What’s with the neighbors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to jump to conclusions, but that video makes me think it's another instance of white people calling cops for people who are not white engaging in harmless, legal activities. And you should have been the one calling the cops. That man is menacing you. That's illegal. There may also be laws on the books in your state for interfering with commerce, which may or may not be useful to you if you wish to pursue justice.

I really didn't want to take it there but I did want to address the fact that at first he stated that he felt "uncomfortable" when the drone wasn't even in sight. What exactly was he "uncomfortable" about? Because there's an Asian guy on a public street minding his own business? I thank you for your support and for watching. I just wanted to document what is now becoming a daily occurrence for me and my business.

Reactions: bad karma
Come on, it's not a race thing, the guys an idiot that's all. You're a better man than me. I would have ended up in the back of the police wagon cuz the dude would have been laid out by the time the police got there. Well done keeping your cool

I really didn't want to take it there but I did want to address the fact that at first he stated that he felt "uncomfortable" when the drone wasn't even in sight. What exactly was he "uncomfortable" about? Because there's an Asian guy on a public street minding his own business? I thank you for your support and for watching. I just wanted to document what is now becoming a daily occurrence for me and my business.
I can explain it to them but I can't understand it for them he made an [Language Removed by Moderator] out of his self

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to jump to conclusions, but that video makes me think it's another instance of white people calling cops for people who are not white engaging in harmless, legal activities. And you should have been the one calling the cops. That man is menacing you. That's illegal. There may also be laws on the books in your state for interfering with commerce, which may or may not be useful to you if you wish to pursue justice.

I'm calling BS on that one Andy. Color is NOT a factor. It's called DRONE PARANOIA and not a race thing. Please do not try and drop the race card because nothing in that video was anything more than Drone FEAR!

Cops got called on me while flying nowhere near the property, on a public street following Part 107 rules and regulations. Some people are just paranoid.

Excellent job of keeping your cool!

And since this is a family-friendly site I can't use the words that I'm thinking of to describe that guy.

Good job

20180721_000845.jpg
Ha it just made "breaking news",,got notified 2 min ago
20180721_000510.jpg

I just wanted to document what is now becoming a daily occurrence for me and my business.

Have you thought about wearing one of those lime green safety vests while flying? The paranoiacs will then think you're probably 'official' and won't mess with you? A hard hat and a clipboard would complete the ensemble. LOL

A lot of my flying is rural, but I keep a vest handy for any time I'm 'around people'...

And if I might add:

Your behavior and presence of mind is a model for all of us to go by.

I've read here of many instances of good-guy droners getting hassled by uninformed, paranoid idiots... but have never seen a video of an incident.

From the written accounts of the past incidents, whether the quad operator wrote that they reacted professionally or otherwise, what I would actually do in a situation like that has never 'jelled' in my mind.

It has now.

May your video go viral!

I'm calling BS on that one Andy. Color is NOT a factor. It's called DRONE PARANOIA and not a race thing. Please do not try and drop the race card because nothing in that video was anything more than Drone FEAR!
I expressed my feelings. You're welcome to your opinion. Calling my feelings "BS" seems inappropriate to me. Unless either of us were in that idiot's head, neither of us know for sure 100% of what was up his butt. Could be either. Could be both.

I think a lot depends on your home “base” locale.

Those within neighborhoods shouldn’t feel they have to load up, drive miles, and setup pre-plan for one or two simple flights.

Others live in more open/isolated areas and are able to fly more autonomously from home.
Well, it comes down to the classic property rights struggle. From the neighbors' POV, they have a right to a degree of quiet, safe, private enjoyment of their property. Governments have agreed, requiring things like ATVs and dirt bikes to go to the edge of town. For a lot of your neighbors, this would also make sense for drones. Get enough drones buzzing around neighborhoods and it's going to happen.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
the phantoms have a 2x digital zoom
While that's true, I'd still guess a majority of the drone market (85-95%?) is made up of Phantoms, Mavics, and Sparks. So right now the Inspires and Matrices are not so common place. However, it's possible that most the photography drones will have legitimate zoom lenses in 5-10 years.

While that's true, I'd still guess a majority of the drone market (85-95%?) is made up of Phantoms, Mavics, and Sparks. So right now the Inspires and Matrices are not so common place. However, it's possible that most the photography drones will have legitimate zoom lenses in 5-10 years.

Per federal code, anyone who damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks an aircraft, or willfully imparts or conveys any threat to do so is committing a federal offense :
U.S. Code, Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 2 - AIRCRAFT AND MOTOR VEHICLES
Sec. 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities
have your heard the "castle doctrine"

have your heard the "castle doctrine"
I don't think that applies to the great outdoors. Perhaps you're confusing castle doctrine and "stand your ground"? Also you're going to have issues claiming that your "castle" extends to your home's airspace or that you felt your life was being threatened by a drone. But if someone wants to test that theory, I'm sure we all have plenty of popcorn ready for the battle of federal law and state.

Well, it comes down to the classic property rights struggle. From the neighbors' POV, they have a right to a degree of quiet, safe, private enjoyment of their property. Governments have agreed, requiring things like ATVs and dirt bikes to go to the edge of town. For a lot of your neighbors, this would also make sense for drones. Get enough drones buzzing around neighborhoods and it's going to happen.
When Cometstorm wrote "I think a lot depends on your home “base” locale", I interpreted that to be a crack about the nature of your neighbors. Meaning, if you're surrounded by low-information types of folks, you're likely to experience more difficulties. But that's probably just a reflection of some of my own prejudices and, well, honestly, life's lessons.

While the noise probably had nothing to do with this, it brings up an important point. There are people - and organizations - who are desperately trying to manage the noisescape. I agree with their goals. Loud motorcycles, weed whackers, leaf blowers, loud cars, jake brakes on trucks, etc. are all high on their list of irritants. And my city has gone to great lengths to mitigate noise from trains, highways, HVAC systems, construction, etc. BUT... all that said, I have yet to hear anyone on these noise -related forums utter a word about drones.

And it seems to me after reading the comments on this web site that there are far more drone users concerned about limiting their own noise than there are, say, motorcycle riders concerned about limiting the noise they make. And before anyone jumps on me about this, please consider I've been riding motorcycles for thirty-five years.

I haven't even noticed a digital zoom setting on my P3A. I don't know why folks are so enthralled with digital zoom, anyway. All it does is restrict the image capture to a smaller area of the digital image sensor, greatly reducing the number of "pixels" being used to capture the image. At most it saves you from reaching for your reading glasses. It's not gonna reveal any more detail.

I expressed my feelings. You're welcome to your opinion. Calling my feelings "BS" seems inappropriate to me. Unless either of us were in that idiot's head, neither of us know for sure 100% of what was up his butt. Could be either. Could be both.

What you did is called "Making a wild assumption". Nothing in that video even remotely indicated "racism" and to so easily drop that card says a lot to me. I'll call someone out on a comment like that with absolutely no basis 100 out of 100 times.

Yes it "could be" a lot of things but w/o ANY facts to support your claim it's baseless and reaching to say the least.

Reactions: Stevie_UK
And I'll respond to you "calling BS" on what amounts to an opinion 100 out of 100 times.

Even the person who posted the video stated the that the individual in question "felt 'uncomfortable' when the drone wasn't even in sight. What exactly was he "uncomfortable" about?"

I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone else and until you come up with facts to support your opposition, you can keep your "BS" comments to yourself. Feel free to present evidence to support your arguments instead of just slinging crap at folks with whom you disagree and hoping ALL CAPS makes you more convincing.

Even the person who posted the video stated the that the individual in question "felt 'uncomfortable' when the drone wasn't even in sight. What exactly was he "uncomfortable" about?".

You're turning a DRONE problem into a RACE problem with nothing to support it. The guy called police because someone was flying a drone and he felt uncomfortable with the activity of FLYING THE DRONE. It's called Drone Paranoia and we have to deal with it a LOT in our industry. People are concerned about privacy, personal harm, and so much more regardless of who is flying the aircraft. Most of the time people don't even know where the drone operator is let alone race/sex and they are "concerned/scared/worried"long before they confront the person operating the aircraft.

The guy in the video is a victim of DRONE HATE and nothing to do with race. You could have easily stated Sex or Religion as reasons for police being called but the video shows they guy called (as he stated) because of a drone being flown in his area/neighborhood.

I use CAPS to emphasize my point and that's how I would be talking in person as well. Just part of my personality.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I CALL BS.

:rolleyes:
Now Bad Andy you said in post #49 to BA and I quote ..
Calling my feelings "BS" seems inappropriate to me.
Then you say it back to him.Hmmmmm
Well I have cleaned this thread all I am going to so ..
DotJKNp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20