Well it happened. Noob mistake

Reaction score
Decided to take Ono ( my daughter named it) out for a sunset flight. All was great and had large group gather for its take off and tour of the neighborhood.
Then was getting ready to bring her down when 2 girls ( **** distraction) came up and we started talking etc... I told them about my new VR oggles and they really wanted to see them. So I started reeling her in and turned it around to focus on us as I brought it down. Was chit chatting and got a little disorientated and for a split second thought I was moving towards me but was moving away ( here's the rookie misrake) instead of just letting go and re-orientate myself, I emeediatly started moving stick back and forth to adjust and was way closers to a building then I thought. So as I was pushing stick to come towards me, it moved away and landing gear just clipped the edge of top of building and it luckily tumbled over onto the roof. Now the girls are standing there with jaws dropped and asked ' did it just fall over building" I'm silently crying inside as I look at the sad view of Ono lying on its side still shooting from roof top.
Wife is looking out from our balcony just shaking her head and laughing ( what I get for talking to girls.
Luckily it was a 3 story building with a fixed ladder that went straight up the side of building to roof. It was scary enough just climbing up but wasn't going to stop now. I found it on its side still blinking away. Absolutely no damage. Not a scratch, props perfect. (How?) I pulled props off, put arm through landing gear and very carefully climbed back down.
I was so happy to see no damage whatsoever. I fired it up in house just to make sure and all functions seem to work fine in those small conditions.
Afterwards I realized it all could have been avoided if for 1, I focused on flying instead of talking and 2, not panic and try to frantically try to compensate or better said over compensate. I should have just stopped. Let her hover, figure it out and then go. To be honest, I didn't realize she was that low and or close. It was only a cross street so not far. Just hard to judge as darkness fell.
As they say " no harm no foul"

Thanks for listening!

Mike

Glad the bird was ultimately okay. Yup the distraction factor is huge. My nephew - experienced pilot was talking to a guy who came up thinking about buying one for himself and got distracted and put it right into a tree as he brought it back. Thanks for the post. Reminds the rest of us it can happen too easily.

It happens even to experienced pilots. Luckily you were lucky! Great story - Someday I'll tell mine about the tree that jumped out of nowhere and grabbed my P3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers