Waypoints Flight Altitude Caused Total Loss

If there's objects nearby that you have to get over, in my backyard for example (powerlines, trees neighbors home), I always set my first waypoint straight up from the home position to about 150'. This way when it starts to fly the route, it already has vertical clearance and I haven't had any problems to date.

Ya the first time I ever used the way points I noticed it ramped up to the height of the first way points height. or from one to the next. instead of climbing straight up to the height I set before it started going forward. So I now set the first one as high as it needs to be and a few feet in front of me. So that the ramp angle is nice and steep.

I took my P2V+ V3 out today to get more familiar with using the "Waypoints" function before a upcoming vacation. I set it up for a 3 waypoint flight, and set the waypoints near the limits of the allowable radius .... the first time I had set up to go more than a 50 meters away from the home position.
I had 10 satellites locked in, and all indicators were green and ready.
I told it to "Go", the engines fired, and it took off - in the direction of the first waypoint, but climbing out too slowly, and into the roof of a neighbor's house, some 35-40 meters away.
Is there some correlation between distance and climb rate to the first waypoint?
I suffered a badly damaged shell and lost all props --- but I have some spare parts if anyone is interested.
Thanks for any help with this one.
Bob
It says in the instructions that it does not climb to your set altitude before advancing to the first waypoint. I missed that part of the manuel my first time too. It will launch and slowly gain altitude as it moves towards the first waypoint.
I always set my flight plan and take the phantom up to whatever elevation I have it set at and hit go once its in the air. That way I dont screw up. I almost had the same problem. Missed a power line by about an inch. I never hit go while mine is on the ground.

It says in the instructions that it does not climb to your set altitude before advancing to the first waypoint. I missed that part of the manuel my first time too. It will launch and slowly gain altitude as it moves towards the first waypoint.
I always set my flight plan and take the phantom up to whatever elevation I have it set at and hit go once its in the air. That way I dont screw up. I almost had the same problem. Missed a power line by about an inch. I never hit go while mine is on the ground.

+1 I always go to about 130Ft or so before I hit go

I took my
I suffered a badly damaged shell and lost all props --- but I have some spare parts if anyone is interested.

Bob you realize the you plane is probably salvageable and not just part don't you. If you need help rebuilding we can provide some help. Let me know either way.
Roy

I think it is odd that when you press GO you have no warning that the unit will start motors and head to the first way point with out a confirm or count down warning.

I thought go was the procedure to complete the first way point, then I could add the next. But no off it went.

After rereading the manual I still didn't get the procedure. Found a video clip of how to set them. Then you have to go back and edit the Altitude for each way point, seems out of sync for human minds.

I try again, this time a left the remote off, decided to make my first way point in open area where I would normally take off, and then four more. Then I had to edit all of them to make sure they were above 200' because of the trees.

Ok to test.
I hit the go button which is easy to hit by mistake, big fingers and little buttons. Off it went.

So now I am watching it fly its coarse above the trees, kinda cool, but still knowing the remote transmitter is not turned on.

To land it I had turn on the Transmitter, toggle S1, then I could bring it down.

My Point,
Why can this unit start up its motors and start running a way point coarse without connected to a transmitter.
If there is option Great, let me know and everybody else learning this procedure.

Rod

Last edited:
Seems kinda silly doing it without the RC on....? Whats advantage of not having RC ??

What if it has a problem and you need to avoid an object.. or low flying helicopter etc etc.. ?

That was my Point,
It should not be able to run a coarse with out a warning and with out connected to a remote control.

Couple of things. One you can start flying gain altitude then at a height to clear trees you can set the way points it will upload them and press go and off she will travel. Next if on the first waypoint set the altitude and then the other should follow suit. You get a chance to verify altitude before pressing go.
If you want to start from ground level make the first waypoint very close to your home position clearing the trees and set the altitude over the tops. It can be done several ways just be sure you have satellite lock and the home position established. Love the autonomous flying. Gives you pucker power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20