Weak RC Signal

Reaction score
First time pushing the P3P out. Have been taking it easy staying close to me so I can get used to the Pilot App and FPV etc.

I didn't go far, straight line of sight no buildings no trees, up a bit above 200ft in altitude and got to about 1,600ft out in distance. At that point I got two "Weak RC Signal" messages. After each one I climbed up a bit and the message went away but this got me a bit nervous as I noted I had a clear line of sight to the P3P.

I headed back after that. My antenna were pointed as noted in the manual in a V and up at a bit of an angle. My RC was fully charged and so was the P3P when I headed out. The RTH feature worked fine.

Any thoughts?

Please take another look at the manual, the antenna's should be parallel and pointing up as much as your monitor will allow.
i-JFQxpjt-X3.png

Please take another look at the manual, the antenna's should be parallel and pointing up as much as your monitor will allow.
i-JFQxpjt-X3.png

Hmm, I didn't have them parallel but in a right side up V pattern, not pictured. I'll try again with them parallel but honestly at 1,634ft in distance I'm not real sure that would have made a difference? That's not real far compared to what I see people getting (~12,000 + ft).

Hmm, I didn't have them parallel but in a right side up V pattern, not pictured. I'll try again with them parallel but honestly at 1,634ft in distance I'm not real sure that would have made a difference? That's not real far compared to what I see people getting (~12,000 + ft).
I'm experiencing the same and so is my brother. It depends on the area the P3 is flown. If heavily populated, you will get shorter range.

Reactions: snowghost
I'm experiencing the same and so is my brother. It depends on the area the P3 is flown. If heavily populated, you will get shorter range.

That doesn't make sense for someone to only get 10-15% of what others are getting. I can see there being some restriction due to neighborhood traffic but not enough to only produce a 1,600 of 12,000ft comparison.

I have yet to fly mine at any distance, but should I see numbers around the 1,600ft mark I will surely be concerned.

Btw, don't forget there is a "Distance Limit" and "Beginners Limit" features that could cause a reduced flight range.

How do you change the distance limit in the Pilot App? Mine will only allow me a maximum of 500 meter (even though I'm in the US and have it set to imperial).

I am also having problems with distance. I get a WEAK RC signal message at about 1100 ft. HD video is perfect. Any recommendations on how to increase range to what others are getting? I am ensuring my antennae are straight up and at 90 degrees to the P3. My P2 got easily 1100 ft, and the FPVLR stage II set up gets me 3000 ft.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

How do you change the distance limit in the Pilot App? Mine will only allow me a maximum of 500 meter (even though I'm in the US and have it set to imperial).

I am also having problems with distance. I get a WEAK RC signal message at about 1100 ft. HD video is perfect. Any recommendations on how to increase range to what others are getting? I am ensuring my antennae are straight up and at 90 degrees to the P3. My P2 got easily 1100 ft, and the FPVLR stage II set up gets me 3000 ft.

There is no distance limit other than transmitter range and battery life. If you're talking about straight up, 500m is the max. Try changing your flying location. Go some place wide open free of interference like a park, and test there.

That doesn't make sense for someone to only get 10-15% of what others are getting. I can see there being some restriction due to neighborhood traffic but not enough to only produce a 1,600 of 12,000ft comparison.

I have yet to fly mine at any distance, but should I see numbers around the 1,600ft mark I will surely be concerned.

Btw, don't forget there is a "Distance Limit" and "Beginners Limit" features that could cause a reduced flight range.
What's keeping me from not getting too concerned is the fact that both my brother and I are getting the same range, in the same areas. I have also brought mine to a private airport where I still got interference, but at a much further distance of 4500 ft. and it was because I started to get over some large mansions and still in a mountainous area. The videos online I'm seeing of people reaching out 12000 ft are flying over flat, lightly populated areas, like out in the plain states. Over here in north Jersey it is definitely not lightly populated anywhere u go.

My distance limit is at max and beginner mode off. Thanks

Where are u fly? Populated or not? Flat land or mountains?

Where are u fly? Populated or not? Flat land or mountains?

I'm flying in a semi-populated area, usually out over a large lake. My P2 would go as high or far as I allowed it to go in the software, but the Pilot App appears to limit height and distance to 500 meters. Is there a workaround?

I'm flying in a semi-populated area, usually out over a large lake. My P2 would go as high or far as I allowed it to go in the software, but the Pilot App appears to limit height and distance to 500 meters. Is there a workaround?
It limits vertical height and there is a work around for that. It doesn't limit horizontal distance.

This doesn't sound quite right because you can turn the distance limit off, or turn it on then set what you want.
Only the height limit can be 'set to max'.
Sorry. Your rite there is no limit on distance just height.

In other words and for others:

Height Limit = 500 Meter Max (Cannot Be Overwritten)
The only "workaround" if you can even call it that is to
do a RTH and push the craft higher all the while battling
the RTH. Not really a "workaround" in my opinion.

Distance Limit, If you choose to set one, is 500M Max.
If you choose NOT to set one then it's unlimited.

I guess I need to try another area. The area I was in was open
and line of sight. There were houses on the periphery however but
a ways away.

This is why I bought the FPVLR antenna and 2.5w boosters for the Phantom 3. Yeah, it sucks that you have to drill into the controller, but the range now is virtually unlimited and it is like buying insurance for your Phantom: you will likely never go out of range (within reason). It lets me relax and enjoy more freedom in flying.

This is why I bought the FPVLR antenna and 2.5w boosters for the Phantom 3. Yeah, it sucks that you have to drill into the controller, but the range now is virtually unlimited and it is like buying insurance for your Phantom: you will likely never go out of range (within reason). It lets me relax and enjoy more freedom in flying.
Link for the booster please. I don't mind some drilling.

I easily got to 7200 ft (2.2km) on an open field and 400' altitude before getting the weak RC signal warning but did not lose it. Full FPV all the way. Also got over 5000 feet in a populated area. All stock setup with antennas up and in a slight "V"

I easily got to 7200 ft (2.2km) on an open field and 400' altitude before getting the weak RC signal warning but did not lose it. Full FPV all the way. Also got over 5000 feet in a populated area. All stock setup with antennas up and in a slight "V"
In the populated area, are there any visible large power lines or cell towers? What is the terrain like? Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.