What’s with the neighbors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst case scenario, you have a flight record. It's your word against hers. Let her run her lying mouth all day, once the cops listen to her and listen to you...ie calm, composed, experienced, offering to supply flight record...they will leave you alone. The next time she calls they might just come by and ask you to fly the drone so they can watch...who knows...you may just make friends with the department.

Fwiw...my neighbors know I fly all the time (tracking turkeys in the area). But one day my neighbor ran over to ask if it was me flyong over his house..i said yes...he said "well im glad, because if it was that other neighbor I would have shot it down!"...now I understand, but if you can shoot a moving drone out of the sky at 200-300 ft with a rifle, then you deserve an award!
Notice these neighbor's who complain never grab their cell phones and take a video as proof. At least you have your flight log info.

Even you have no zoom lens, you still can zoom in with post processing software for 4k video.

Oooo. look at the [Language Removed by Moderator] on that fully-clothed elderly lady, out in her yard, in this low-quality, digitally-zoomed / pixelated image!

They'll never get that.

Shooting aircraft out of the sky is serious. That judge may have dismissed that one case, but if any of the drone parts (or the bullet itself as has been mentioned) comes down and damage someone's property or injures, then the shooter will be liable.

But you don't have to go into those specifics -- you can just say on that FB page "Shooting aircraft out of the sky (manned or unmanned) is a federal offense and is just not a good idea at all". That usually ends the discussion. Even if it doesn't, you've given that person something to think about and that will probably stay their trigger finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: N017RW
Somebody explain to me the great rewards to be obtained by flying over neighborhoods. What's the compelling thrill?

Seems like it's asking for trouble. Doesn't matter who's right or wrong, whether the police are involved, what the flight logs say, who's licensed,. etc etc, there's always trouble. Or perhaps that's the big attraction, getting some drama Into your boring life.

When I fly I get as far from people and habitations as I can. Don't want trouble, don't need it, never had it.

Imagine this, I live in the country, however in a small 24 mobile home court, I’m Air Force retired and have a beautiful lot 1/2 acre and 2 car garage check it out called clear Creek estates in Cadott, WI nice cheap living and I flew my drone out there for 3 years, then one day a neighbor posted on the court Facebook group that whoever is flying this drone over my place I will shoot the f thing down, I keep outside of the boundaries of the court at 140 ft with litchi app, when my other neighbor who let me know she posted this, I contacted the court owner and he is cool he says he don’t mind me flying at all and I explained I have video and my flight path all on record, what bothers me is he called the neighbor after I texted him, she is over 2 rows away by the way and she lied and said I flew over her garage and hovered for 15 mins and did it 3 times... the court owner was still Cool and told me to make sure I don’t do it over residences, but he kicked her out of the Facebook group cause she swore and was gonna shoot me out of the sky...my question is this how can you report or guard against this kind of lying, and that would be anything or any where I go how do you defend against this? I was 140 ft in the air even and out of bounds to take a video of the court because it is so nice, can you report her, can you do anything? What happens if I fly and they call the police and lie? I always stay legal I am a private pilot even, and know better. It it just ain’t right to ruin or try to ruin the hobby makes me scared to fly even
Imagine this, I live in the country, however in a small 24 mobile home court, I’m Air Force retired and have a beautiful lot 1/2 acre and 2 car garage check it out called clear Creek estates in Cadott, WI nice cheap living and I flew my drone out there for 3 years, then one day a neighbor posted on the court Facebook group that whoever is flying this drone over my place I will shoot the f thing down, I keep outside of the boundaries of the court at 140 ft with litchi app, when my other neighbor who let me know she posted this, I contacted the court owner and he is cool he says he don’t mind me flying at all and I explained I have video and my flight path all on record, what bothers me is he called the neighbor after I texted him, she is over 2 rows away by the way and she lied and said I flew over her garage and hovered for 15 mins and did it 3 times... the court owner was still Cool and told me to make sure I don’t do it over residences, but he kicked her out of the Facebook group cause she swore and was gonna shoot me out of the sky...my question is this how can you report or guard against this kind of lying, and that would be anything or any where I go how do you defend against this? I was 140 ft in the air even and out of bounds to take a video of the court because it is so nice, can you report her, can you do anything? What happens if I fly and they call the police and lie? I always stay legal I am a private pilot even, and know better. It it just ain’t right to ruin or try to ruin the hobby makes me scared to fly even

Per federal code, anyone who damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks an aircraft, or willfully imparts or conveys any threat to do so is committing a federal offense :
U.S. Code, Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 2 - AIRCRAFT AND MOTOR VEHICLES
Sec. 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities

Imagine this, I live in the country, however in a small 24 mobile home court, I’m Air Force retired and have a beautiful lot 1/2 acre and 2 car garage check it out called clear Creek estates in Cadott, WI nice cheap living and I flew my drone out there for 3 years, then one day a neighbor posted on the court Facebook group that whoever is flying this drone over my place I will shoot the f thing down, I keep outside of the boundaries of the court at 140 ft with litchi app, when my other neighbor who let me know she posted this, I contacted the court owner and he is cool he says he don’t mind me flying at all and I explained I have video and my flight path all on record, what bothers me is he called the neighbor after I texted him, she is over 2 rows away by the way and she lied and said I flew over her garage and hovered for 15 mins and did it 3 times... the court owner was still Cool and told me to make sure I don’t do it over residences, but he kicked her out of the Facebook group cause she swore and was gonna shoot me out of the sky...my question is this how can you report or guard against this kind of lying, and that would be anything or any where I go how do you defend against this? I was 140 ft in the air even and out of bounds to take a video of the court because it is so nice, can you report her, can you do anything? What happens if I fly and they call the police and lie? I always stay legal I am a private pilot even, and know better. It it just ain’t right to ruin or try to ruin t

So far, I have only been watching this site as I am a rank beginner when it comes to flying drones, but commercially licensed in rotorcraft - helicopter, with ASEL private privileges. I flew helicopters in 'Nam and am very excited to get into drones.

Since I also live in a rural setting, with questionable neighbors, I have hesitated flying one over my property - or in my area. Although I have had my Phantom 3 Pro from the time it came out, I have yet to fly it - partly because of the reason behind the current post and also because a lot of bad press was coming out then about drones and how people were flying them. (I was also ill, but that's another story. )

So, the excitement is back, but also the apprehension of dealing with angry onlookers. After a career in the psychology field, I developed an interest in why some people would be so hostile toward drones - both out of curiosity and to develop a strategy in the event of confrontation.

First, it's not likely we are even likely to do real damage with our little aircraft, unless we fly them into full scale aircraft. Folks can also get really pissed when full-sized helicopters are landed in their neighborhood. I'll never forget that old papasan in Vietnam who got so angry when we kept blowing his grass-roof shed over as we landed in the adjacent field to work on building a village school house.

But here are some hopeful solutions I think might help help reduce the chance of altercations and/or loss of your drone by shoot down.

First, as others have said, it's a federal offense to shoot down an aircraft - and that includes drones. That word needs to get out to as many people as possible. I have been delighted that, when the FAA rules complexities dust finally settled, both drones and their pilots have been fully accepted into the aviation community. So, first, it helps us to present ourselves in as responsible and even professional way as possible.

This approach should reduce the likelihood of conflict while flying. Watching YouTube videos, I have noticed that confrontations seem to typically involve some older busybody confronting a young drone flyer who is actually minding his own business. In these cases, the pilot was dressed very casually and his activities also appeared casually-driven - as it was his right to be that way. But, I think it is the combination of youth and carefree, casual presentation that invites older, technology-fearing bully-types to intrude on a nice day of flying.

So, there are some things we can do to reduce the chance of possible conflict.

First, it helps to present ourselves as professionally as possible when we are flying - even if it's only to wear an official- looking vest over whatever else we put on. The FAA is now encouraging the use of boldly colored, reflective safety vests to ward off those who would distract us from piloting, and thus would create a potentially dangerous situation. These vests, and signs, are available through Amazon and other vendors.

I am studying to get my commercial drone license (no small feat! ) and have been kitting up my gear to include labeled vests, warning signs, small safety cones, etc., that convey an official "Do not distract the pilot" theme. Beyond the FAA encouraging this, setting the flight staging area conveys a respect and recognition of the serious responsibility of flying - even if we are doing it for pure enjoyment. Also, any sense of officiality wards off the cops, for the most part - especially if you have your certificate.

Finally, some thoughts if anybody actually wants to shoot down your drone. In Vietnam, most of our flying was either "on the deck" or over small arms range (as I recall, about 1200 AGL). Now, that's not actual range, but what experience taught us is a safer altitude due to difficulty of small arms fire actually targeting and hitting the aircraft. I can tell you they didn't always miss, but we established that as a "safe" standard in our unit.

How would that translate in drone flying? If we translate that to scale altitudes, given the relative small size of drones, maintaining that 300 foot minimum altitude, when flying over possibly hostile territory, should significantly reduce the chances of being hit by ground fire. Rifles are not that accurate, in general, against a flying, moving, target. Shotguns may pose a higher threat - especially at a lower altitude.

There are some evasive maneuvers you can employ, in the event your drone becomes a target. You are hoping the first shot misses... it's always the first shot most likely to get you... Or, you spot somebody aiming at your drone. Any sudden maneuver will throw aim off, but it is especially difficult to accurately paint a rapidly-rising target. In such a situation, I would climb to maximum altitude as quickly as possible, spiraling if it doesn't compromise altitude gain, then hit the return home button. If possible, have your partner record the incident on cell phone. Zig-zagging can help after that, but don't do it in a consistent pattern.

By the way, watching some of those kids get undeserved tongue-lashings for simply flying their drones in the proximity of bullies has been something of an inspiration for me because of their forbearance and politeness. I'm not sure I could be so polite in the face of the tongue lashings I saw in the videos!

I hope your neighbor will come to her senses and leave you to your flying. Btw, you might try wearing your old Air Force hat when you do. She might respect your service, but if she doesn't and she is paranoid-enough, she might wonder if your drone could be a threat and leave you alone!

Sorry for the long post! I am learning a lot from you guys and saw an opportunity to maybe give back a little.

police do not need to witness a crime . shoot a rifle in the air and there will be witnesses . unless it's an air gun that can't be heard or your out in the middle of nowhere and even then they can tell if a rifle has been shot .
You are correct. Probable cause for arrest can be many different things. I used to just go ask the person if they were shooting. You'd be shocked at the number of people who will admit to doing something stupid.

When I was a young lad, living in So Cal, I flew R/C sailplanes (gliders). I preferred "slope soaring" so I would go out to the country to a nice hill that got some thermal and coastal air flow that had awesome lift. This hill was at the border of L.A. County (no shooting) and Ventura County (shooting legal). Some folks pulled into the spot just the other side of L.A. County and began to target shoot. Within minutes, I heard a whiz passed my head followed by the crack of a rifle milliseconds later. Scared the you-know-what out of me. I figured it was a fluke and stepped back a few yards. A minute later, same thing! I clambered down behind the ridge and quickly landed my plane. They weren't shooting at ME per se, they were shooting at the glider, but it just goes to show you how callous and STUPID some people are. A bullet from a rifle or handgun will travel a great distance (1 to 2 miles!). When it comes down, it occasionally kills or injures innocent people. Especially true with higher caliber (heavier) projectiles. Bottom line........ BE CAREFUL and watch out for ole Number One. The obituary you avoid listing in may be your own!

No anti or pro gun stuff from this please. I'm a life member of the NRA, so I am NOT attacking firearms.

May be there's another neigbour flying over her property. So, she's wrong accusing you with no evidence at all, but she might actually have a bird flying around.

The case of the Kentucky man (Wm. Merideth) who shot down a drone was dismissed by the judge. At present, there are no rulings (in America) about who owns the airspace over private property. I think the judge may have dismissed the case because he didn't want to set a precedent.
Judge dismisses charges for man who shot down drone

Actually, the Supreme Court has addressed that issue: "In 1946, the landmark case, United States v. Causby, 328 U.S. 256 (1946), the Supreme Court issued foundational guidance as to what extent private property owners actually own and may control airspace over their property."

"The Court stated that landowners have 'exclusive control of the immediate reaches of the enveloping atmosphere,' and that 'the landowner owns at least as much of the space above the ground as they can occupy or use in connection with the land.'”

Reactions: BigAl07
While that's true, I'd still guess a majority of the drone market (85-95%?) is made up of Phantoms, Mavics, and Sparks. So right now the Inspires and Matrices are not so common place. However, it's possible that most the photography drones will have legitimate zoom lenses in 5-10 years.

Mavic has "Zoom" albeit digital but it's still zoom.

Just think. You get to fly. All she has left is pitching about other people. Who has the better path?

anyone who tries to shoot down a drone with a RIFLE is more then a moron and will go to jail for reckless endangerment . those bullets come down . even if he hits the drone fragments will travel far and wide . it's jail time for people like that
Did anyone specify that she'd be using a rifle? Maybe a shotgun. It's true that a rifle bullet will go 1 to 3 miles depending on caliber, but a shotgun is more-or-less made to be shot into the air. Pellets don't go far, and come down fairly harmless. Lots of discussion on rifles when I didn't see that anywhere until the replies started coming. I mean, a shotgun would be a much better weapon for drone shooting, right? :)

Somebody explain to me the great rewards to be obtained by flying over neighborhoods. What's the compelling thrill?

Seems like it's asking for trouble. Doesn't matter who's right or wrong, whether the police are involved, what the flight logs say, who's licensed,. etc etc, there's always trouble. Or perhaps that's the big attraction, getting some drama Into your boring life.

When I fly I get as far from people and habitations as I can. Don't want trouble, don't need it, never had it.

I think a lot depends on your home “base” locale.

Those within neighborhoods shouldn’t feel they have to load up, drive miles, and setup pre-plan for one or two simple flights.

Others live in more open/isolated areas and are able to fly more autonomously from home.

I hate to jump to conclusions, but that video makes me think it's another instance of white people calling cops for people who are not white engaging in harmless, legal activities. And you should have been the one calling the cops. That man is menacing you. That's illegal. There may also be laws on the books in your state for interfering with commerce, which may or may not be useful to you if you wish to pursue justice.

Reactions: AeroEyez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl