Weak RC Signal

But even with the booster, one continues to have vertical range limited to 500 meters, correct? (I like to fly high!!!)

What horizontal ranges are others getting with stock antennae?

Did take awhile to install, but not difficult. I just wanted to be very careful doing it. I accidentally disconnected the record button on the controller and had to re-open it to figure out what I did wrong. Also, the instructions want you to trim flash to route cable, but you can go right down the middle with the pigtail wires.

How do you change the distance limit in the Pilot App? Mine will only allow me a maximum of 500 meter (even though I'm in the US and have it set to imperial).

I am also having problems with distance. I get a WEAK RC signal message at about 1100 ft. HD video is perfect. Any recommendations on how to increase range to what others are getting? I am ensuring my antennae are straight up and at 90 degrees to the P3. My P2 got easily 1100 ft, and the FPVLR stage II set up gets me 3000 ft.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
I was having the same problem. I flew probably 10 times and couldn't get more than 1600ft in multiple areas. I then clicked the "linking remote controller" button at the bottom of the RC page on app with both quad on and rc. I calibrated compass and turned made sure distance limit was off. I then flew over 6000 ft. I only turned back because I was over serious boonies. I flew about 300ft high straight shot using auto mode trans. My phone was in airplane mode.

Try and click on the "linking remote controller" button in pilot app under the RC settings. Both controller and quad have to be on. Put phone in airplane mode.

Try and click on the "linking remote controller" button in pilot app under the RC settings. Both controller and quad have to be on. Put phone in airplane mode.
Ok. Thanks. I will try this today and I'll report back. I'm only getting any ware from 1600 to 2000 ft before I get either weak image transmission or weak RC signal or both. Was writing this off as interference in my flying area.

I'm having the same issue between 1000-1600 feet. I just tried re-linking the controller and am going to fly it in the A.M.

Has anyone else had luck solving this issue? I have seen videos of people taking them over DJI's rating too.

First time pushing the P3P out. Have been taking it easy staying close to me so I can get used to the Pilot App and FPV etc.

I didn't go far, straight line of sight no buildings no trees, up a bit above 200ft in altitude and got to about 1,600ft out in distance. At that point I got two "Weak RC Signal" messages. After each one I climbed up a bit and the message went away but this got me a bit nervous as I noted I had a clear line of sight to the P3P.

I headed back after that. My antenna were pointed as noted in the manual in a V and up at a bit of an angle. My RC was fully charged and so was the P3P when I headed out. The RTH feature worked fine.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't sweat occasional quick weak RC signal messages. You could be flying through patches or heavier RF interference that will pass if you just push right through the affected area. For example one area I would fly with my Phantom 2 Vision I would constantly loose the video or have a brief interruption at specific distance. Some might think that's the limit of your range, but no, pushing past it for a couple of seconds makes the video return to normal and I can go well beyond double the distance.

Rule of thumb to help determine if you should push through. If you had a strong signal that suddenly drops down then it's safe to say that either 1) You're too low and a tree top or something got between you and clean line of sight. or 2) You're flying through a patch of interference. When your Phantom flys through high RF interference it's like a rain drop flying into the middle of a cloud, or a Mini Mag Light flash light pointing at the light from a 3D Cell Mag light. The mini mag light gets drowned out from the brighter one until you move it away.

On the other hand if you're signal was already steady ramping down vs is suddenly going from a high signal strength to none or weak. That's where you've hit your limit in that given area, or you may not have your antennas oriented properly or be in clean line of site.

You can look at the threads on the DIY antenna booster (foil antenna) which can potentially double the range without having to mod your Phantoms RC.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGreenPhantom
That doesn't make sense for someone to only get 10-15% of what others are getting. I can see there being some restriction due to neighborhood traffic but not enough to only produce a 1,600 of 12,000ft comparison.

I have yet to fly mine at any distance, but should I see numbers around the 1,600ft mark I will surely be concerned.

Btw, don't forget there is a "Distance Limit" and "Beginners Limit" features that could cause a reduced flight range.

You can't compare flying in a populated area with a lot of WiFI and other forms of RF to someone flying in the country / mountains / middle of nowhere. Getting sub 2k feet is very normal under Suburban condition flying. The downgrade in channels from 32 to 8 with the later firmwares and app don't help either with respect to finding a clean channel to operate on.

I'm flying in a semi-populated area, usually out over a large lake. My P2 would go as high or far as I allowed it to go in the software, but the Pilot App appears to limit height and distance to 500 meters. Is there a workaround?

The Phantom 3 is only altitude limited to 500M. You can toggle off limits on flight distance within the DJI Pilot app. You can not however toggle off the 500M or 1,640 foot altitude limit at this time.

Reactions: Fplvert
Link for the booster please. I don't mind some drilling.
Dbsmods.com
This antenna is only 209 dollars including installation and you'll get better range. Nothing against fpvlr I have bought several products from them but at 525 dollars with the install and you have to use amps makes it less appealing . The debs itelite will start shipping in about a week. In my opinion its a better deal.

You can't compare flying in a populated area with a lot of WiFI and other forms of RF to someone flying in the country / mountains / middle of nowhere. Getting sub 2k feet is very normal under Suburban condition flying. The downgrade in channels from 32 to 8 with the later firmwares and app don't help either with respect to finding a clean channel to operate on.

Are you saying there was a downgrade of 32 to 8 channels from one firmware to the next at some point?

Yeah you need an older version of the pilot app to get 32 channels back. It's easy to the apk for the older pilot apps with a Google search. I'm using 1.0.10 and I have 32 channels

Yeah you need an older version of the pilot app to get 32 channels back. It's easy to the apk for the older pilot apps with a Google search. I'm using 1.0.10 and I have 32 channels
The pilot app has nothing to do with adding channels, it is the firmware in both the P3 and the controller that has to provide the channels, the app only reports what channel the controller picked or allows you to change to another channel if it is available

The pilot app has nothing to do with adding channels, it is the firmware in both the P3 and the controller that has to provide the channels, the app only reports what channel the controller picked or allows you to change to another channel if it is available

Yeah I remember reading from a DJI Rep that they have been working on trying to cool down such & such process, and how the heat has been becoming a issue in some devices as well. So I'd say it could be possible why this channel reduction had taken place?

There is a post with DYI antenna boost. I did it and they seem to work better. I used aluminum tape on mine and not glue.

So what channel am I actually using when I set it to custom and select a channel . I have the option to choose between 1-32 . I've tried most of them and it seems like the higher channels 20-25 work best and the middle ones work pretty good too 14-18 . So am I not really selecting a channel. And I have never upgraded the firmware or control due to all the issues with them.

So what channel am I actually using when I set it to custom and select a channel . I have the option to choose between 1-32 . I've tried most of them and it seems like the higher channels 20-25 work best and the middle ones work pretty good too 14-18 . So am I not really selecting a channel. And I have never upgraded the firmware or control due to all the issues with them.

If you have access to the older version of the pilot app and it is allowing you to manually select any channel then yes it's definitely working for you even if you have a slightly higher firmware.

The updated pilot app only allows channels 13-20 of the former 32 channel selection.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20