well took the plunge new drone arriving tomorrow

Reaction score
as above I have a new phantom 3 standard arriving tomorrow through Amazon
This is my 1st dji drone is there anything I need to look for when I open it
ie faults or know issues?
going to be like Christmas day tomorrow!!

Reactions: cyclehoarder
is there anything I need to look for when I open it
Make sure the box is sealed (if you purchased it new) and everything functions as designed. If something doesn't seem to be working correctly, just ask here and we can confirm.

I think on the Phantom 3 standard there is a piece of Styrofoam wedged in to secure the camera. Make sure you remove that.

All of my Phantom 3s came with that foam block installed out of the box.

P3-Foam-Block.jpg

Reactions: microraptor
as above I have a new phantom 3 standard arriving tomorrow through Amazon
This is my 1st dji drone is there anything I need to look for when I open it
ie faults or know issues?
going to be like Christmas day tomorrow!!

Download the manual from the DJI website and read it several times. Understand what all the controls are for. Also on the DJI website you will find training tutorials. There is an "Unpacking Your Drone" tutorial I found useful.
Watch those while waiting for your drone.

There are literally hundreds more videos on YouTube produced for beginners. Skip over the guys flying distance tests and making modifications. Feel free to check off the "Watch Later" box for those and look for Drone Valley. This guy is pretty good with straight forward education. There is another "kid" I found, Carson Miller, who has some great down to earth basic information. Lastly, look for Phantom Film School and Laurence Seberini. He has free videos plus an on-line course(s) you can purchase for a lifetime.

Don't jump off the deep end too quickly. Make sure this hobby is for you before you shell out a few hundred more on accessories which you may or may not need. All you need for now is in the box. I know at least a few people who found aerial photography just wasn't for them and sold their drone on E-Bay after just a couple weeks.

thanks for the heads up I have downloaded the manuals so will get reading them tonight thanks

Reactions: BillyN
Go to a big open area to fly first few times. Stay away from power lines and set your return to home high like 150 feet.

Go to a big open area to fly first few times. Stay away from power lines and set your return to home high like 150 feet.
Good advice. Just note the return to home setting on the app is in meters, so don't put 150 in there or else your poor little P3S is going up 492 feet! I set mine at 60 which is 197 feet. Plenty safe for where I fly.

Good advice. Just note the return to home setting on the app is in meters, so don't put 150 in there or else your poor little P3S is going up 492 feet! I set mine at 60 which is 197 feet. Plenty safe for where I fly.
can the values be changed in the app ie metres-feet?

Reactions: Gr8WhtBuffalo
I think it will let you chose between meters or imperial (feet) in everything but the return to home.
The max distance setting is also always displayed in meters.

Max altitude is meters only.no option.
But on screen display can be switched to metric or Imperial.whichever you prefer

yes been using the app now and getting to know my way round,
one thing I have noticed is when I turn on the controller and quad then launch the app the app takes a while from saying disconnected to connected don't know if this is normal?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl