What are best practices for safe flying?

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of guidelines about not flying over people, roads, etc. I've also seen a lot of videos that clearly don't follow that advice.- some more egregious than others. What's considered safe for your flight paths?.

We also all taken photos of the family with our drones. What's a reasonably safe distance for shots above and below?

Regret factors are high so I would value some good practical advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Consider how many "Epic Fail" videos are on You Tube... Not for drones, for anything and everything.
Fact is, there are lots of people in this world that choose to throw caution to the wind, not follow safety
guidelines (in some instances they don't follow directions) and do crazy/stupid things.
"Hold my beer and watch this" being their War Cry. So don't think it's O.K. because someone else does it.

I've banned myself from flying within 2 miles of active airports. Planes on final approach could be as low
as 5-600 ft up which is way too close to the 400 ft 'safety ceiling'. Flying 2-5 miles out from an airport, I will
call the airport, and let them know where I plan to fly, when, and my planned max altitude. I've only been thanked for doing
so, and told 'do not fly' once, due to low altitude military operations close by. I was allowed to fly the next day though!

I do not fly in public areas 'of interest' unless the area is void of people. I WILL get to a place at 6:30 to 7:00 AM
to photograph the area when the rest of the world isn't around, but I won't fly a scenic attraction mid-day when there's
a bunch of sightseers roaming about.

If someone approaches me and is uncomfortable with me flying, I tell them I'd be glad to land the UAV and move somewhere else,
letting them know it was not my intention to bother them. Always be polite and respectful.

I do not fly over communities or neighborhoods. In most cases there's little to photograph to begin with. I try not to put
my UAV over anything that I might have to pay to fix, if the UAV fell out of the sky.

When I fly in parks (not often), I check to see if there's any restrictions. It's usually on the web site.

Then there's the safety guidelines stated by your Government, or its agencies... I abide by the FAA rules wherever
they apply.

Reactions: yrnosam1 and Erised

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1