What do do I need to know before my first flight?

You are much more likely to damage your props or camera either from a tip over or flying debris hitting the camera than you are injuring yourself. But if you're not comfortable doing it than just land it on the ground.

So much fear mongering here these days. "If you lose a finger, I'll say i told ya so!"
wow....take my advice or die. Then I'll spit in your widows face when she cries over you getting killed by a "toy"

Reactions: phantom13flyer
First thing is update the firmware. Doesn't matter if you just bought it. When you get to the field, calibrate the compass.

Somewhat of a newbie myself, I started by using the autotakeoff and autoland in a big short cut grassy field. Very easy.

The RTH needs some distance to work properly. I suggest about a hundred feet. If you are too close to it, it will just come straight down and auto land. You can hit the throttle and lift up if it is coming down somewhere you don't want it.

Get some altitude, stay away from trees, power lines, buildings. I practiced making square circles. Straight line away from you 90 degree turn, straight line, 90 degree turn toward you, etc. Working with the yaw and rotate. Go slowly. Make a circle in a clockwise direction. When you are comfortable with this, make counterclockwise circles. KEEP THE BIRD IN SIGHT!

Keep an eye on your mobile device screen and be aware that when the bird is coming at you, the rotate, yaw and directions are reversed. ie, what is right turn will be left. Your 'forward' stick will bring it right to you. Practice until it becomes second nature and if you get confused, let go of everything and it will hover.

It is a good idea to have a partner with binoculars. It is a sick feeling to look up in the sky and not see the bird.

Last edited:
Do not hit RTH under a tree. I did and was inches away from hitting a limb before it disabled. Also I know it's obvious but when you are flying it (fast) allow plenty of room to stop. Almost hit a tree like that as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I habe had it out a few times now and haven't had any issues or near misses (yet).

For those starting out, what do you recommend setting the distance caps at? I started in beginner mode and want to get a bit more range, but I'm not sure what is a good distance to work from.

Thanks

Does the beginner mode only restrict distance?
If so surely just turning it off would be ok?

All the DJI manuals are online, and you can save them, in PDFs to your mobile device.
Handy to have with you, at the flying field or while enjoying a morning cup of coffee.....
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

RedHotPoker

When first starting to fly I would leave Begginer Mode on. Keep the Phantom within sight and first practice with the camera facing away from you so the controls will be easier.

Don't forget to calibrate it before first use. There is a great video on YouTube regarding the DJI Pilot app. I highly recommend you watch it a few times. There are a lot of settings and he does a goos job of addressing pretty much all of them.

I always hand catch. Avoids dirt, and looking foolish if it tips over upon landing (which they often do). Just one thing, hover the aircraft downwind from you, then walk up and catch a leg.

Of course, there will always be those who advocate hand catching and those who think you are Beelzebub's brother if you do. Find your own space.

Avoid trees. A phantom can get stuck up there and can be quite hard to retrieve.

Understand RTH, Autoland, and what will happen if it drops into ATTI mode. You could be rather scared if it happens in an enclosed space, for example - in a clearing in a forest, or beside tall buildings. If it goes from GPS to ATTI mode, the wind will make it drift and you will think you're doing something wrong. Just learn to use ATTI in a big space, and progressively get better at identifying when it happens.

Enjoy it!

I would also add this important tip:

Make sure you along with the controller are in a open space so that if you need to use the RTH feature the P3 can get back to you safely. On that same note I would go into the settings and manually set the RTH altitude to a fairly high setting so that when the RTH feature is used it is hovering well above of any obstructions.

I always hand catch. Avoids dirt, and looking foolish if it tips over upon landing (which they often do). Just one thing, hover the aircraft downwind from you, then walk up and catch a leg.

Of course, there will always be those who advocate hand catching and those who think you are Beelzebub's brother if you do. Find your own space.

Avoid trees. A phantom can get stuck up there and can be quite hard to retrieve.

Understand RTH, Autoland, and what will happen if it drops into ATTI mode. You could be rather scared if it happens in an enclosed space, for example - in a clearing in a forest, or beside tall buildings. If it goes from GPS to ATTI mode, the wind will make it drift and you will think you're doing something wrong. Just learn to use ATTI in a big space, and progressively get better at identifying when it happens.

Enjoy it!
Good point about the landing. If you're not careful you can pretty easily tip over the P3 leading to the props scraping the ground potentially breaking the props or blowing out a motor(s)

I would say take great care landing and try to do it manually. Bring it down a few feet off the ground and let it hover for a second. Then gently manually lower it to the ground. Immediately after landing hold down the left stick to turn the P3 off.

Reactions: happydays

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik