weirdness with 120 fps

Anyway 120fps seems to have some problem.
Note that mbps reading is fake due to error in the mp4 header produced by the p4. The correct transfer rate reading is relative to fps indicated in the header. For example if it show 30fps (and you shoot 120fps) and indicate 12Mbps, then you need to times by 4 = 48Mbps

Has ANYONE else tried 120 fps or am I the only one?

If so, please let me know if they work properly for you thanks.
I didn't have most of those playback/import problems... but I think the 120fps quality is total crap. It's super blurry, noisy, and cropped like crazy, so it's not really 'usable' like proper footage.

It was only a small part of my decision to buy, since I shoot 4k most of the time, but I do wish someone out there, an early reviewer, would have mentioned that 'oh yea btw, yes it shoots 120fps at 1080p, but it looks like poop'.

Again I am guessing but I'm betting this explains the issue..

The reason the quality is lower is because it is actually overcranked 30p (29.97).

To put things in perspective, when you’re shooting at 60mbps at 30p (29.97) you are essentially spreading out that 60mbps of data over only 30 (29.97) frames, whereas when you’re shooting at 120fps you are getting the exact same amount of data per second, but now you are spreading it out over 4 times the amount of frames, which means each frame gets 4 times less information in it.

For the quality to remain the same for each frame the data rate would have to increase 4 fold.

I've been filming 1080P at 60fps without any issues. I did a side by side comparison indoors with that and 2k and 4k and it seemed like the best route to go was the one I chose. Less space I believe used on the sdcard , and maybe not as zoomed in if I can remember correctly. Still huge disappointment on the 120fps.

Last edited:

The reason the quality is lower is because it is actually overcranked 30p (29.97).

To put things in perspective, when you’re shooting at 60mbps at 30p (29.97) you are essentially spreading out that 60mbps of data over only 30 (29.97) frames, whereas when you’re shooting at 120fps you are getting the exact same amount of data per second, but now you are spreading it out over 4 times the amount of frames, which means each frame gets 4 times less information in it.

For the quality to remain the same for each frame the data rate would have to increase 4 fold.

I don't think the p4 is really recording at 30fps. It works at 120fps but the firmware has some bug so it save header as 30fps. The quality of the video can be not good for the same firmware glitch. At 120fps you need at least an exposure shutter at 1/240, but better around 1/300.

No it isn't recording at 30fps. It is recording at120fps. Without getting too technical. It is recording with the same bitrate at 30 and 120. That's why the video looks degraded.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

No it isn't recording at 30fps. It is recording at120fps. Without getting too technical. It is recording with the same bitrate at 30 and 120. That's why the video looks degraded.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am having the same issues. 120fps looks like junk and the file is stamped with 29 frames/second in windows. I am using a ScanDisk 32Gb that supports 95MB/sec.

It is overcranked to 120 basically you are getting the same bitrate as 30 fps... Which is why it appears degraded... Because as compared to 30 fps there is less data per frame. Which is about 1/4 the amount of data per frame.

It is overcranked to 120 basically you are getting the same bitrate as 30 fps... Which is why it appears degraded... Because as compared to 30 fps there is less data per frame. Which is about 1/4 the amount of data per frame.

I get you. That's pretty shady advertising if its intended to be that way. Why would they do this? My iPhone's 1080p 120fps looks 10000 times better. Does the camera max out the 60Mbps bit rate at 4K 30fps? If thats the case, I would assume 1080p uses 1/4 the bit rate, but then jacking it back up to full when in 120fps mode. Is this not correct?

Has anyone from DJI commented on this issue?

[EDIT] Holy crap, just tried calling them and I was #34 in-line. Wow.

If this was the case, then wouldn't the 4K @30fps video quality have the same crap bit rate? The 4K video looks much better to me than the bit rate I'm seeing with 1080p @120fps

it isn't shady. It actually works really well in my GH4. You just don't have sound.

This was my other thread on this issue Filming 120FPS . Felt like I was beating a dead horse . After I put up a video I had of my son that was taken with my Gopro Hero 4 black in 120fps then slow down in post , I dared anyone to come up witha video comparable to it with the garbage that DJI claims to be 120fps.

Reactions: OmegaStageThr33
This was my other thread on this issue Filming 120FPS . Felt like I was beating a dead horse . After I put up a video I had of my son that was taken with my Gopro Hero 4 black in 120fps then slow down in post , I dared anyone to come up witha video comparable to it with the garbage that DJI claims to be 120fps.

Have you contacted DJI about this?

i tried but they would not acknowledge the problem. it was extremely frustrating dealing with them so i gave up. they made me jump thru hoops and then still offered no explanation or help with the issue. good luck.

Wow... I'll try today, hopefully I have better luck. If not, I'm glad I have a 45 day return window through Best Buy.

After some tweaks in PremProCC, Some stuff looks OK, some blurry, I kinda like having it versus not.

Please report back with the memory card you are using to write these files to on your aircraft.

Im having the same issues and I'm using a Scandisk Extreme 32GB. It can support 95Mbps. 35mbps higher than the max camera output on the p4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20