What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
I’m a new owner of a V1 P4P but I’m have trouble achieving the advertised distance in the specs of 500 meters altitude and 8000 meter distance i can only fly to 1/2 of that spec before it comes back to me what is the secret that I am missing please help

I’m a new owner of a V1 P4P but I’m have trouble achieving the advertised distance in the specs of 500 meters altitude and 8000 meter distance i can only fly to 1/2 of that spec before it comes back to me what is the secret that I am missing please help
The distance is going to depend on several factors, particularly the interference in your flying area.
Note the part I've underlined from the specs.

Max Transmission Distance 2.400 - 2.483 GHz (Unobstructed, free of interference) FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km)

i can only fly to 1/2 of that spec before it comes back to me what is the secret that I am missing please help
Added to the above, also your antenna orientation in relation to the aircraft.

Make sure you have 500 m max turned off.
This is the maximum altitude. It cannot be turned off. Adjust lower, yes. Max distance can be turned off.

Terrain, interference, and atmospheric conditions can all contribute to range limitations. I know that based on where I fly, I rarely get more than 2,000m distance.

The distance is going to depend on several factors, particularly the interference in your flying area.
Note the part I've underlined from the specs.

Max Transmission Distance 2.400 - 2.483 GHz (Unobstructed, free of interference) FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km)

For me 5.8 auto is best but still not distance in spec from dji

Does this work or gimmick
Oh, it works for sure. It directs all your communication towards the bird, instead of the basic 360 scenario. You do have to mind the direction the transmitter is facing.

Reactions: Jim Canada
It's still going to vary a lot with your local interference environment.
Go to the desert or over the ocean for max range.
Expect considerably less in an urban environment.

Are you being funny with the reply, is that info in the book concerning desert and ocean flying

I think he was being serious. The more flat/desolate the area, the best chances for long distances.

Reactions: Jim Canada
Are you being funny with the reply, is that info in the book concerning desert and ocean flying
Meta4 was being exact and serious in his post above, you cannot depend on these distances each time. The numbers are under IDEAL circumstances. And If you are not in the US, you wont get those.

P4Specs.PNG

Just curious, but how do you fly a distance of 2000m? I thought Transport Minister, Marc Garneau imposed a very strict "Line of Sight" and/or 500m restriction in Canada.

Bud

Terrain, interference, and atmospheric conditions can all contribute to range limitations. I know that based on where I fly, I rarely get more than 2,000m distance.

Last edited:
I can't help you with any experience flying beyond VLOS or above 400'. I'd be curious as to what flight objective you have that requires the ranges you speak of.

I'm thinking it would be a whole lot better if DJI hadn't advertised such extended flight distances.
Some folks are bound to test their models based on such info. if for no other reason than to challenge claims made the manufacturer.
The OP may very well be an example of such activity, plain and simple, as I'm sure you are all well aware of, but simply want to help this individual better understand how the equipment works, this obviously to no avail. C' est La Vie : )

Last edited:
I'm thinking it would be a whole lot better if DJI hadn't advertised such extended flight distances.
Some folks are bound to test their models based on such info. if for no other reason than to challenge claims made the manufacturer.
The OP may very well be an example of such activity, plain and simple, as I'm sure you are all well aware of, but simply want to help this individual better understand how the equipment works, this obviously to no avail. C' est La Vie : )

If a manufacturer sells a product and advertises specs the product should be capable of reaching the specs if not consumers have the right to ask questions if you have a problem with that then you just have a problem...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers