Dragonfly Takes Down Drone...

Reaction score
I kid you not. Our Phantom 3 was taken down by a dragonfly.

Our research team is doing a study of meadows that are being restored to their former wetland condition. We are mapping the meadows using a MicaSense RedEdge 5-band camera attached to a Solo. So far we've mapped four meadows, one of which is about 120 hectares (300 acres), requiring about a couple of hours of flights. Our altitude AGL was 80 m (260 ft).

During landing especially, we often noticed dragonflies flying in the vicinity. Due to the meadow restoration, dragonfly habitat has been greatly increased, as has habitat for all kinds of birds, all a good thing. Of course, the sheep herders also like the restoration.

At the end of the survey, we had a bit of time to do some flight training, so I pulled out our Phantom 3 (which doesn't have an expensive sensor attached to it) to demonstrate the controls for flying manually, and maybe shoot a little video of the meadow. I sent it up to about 30 m (100 ft) and was demonstrating the various manual controls, when suddenly it was attacked by a dragonfly, clearly seen by the team -- it went right at it. Seconds later the aircraft went out of control as a propeller flew off and drifted to the ground. I wish I could say that the aircraft drifted down, but it instead accelerated into the ground, destroying the gimbal and camera connection at least, as well as the three remaining propellers.

After puzzling over what happened, I've come up with the following theory:

The dragonfly was going for one of the red lights at the front of the drone and ended up getting jammed into the motor, very near the red light. That froze the motor and the still moving propeller simply unscrewed from the post -- that being the direction they are turning, given the self-tightening design (unless I'm confused about how this works).

So why did this never happen to the Solo, which we flew for so long in an environment with many dragonflies? I think because (a) we weren't spending a lot of time relatively close to the ground where dragonflies hang out; and (b) Solos are black, so to the very visually-oriented dragonflies they look more like a big bird they're not likely going to want to attack, unlike the white Phantom which might blend in with the sky.

There you have it: Dragonfly Takes Down Drone.

Interesting theory, especially since you witnessed the dragonfly attack it, but I find it difficult to visualize. I would think the downward rush of air from a prop would overcome a featherweight dragonfly's ability to fly into a motor. And I wouldn't think a soft-bodied insect could suddenly jam a motor like that as it spins at such high RPMs. Did you find any evidence of it when you recovered the drone?

Reactions: BigAl07
First off, WELCOME to the forum :)

It could have been several reasons why it was "attacked" but I have noticed that bees and butterflies are attacked to our buzzing quads. I've seen dozens of each fly straight into the blades as if kamikaze pilots.
Last week I was buzzed several times by a pair of humming birds repeatedly. They never made contact but it sure looked VERY close.

Hopefully you can get your P3 back up and running quickly and cheaply.

Of course the more time your loiter in the vicinity of the "native" creatures the higher your likelihood of a hostile encounter.

This is was hex and octo coptors are nice to have --- one motor/prop can go but it can still limp on back home.

Interesting theory, especially since you witnessed the dragonfly attack it, but I find it difficult to visualize. I would think the downward rush of air from a prop would overcome a featherweight dragonfly's ability to fly into a motor. And I wouldn't think a soft-bodied insect could suddenly jam a motor like that as it spins at such high RPMs. Did you find any evidence of it when you recovered the drone?

No evidence of any remains of the dragonfly, though it could have blown out and it was a hard crash -- at -13 m/s according to the flight log. But my main rationale for the theory is 3-fold: (a) the propeller came off for one thing -- what else could cause that? I'm asking, maybe someone has another idea; (b) no damage at all to that propeller nor to the post it was mounted on; and (c) it came off right after we saw the dragonfly fly at it. Everything was working perfectly until then -- the event happened 41 s into the flight, which included various manual maneuvers.

This is was hex and octo coptors are nice to have --- one motor/prop can go but it can still limp on back home.

Yes, and that's why we previously went with hex- and octo-copters, but I found them difficult to fly so went with a Phantom and a Solo since they're very easy to fly. But that was a few years ago, so maybe now there are octocopters that are as easy to fly as the Phantom or Solo.

Yes, and that's why we previously went with hex- and octo-copters, but I found them difficult to fly so went with a Phantom and a Solo since they're very easy to fly. But that was a few years ago, so maybe now there are octocopters that are as easy to fly as the Phantom or Solo.

I think the flight computer software is much better now, but that's just a guess. I've never flown a hex or octo (I hope to soon though!), but I gotta think they are better than even just a few years ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1