Whales of Kauai

Reaction score
Short video of humpback whales in Kauai. Taken with a Phantom 4 Pro.

They were around 2000 feet offshore. I did maintain the required minimal distance per the NOAA guidelines. Shooting in 4K allowed me to zoom in for detail in post when I downsized for YouTube. The wind was tough enough to deal with 20k at some point, then flying to where you thought you saw them and maintaining enough power to safely return. I ended up with about an hour of footage from 5 days. Only in post on a large monitor was I able to see lots of the spray that I missed in the bright sunlight on the iPad.

I considered an offer to fly from a boat, but thought about the risks of a hand catch in 5 foot swells made me back away from it. You guys that have done that are braver than I am.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellent video and editing. Good choice on background music as well. I know it was difficult maintaining required distance, and not bending the rules a bit......but I commend you for doing so.

Perhaps one day DJI will develop a camera with zoom capabilities. That would put DJI in
the next level in aerial videography. I think many of us would welcome that option. Time will tell I suppose.

I have a nephew that lives in Hawaii. How I envy that kid. Great job FlyGary! [emoji106]

Reactions: FlyGary
Excellent video and editing. Good choice on background music as well. I know it was difficult maintaining required distance, and not bending the rules a bit......but I commend you for doing so.

Perhaps one day DJI will develop a camera with zoom capabilities. That would put DJI in
the next level in aerial videography. I think many of us would welcome that option. Time will tell I suppose.

I have a nephew that lives in Hawaii. How I envy that kid. Great job FlyGary! [emoji106]

Don't envy him too much Hawaii is a tough place to fly with part 107 due to the close proximity of all the various airports and helipads

Don't envy him too much Hawaii is a tough place to fly with part 107 due to the close proximity of all the various airports and helipads
Not to mention expensive. On Kauai I saw several no drone signs. But on a positive side they post them, unlike some place you don't know until people with guns show up.

oh man!! When we see this kind of footage we feel the drone cost is nothing¡ Awesome¡¡ Thanks to share

Not to mention expensive. On Kauai I saw several no drone signs. But on a positive side they post them, unlike some place you don't know until people with guns show up.

Yep, not too much real estate to fly in I suppose. But, the nephew is going to college there. Kinda like a permanent vacation with a little learning in between. Can't beat that. [emoji3]

Just got back from Maui two weeks ago! Loved watching the whales from shore, but a little too far out for my bird.
Here is a video byte of my trip

Reactions: FlyGary
Just got back from Maui two weeks ago! Loved watching the whales from shore, but a little too far out for my bird.
Here is a video byte of my trip
We were there about the same time, just different islands. Working on a few more and will post later.

Reactions: HarleyKen

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31