Waypoints Flight Altitude Caused Total Loss

Reaction score
I took my P2V+ V3 out today to get more familiar with using the "Waypoints" function before a upcoming vacation. I set it up for a 3 waypoint flight, and set the waypoints near the limits of the allowable radius .... the first time I had set up to go more than a 50 meters away from the home position.
I had 10 satellites locked in, and all indicators were green and ready.
I told it to "Go", the engines fired, and it took off - in the direction of the first waypoint, but climbing out too slowly, and into the roof of a neighbor's house, some 35-40 meters away.
Is there some correlation between distance and climb rate to the first waypoint?
I suffered a badly damaged shell and lost all props --- but I have some spare parts if anyone is interested.
Thanks for any help with this one.
Bob

It is not able to detect that there is a object between you and the waypoint.

You basically said go from here to there. It will do so in the shortest distance.

Why would you expect it to do anything different?

It is not able to detect that there is a object between you and the waypoint.

Why would you expect it to do anything different?
When I flew the very short waypoint flights, it appeared to climb to near waypoint-altitude quickly.
I was thinking (in error for sure) that it would do the same when heading to the first distant waypoint.

But lesson learned I think was:
1). In close confines, set the 1st waypoint almost straight above the home point at a safe altitude
2). Then set you first "destination", (2nd) waypoint, wherever you desire.

I do wish this were spelled out clearly in the tutorials ... (perhaps I missed this!).

Reactions: Ross and n6vmo
When I flew the very short waypoint flights, it appeared to climb to near waypoint-altitude quickly.
I was thinking (in error for sure) that it would do the same when heading to the first distant waypoint.

But lesson learned I think was:
1). In close confines, set the 1st waypoint almost straight above the home point at a safe altitude
2). Then set you first "destination", (2nd) waypoint, wherever you desire.

I do wish this were spelled out clearly in the tutorials ... (perhaps I missed this!).

I didn't mean to be snippy.

I didn't mean to be snippy.
That's OK .... I almost feel like I want to be flogged ....
Did anyone else encounter this sort of thing?
I tried to search it on the forum but had no luck ....
I do think if you plan to do a Waypoints Flight from within a relatively close area with trees & homes, the trick is to always set your 1st waypoint almost directly above your home position, and high enough up to take you safely to your first stop.

Reactions: Ross
I must also say I don't use the waypoints but that what you encountered is typical of a 'blind' point to point flight controller.

(I have a P2 non-vision that I just use for sport flying.)

Bobomet, I think you can just position your drone, say 30 or 40 feet above the Home location, then hit GO to start the mission. I haven't tried that but I seem to remember somewhere that you can do that...

Bobomet, I think you can just position your drone, say 30 or 40 feet above the Home location, then hit GO to start the mission. I haven't tried that but I seem to remember somewhere that you can do that...
Thanks for that advice .....
So I guess then that you can take off in GPS mode, climb to a safe altitude, swipe left then on the App screen, and the waypoints flight you've already set up will still be there?
That would be great!

Best practice in setting the first waypoint is high and close and I'd say is a pretty commonly known practice which I have seen discussed in this forum. You have to assume straight-line flight from launch to first waypoint. You can also launch straight up to altitude and THEN hit the Go button to start your waypoints flight. Sorry you weren't aware of that.

Oops. Someone beat me to it.

Best practice in setting the first waypoint is high and close and I'd say is a pretty commonly known practice which I have seen discussed in this forum. You have to assume straight-line flight from launch to first waypoint. You can also launch straight up to altitude and THEN hit the Go button to start your waypoints flight. Sorry you weren't aware of that.

Oops. Someone beat me to it.
Thanks MapMaker .... so I guess I can set up the Waypoints Flight, and then start the motors myself and take off - climbing to a safe altitude, and then tap "Go"?
I'll try that too when I get my next bird.

Thanks for that advice .....
So I guess then that you can take off in GPS mode, climb to a safe altitude, swipe left then on the App screen, and the waypoints flight you've already set up will still be there?
That would be great![/
I took my P2V+ V3 out today to get more familiar with using the "Waypoints" function before a upcoming vacation. I set it up for a 3 waypoint flight, and set the waypoints near the limits of the allowable radius .... the first time I had set up to go more than a 50 meters away from the home position.
I had 10 satellites locked in, and all indicators were green and ready.
I told it to "Go", the engines fired, and it took off - in the direction of the first waypoint, but climbing out too slowly, and into the roof of a neighbor's house, some 35-40 meters away.
Is there some correlation between distance and climb rate to the first waypoint?
I suffered a badly damaged shell and lost all props --- but I have some spare parts if anyone is interested.
Thanks for any help with this one.
Bob
hello. The best thing to do is zoom in as close as u can on waypoint map. Then tap as close as u can to yourself for the fist set waypoint. I have done this and got it going straight up prob about 2 meters away from me. Works all the time

Sorry for you loss! I am brand new to this and have only flown by bird twice and have not used waypoints at all yet. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's something I had not thought about to be honest.

Sorry for you loss! I am brand new to this and have only flown by bird twice and have not used waypoints at all yet. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's something I had not thought about to be honest.
Glad this experience will be of help. I'll get a new bird as soon as I figure out the specs on the P3, and hopefully all will be good from there.

I also like to set the last waypoint close to the home point, even though the last leg of the trip will always be to home. It just gives me a little more confidence that all is going as planned when it hits that last location. Maybe it's because I haven't flown that many.

Reactions: Ross and bobomet
I also like to set the last waypoint close to the home point, even though the last leg of the trip will always be to home. It just gives me a little more confidence that all is going as planned when it hits that last location. Maybe it's because I haven't flown that many.
I'm with you on this MapMaker ....
I'm leaving nothing to chance ever again when it comes to software controlled flight ....

See, another little nugget that I can file away. Not only is the first waypoint important, the last one before heading for home needs to be considered as well. For us newbs, this is good stuff!

See, another little nugget that I can file away. Not only is the first waypoint important, the last one before heading for home needs to be considered as well. For us newbs, this is good stuff!

Kinda...

ALL waypoints should be evaluated for obstacles enroute of the flight plan.

Know your flight path, I always go up at least 120ft before I hit go on a mission and usually do all missions at 200+ft just to be safe. Always error in the favor or altitude. Remember this. If you are on a mission and you are about to hit something flip to ATTI Mode and Go straight up and or reverse.

Reactions: bobomet
Be sure to set your return to home in the assistant too. I had to jump mine to 150 after a close call with a couple of 137 ft tall trees.

Glad this experience will be of help. I'll get a new bird as soon as I figure out the specs on the P3, and hopefully all will be good from there.
Keep in mind that you cannot do waypoint missions with the P3 until DJI decides to release the SDK. Then you have to wait for an independent developer to develop an app that has that capability. Pretty sure they did it to keep the FAA happy so that their product is not capable of autonomous flight straight from the box.

Reactions: bobomet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.