What’s with the neighbors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Imagine this, I live in the country, however in a small 24 mobile home court, I’m Air Force retired and have a beautiful lot 1/2 acre and 2 car garage check it out called clear Creek estates in Cadott, WI nice cheap living and I flew my drone out there for 3 years, then one day a neighbor posted on the court Facebook group that whoever is flying this drone over my place I will shoot the f thing down, I keep outside of the boundaries of the court at 140 ft with litchi app, when my other neighbor who let me know she posted this, I contacted the court owner and he is cool he says he don’t mind me flying at all and I explained I have video and my flight path all on record, what bothers me is he called the neighbor after I texted him, she is over 2 rows away by the way and she lied and said I flew over her garage and hovered for 15 mins and did it 3 times... the court owner was still Cool and told me to make sure I don’t do it over residences, but he kicked her out of the Facebook group cause she swore and was gonna shoot me out of the sky...my question is this how can you report or guard against this kind of lying, and that would be anything or any where I go how do you defend against this? I was 140 ft in the air even and out of bounds to take a video of the court because it is so nice, can you report her, can you do anything? What happens if I fly and they call the police and lie? I always stay legal I am a private pilot even, and know better. It it just ain’t right to ruin or try to ruin the hobby makes me scared to fly even

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Worst case scenario, you have a flight record. It's your word against hers. Let her run her lying mouth all day, once the cops listen to her and listen to you...ie calm, composed, experienced, offering to supply flight record...they will leave you alone. The next time she calls they might just come by and ask you to fly the drone so they can watch...who knows...you may just make friends with the department.

Fwiw...my neighbors know I fly all the time (tracking turkeys in the area). But one day my neighbor ran over to ask if it was me flyong over his house..i said yes...he said "well im glad, because if it was that other neighbor I would have shot it down!"...now I understand, but if you can shoot a moving drone out of the sky at 200-300 ft with a rifle, then you deserve an award!

anyone who tries to shoot down a drone with a RIFLE is more then a moron and will go to jail for reckless endangerment . those bullets come down . even if he hits the drone fragments will travel far and wide . it's jail time for people like that

anyone who tries to shoot down a drone with a RIFLE is more then a moron and will go to jail for reckless endangerment . those bullets come down . even if he hits the drone fragments will travel far and wide . it's jail time for people like that

Sadly I don't think that's always the case. I'm pretty sure there was a situation not too long ago where someone shot at a drone (didn't hit it, but still fired in the sky), the cops were called, they came and talked to the person, but ended up doing nothing.

However, as long as the OP keeps record and video and stays calm and polite if the cops are called, I wouldn't worry. Personally, I would fly higher than 140 ft though.

Reactions: DR.B
Sadly I don't think that's always the case. I'm pretty sure there was a situation not too long ago where someone shot at a drone (didn't hit it, but still fired in the sky), the cops were called, they came and talked to the person, but ended up doing nothing.

However, as long as the OP keeps record and video and stays calm and polite if the cops are called, I wouldn't worry. Personally, I would fly higher than 140 ft though.
Try that in a neighborhood and it would be . if the cops did nothing then the cops were in the wrong . i would be sure they press charges if someone did that around me . hell i would file charges . people just can't go around shooting bullets in the air and they sure have no right shooting at drones no matter where they see them . someone will get killed either buy some DS or a drone pilot that won't take any BS

Reactions: Wilbur
Police typically need to witness or see evidence of the ‘crime’.

Just cause someone says this or that occurred does not typically meet that level of credibility.

You're a an AF veteran, private pilot and have flight records to show exactly where you were flying. In the "her words against his" scenario, I don't think you'd have any trouble with the police. Irrespective, there is generally not much they can do without her providing proof. I'm not even sure what crime she would allege you were committing based on her false narrative.

I

Reactions: KentA
police do not need to witness a crime . shoot a rifle in the air and there will be witnesses . unless it's an air gun that can't be heard or your out in the middle of nowhere and even then they can tell if a rifle has been shot .

Many people think........these drones have "Zoom Lens"..and we can fly 150 feet in the air and Zoom on their property's !

When ever i'm airborne and i get a on looker....I always explain I can't zoom the lens out and then i explain all about my drone and many times....i fly it back to 25 or 35 feet away and land it so they can take a good look at it....Public relations are great that way...too bad some are mean and want to cause issues to a Great FUN Sport.

May I suggest it may be worth trying to find out why this person is against flying, usually fear and perception, or just doesn’t like the sound (which one can understand even if not agree with). Being ‘right’ is not in doubt imho, trying to resolve matter in a friendly communicative manner is worth a try - we all have a big ongoing job around the world to improve perceptions with some members of public

Many people think........these drones have "Zoom Lens"..and we can fly 150 feet in the air and Zoom on their property's !

When ever i'm airborne and i get a on looker....I always explain I can't zoom the lens out and then i explain all about my drone and many times....i fly it back to 25 or 35 feet away and land it so they can take a good look at it....Public relations are great that way...too bad some are mean and want to cause issues to a Great FUN Sport.

Keep in mind that many newer units now do have "Digital Zoom" so that whole "We don't even have zoom capability" argument is going out the window quickly. Some of the higher end cameras for the Inspire and Matrice series have some pretty phenomenal zoom actually.

Keep in mind that many newer units now do have "Digital Zoom" so that whole "We don't even have zoom capability" argument is going out the window quickly. Some of the higher end cameras for the Inspire and Matrice series have some pretty phenomenal zoom actually.

While that's true, I'd still guess a majority of the drone market (85-95%?) is made up of Phantoms, Mavics, and Sparks. So right now the Inspires and Matrices are not so common place. However, it's possible that most the photography drones will have legitimate zoom lenses in 5-10 years.

Worst case scenario, you have a flight record. It's your word against hers. Let her run her lying mouth all day, once the cops listen to her and listen to you...ie calm, composed, experienced, offering to supply flight record...they will leave you alone. The next time she calls they might just come by and ask you to fly the drone so they can watch...who knows...you may just make friends with the department.

Fwiw...my neighbors know I fly all the time (tracking turkeys in the area). But one day my neighbor ran over to ask if it was me flyong over his house..i said yes...he said "well im glad, because if it was that other neighbor I would have shot it down!"...now I understand, but if you can shoot a moving drone out of the sky at 200-300 ft with a rifle, then you deserve an award!

It’s actually a federal offense to shoot a drone down!!! Do some research and you’ll find out! Serious offense! Not to mention the old “what goes up must come down” they don’t play around when it comes to shooting aircraft down!!!

You’ve taken your video, try and avoid her place for a while. For all you know maybe someone besides you was flying over her garage. If you’re 140 feet unless you’re right over her house it’s not going to be easy to see. Even though you’re in the right sometimes we need to try and avoid stirring up the crazy’s

The only "award" someone should get for doing that is the "DUMBEST SHOOTER IN THE WORLD" Award.

Shooting at anything (in the air) with a rifle is an extremely dangerous and very irresponsible thing to do. Unless you know where your bullet is going to stop, you should never shoot at anything, in the air or on the ground with a rifle. Knowing where your bullet is going to stop is one of the most fundamental shooting rules, and to disrespect this important safety rule is just asking for trouble.

Bud

I have given up on being nice, or even explaining to people what i am doing. I do not tell them I have a FAA licenses, Its none of their business, they are not law enforcement. I don't tell them who I am working for, its none of their business. If they ask what I am doing and I am in close proximity to their 'person or residence' I just say that I am licensed, insured and I am flying legally. If they become more aggressive after the point I start recording them with my phone and offer to call the police to help resolve the matter. :) that usually ends the confrontation.

Unfortunately the police don't always know what to do when it comes to drone flying. They will sometimes visit the drone flyer and give then grief. There are many YouTube videos out there to prove it. The OP has a right to be concerned.

Last edited:
The case of the Kentucky man (Wm. Merideth) who shot down a drone was dismissed by the judge. At present, there are no rulings (in America) about who owns the airspace over private property. I think the judge may have dismissed the case because he didn't want to set a precedent.
Judge dismisses charges for man who shot down drone

While that's true, I'd still guess a majority of the drone market (85-95%?) is made up of Phantoms, Mavics, and Sparks. So right now the Inspires and Matrices are not so common place. However, it's possible that most the photography drones will have legitimate zoom lenses in 5-10 years.

Even you have no zoom lens, you still can zoom in with post processing software for 4k video.

The new Autel EVO and Parrot Anafi have a capable zoom function. But we're getting off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT