Ok, Phantom 2 v2 on the way. What else do I need?

Reaction score
This may have been asked before in one way or another but I can't get my head around it with all the information scattered all over.
First, a little background so you answer my questions appropriately:
1) I'm an FAA certified Private Pilot with about 100 hours of flight time
2) I'm a Storage Engineer (Data, backups, IT, etc)
3) I have built and flown an RC plane in the past (Spirit Sailplane 2Meters with a 6 channel Futaba EX)

Goals with drones:
Short term: To use a Phantom 2 to get used to the technology, test systems, and become familiar with all the systems around it.
Medium term: to built a drone using a kit (I bought an F550 frame) and I have the iOSD from the Phantom. Eventually, my F550 will be my main drone.
Long term: To design and built my own drone from scratch in partnership with a friend of mine who's an aerospace engineer.

Ok, now to the drone questions:

I bought a Phantom 2 v2 with the gimbal and an iOSD module.
My short term goal as stated above is to get familiar with the systems, but ultimately, I don't want to do any flying using the remote. All the flying would be done using a ground station. So my first question is, What do I need extra to use ground station (PC edition) connected to my Phantom 2?
I have the iOSD but I know I need an FPV also. is FatShark the best option out there? what's recommended?
My goal is to fly 2-3 miles away and still have telemetry and maybe video. How can I achieve that?

Thank you in advance.

Safe flights!

thanks for the quick response. I'll look into it.
So the BTU unit is just the unit, but the Data Link system comes with the BTU included. correct?

Deathcode said:
thanks for the quick response. I'll look into it.
So the BTU unit is just the unit, but the Data Link system comes with the BTU included. correct?
Right. With the DL, the BTU plugs into the ground-based unit.

ok, one more round of questions. Thank you for the help by the way!
Is the data link system you recommended compatible with both versions of GS? iPad and PC?
Also, what's the range on this? do you know? are there others with better range?
Do you have experience with 3G/LTE connections for the drones? if yes, would you recommend it?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4