Wee sunscreen DIY bodge

Reaction score
As I have a P3S it occurred to me that there is no real need for the tablet to be mounted on the RC, working as it does by wi-fi.
I made an enclosed tunnel from a corrugated cardboard box which takes my tablet and is long enough to provide a comfortable eye to tablet distance. It is painted matt black inside. When I look in, all light is excluded by my head. The tablet is thus rendered glare free and bright. This hangs around my neck from a lanyard.
My RC also hangs around my neck from another lanyard and sits comfortably in front of the tunnel. I can adjust the angle of the RC to keep the aerials in line with the AC without disturbing the viewing angle of the tablet. It is simple to just look up if I want to see the actual AC.
It works well even if it does look a bit odd. I will probably make the tunnel/tablet holder from something more robust but still lightweight sometime in the future.

As I have a P3S it occurred to me that there is no real need for the tablet to be mounted on the RC, working as it does by wi-fi.
I made an enclosed tunnel from a corrugated cardboard box which takes my tablet and is long enough to provide a comfortable eye to tablet distance. It is painted matt black inside. When I look in, all light is excluded by my head. The tablet is thus rendered glare free and bright. This hangs around my neck from a lanyard.
My RC also hangs around my neck from another lanyard and sits comfortably in front of the tunnel. I can adjust the angle of the RC to keep the aerials in line with the AC without disturbing the viewing angle of the tablet. It is simple to just look up if I want to see the actual AC.
It works well even if it does look a bit odd. I will probably make the tunnel/tablet holder from something more robust but still lightweight sometime in the future.

Can we get a pic? It's difficult for me to imagine this and sounds interesting.

Can't do a pic but it is made like this:

Attachments

• Sunscreen Tunnel.png
    Sunscreen Tunnel.png
    27 KB · Views: 377
I cut a flap in the side nearest me hinged and reinforced with Gaffa. Bit difficult to show in a diagram done with "Paint"
Costs next to nothing to make, which is always good. :) It was a fun project to do and even better that it actually worked. I'm sure anyone having a bash at it would find better and more inventive ways of improving it.

Made another from more substantial cardboard. Don't laugh :) I know it looks a bit Heath Robinson but it works well and it was cheap.
The more robust cardboard increased the weight slightly to 12.3oz (My shop bought one is 9.4oz) Did I mention it was cheap? :)

Attachments

• Tunnel pic1.jpg
    Tunnel pic1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 325
  • Tunnel pic 2.jpg
    Tunnel pic 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 321
Had a friend who flew his entire flight while inside a popup blind to avoid the sunlight. He's braver than I, but even managed to land completely blind while in the blind!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers