What do I need to change, to get 4 k to work on my computer?

Reaction score
I was tech in my younger days, but an abacus wasn't that hard to use. I have tried to resolved my issues, but having to Google every other word cause my head to over heat and lock up. Reboot!

I went from a p3s to a p4 and love it. I videoed the highest plateau east of the Mississippi with fields of scarlet blueberry bushes and white cliffs. I went to edit it and the computer froze. I didn't want to do it, but I then rendered it to what ever it renders it to in Adobe Premier Elements 13 so I could get this video edited.
I now have all the trees flapping their leaves at me and it's still stopping badly. Looks like, well bad.

I would like to list what I have and if some kind soul could tell me what to change to make my computer be able to edit 4 k. I'm not a professional video editor by trade. LOL!!! Just want to make it work.

Pc 133gb - 1.80 tb.
win. 10
Amd A8 - 7600rt 10 computer cores 4 c + 6 G 3.106 GHz
8.6b (6.93) usable
AMD Radeon(TM) R7 graphics
sym type 64 bit opperating sys.
Abobe Premiere Elements 13, Photoshop Elements 13

I'm not sure what I just wrote, remember abacus. If you need more info, I will try my best to get it. Don't laugh at me. I was really good with film photography and was a professional camera man. Even did a pga tournament on Hilton Head.

Probably need a better video card, I put a EVGA G-Force GTX 1050ti in my old computer, now it plays 4k no sweat.

Probably need a better video card, I put a EVGA G-Force GTX 1050ti in my old computer, now it plays 4k no sweat.
Ok, I Googled that. You know what that sucker cost! Oh, sorry. I was saving up for a second battery. As long as it works with my system. If that will do it, then it shall be. I really want to edit my 4K videos. Thanks

Personally, I won't even try to edit 4k without an SSD instead of traditional hard drive.
I Googled that one yesterday I know what SSD is now. If you are not into this stuff, initials do't make it. I am not a gamer. I have a 1 year old 3 trg spinney kind. Will that work at all?

How would I use it, put my editor on that drive? Could I do that now? would it help?

Sorry I don;t think the system you have will not be able to run and view 4K and probably your TV either. Video in 1080 with your craft as the video is pretty good, not as good as 4K but descent. You may also try to recode your 4K to 1080 as this is a improvement in videoing in a lower resolution. You may be able to render your video by selecting smart render or proxies in premiere and recoding to 1080. If you can get this to start on your computer you will have time for a coffee or two as this will take time. This may work as you wait for Santa to get you a faster system, last year I got me a new computer just because I could not view 4K on my older system. Technology is moving fast and it's not easy or cheap to try and keep up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff watson
Sorry I don;t think the system you have will not be able to run and view 4K and probably your TV either. Video in 1080 with your craft as the video is pretty good, not as good as 4K but descent. You may also try to recode your 4K to 1080 as this is a improvement in videoing in a lower resolution. You may be able to render your video by selecting smart render in premiere and recoding to 1080. If you can get this to start on your computer you will have time for a coffee or two as this will take time. This may work as you wait for Santa to get you a faster system, last year I got me a new computer just because I could not view 4K on my older system. Technology is moving fast and it's not easy or cheap to try and keep up.
So you are saying without making a big investment, I'd better stick to 2 K? 2 K is good , but I did this one video in 4K and would like to edit it. My 2 K was jumpy, but the video came out good after it was all done. I tried to render my 4 K on my editor, but it came out really looking bad. Right now I would be real happy with a good 2 K look to it. My one try at rendering didn't go well, maybe I'll try some more on trying to get it down to 2 K. Is there any benefit or way that I can use my 3 trg backup to help in this instance?

How would I use it, put my editor on that drive? Could I do that now? would it help?

You'd install it as your primary drive. This greatly speeds up the operating system (I boot in about 10 seconds). I store my video and photos on my HHD that it replaced. Most video editing software can use "shadow" files. That is, it creates a temp file on your primary drive that it can quick access. made a world of difference to me.

My SSD is a 750GB drive. My HHD is a 1TB drive. All my work is on the 1TB HHD. I then back up everything to an external 4TB drive. I also have a network drive connected to my router and everything is backed up to that.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can't you do this with Proxy editing so you're not editing 4K but the final "edits" are applied to the 4K media. I'm pretty sure you can do this and more with Davinci Resolve 14 (Free).

An SSD drive is going to make any editing much better and playback as well. With that being said, you'll need a fairly current and powerful system to edit 4K. Remember you're working with 4X as much data as 1080p.

Can't you do this with Proxy editing so you're not editing 4K but the final "edits" are applied to the 4K media. I'm pretty sure you can do this and more with Davinci Resolve 14 (Free).

An SSD drive is going to make any editing much better and playback as well. With that being said, you'll need a fairly current and powerful system to edit 4K. Remember you're working with 4X as much data as 1080p.
I'm happy with my unedited 4 K video's movement. I was reading about proxy. I thought by rendering my 4 K and editing that, I would have my proxy, right? Then just replace it with the 4 K with the exact file name. I ran the rendered video to what ever Premiere renders it to and it has the trees waving their leaves at me.(bad looking). While the little bit that the 4 K ran on the premiere looked good except a little lighting adjustment. Will the sub par rendered look transfer to the 4K along with the lighting adjustments?

I thought by rendering my 4 K and editing that, I would have my proxy, right? Then just replace it with the 4 K with the exact file name.

No I don't think that will work. The program creates the proxy and you work with it. When it's done the program applies the changes to the 4K file. This doesn't solve the problem of how to play the 4K video.

Yes, handling 4K video, particularly 4K H.265 will place huge demands on you PC so either edit using proxies or reduce the resolution to HD. I'd prefer to keep it in 4K so that when you do upgrade your PC and can more comfortably handle 4K you'll have the 4K footage to work with -- if you shoot HD you're stuck with HD.

Now, if you are thinking about a new PC then I'd suggest asking around for a good off the shelf PC with 4K editing capabilities and be aware that laptops are not recommended for 4K video editing particularly if the rendering time will be more than a few minutes. A current near top desktop PC will take 1.5-2.5 minutes to render 1 minute of video and even the best laptops will take longer. Running laptops for long periods at max performance will not be advised due to the heat generation.

Brian

I’ve been struggling with this issue also, I shoot 4K and edit in PRemProCC17, once I assemble clips on the time line they will play back fine, but once any color, or fx are applied the play back starts stuttering, stopping, back and forth. Can save as 4K usually at 40-50 CBR and video will play back fine, I’ll load onto iPad and sit on back porch to fine tune my edit. My son keeps mentioning using the proxy method but I’m clueless to the steps of the process. Have ssd, 24gb ram, hi end video card but processor may be my weak link
Above video is what I need to try, thanks
Just watched but wish she would have followed thru on steps to finalize completed video back to 4K with added color and fx

Last edited:
If you have a good PC you can generally view 4K video within PP, but as soon as you do anything to it like effects or transitions you will have a problem when moving between clips. Not much you can do about that unless you're willing to shell out some big bucks for a high end 16-core CPU with high end GPU of the most recent generation. But, using proxies will definitely help.

You can also adapt a work-flow that reserves till the end all those effects and transitions. First cut the video for duration and to make it sequence from scene to scene as you wish -- get that nailed down first. Add audio and get that nailed down. Then do color correction and add effects and transitions. Leaving that stuff for the end allows you to cut the video without much stuttering and then once the video plays as you want it to do the stuff that will slow your video down. Hey, 4K video is REALLY processor intensive -- in essence the PC is dealing with over 8MP images sequencing at, say, 30 times per second.

Brian

My frustration comes when I have it nailed down and sometime later need to edit some things, can all the effects, transitions, etc, be saved, then revert back to just the sequence of raw clips? I start off just as you describe above, it certainly helps until the other stuff starts being inputted.

My frustration comes when I have it nailed down and sometime later need to edit some things, can all the effects, transitions, etc, be saved, then revert back to just the sequence of raw clips? I start off just as you describe above, it certainly helps until the other stuff starts being inputted.

That's an interesting idea and I don't know for sure if there is a way to globally revert back to the raw clips without effects or transitions. I know you can turn off individual effects but I'm not sure about transitions or if there's a way to globally turn off effects and/or transitions. Good question...

Brian

I'd try using Final Cut Pro. It is infinitely faster than premier especially when it comes to 4k. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles adobe has but it's actually crazy how much fast Final Cut is

What ever you do... DON'T get intel graphics! I have Intel, plays 4K fine but for some things it don't or don't at all. Like some editing software (Resolve for one. don't know about others), games (work on low graphics).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20