Waypoint flying: Your suggestions on a good application.

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been flying for a month and am very interested in programming waypoint "missions". However my tablet (Galaxy TAB E) is not one of the recommended ones and cannot run Litchi (not powerfull enough). I tried an iPad 3, but it won't cut it. In fact, even DJI Go won't install on the iPad. But works pretty well on my Galaxy TAB E Lite (!).

Do you know a good Waypoint flying application, other than Litchi, that could do the trick? I've already bought the drone (Phantom 4 Advanced), then 2 tablets (iPad and Galaxy TAB), 2 extra batteries.. And my budget runs too low to buy a third one, for the moment.

Any suggestions?

Al Haden aka Mr Aladdin (mostly flew carpets before..)

Having been flying with Android devices for a while now, I can tell you that the TAB E, is not one that I personally would fly with, even with GO. I use Litchi exclusively and have moved from a TAB A, To a TAB2, which runs very well at the moment with both apps. Although I fly a P3A, it will need much more power, so to speak for a P4. Just my opinion, others may differ.

Reactions: surcouf9
Sorry but I only fly Litchi. I also mostly fly waypoint missions most of all but occasionally I'll fly a FPV mission just to play around. I've looked at a couple others but not tried them yet. I think I'd "eBay" your other phones or tablets and go with Litchi.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

I used to use Android devices for my P2V including phones and a Samsung tablet. I got a P4 this year and initially used my Samsung Galaxy 7. After two flights, I decided to try out using my iPad pro which was also new. It was awesome! I could never go back. Bought Litchi around Feb. or Mar. and it is also awesome.

I wouldn't have bought an iPad just to use as a monitor for a drone but I have so many uses for the iPad, adding drone use is a no brainer.

When I used the phone and even the smaller tablet I typically watched the craft more than the monitor. Now, I watch the monitor considerably more than the craft. This has made my videos much better.

Using waypoints was the last thing on my mind until I wanted to get a shot that was impossible to get manually. (POI around a monument that is 570' tall) Litchi allows you to do this without exceeding the 400' limit etc. But it's much more than that! Some of my best videos were missions using Litchi.

Geo

I used to use Android devices for my P2V including phones and a Samsung tablet. I got a P4 this year and initially used my Samsung Galaxy 7. After two flights, I decided to try out using my iPad pro which was also new. It was awesome! I could never go back. Bought Litchi around Feb. or Mar. and it is also awesome.

I wouldn't have bought an iPad just to use as a monitor for a drone but I have so many uses for the iPad, adding drone use is a no brainer.

When I used the phone and even the smaller tablet I typically watched the craft more than the monitor. Now, I watch the monitor considerably more than the craft. This has made my videos much better.

Using waypoints was the last thing on my mind until I wanted to get a shot that was impossible to get manually. (POI around a monument that is 570' tall) Litchi allows you to do this without exceeding the 400' limit etc. But it's much more than that! Some of my best videos were missions using Litchi.

Geo

I'm buying an Ipad Mini 4 128gb. Couldn't resist after reading the posts...

Hi,

I've been flying for a month and am very interested in programming waypoint "missions". However my tablet (Galaxy TAB E) is not one of the recommended ones and cannot run Litchi (not powerfull enough). I tried an iPad 3, but it won't cut it. In fact, even DJI Go won't install on the iPad. But works pretty well on my Galaxy TAB E Lite (!).

Do you know a good Waypoint flying application, other than Litchi, that could do the trick? I've already bought the drone (Phantom 4 Advanced), then 2 tablets (iPad and Galaxy TAB), 2 extra batteries.. And my budget runs too low to buy a third one, for the moment.

Any suggestions?

Al Haden aka Mr Aladdin (mostly flew carpets before..)

Highly recommend FPV Camera, Use it since 18 months with a number of Inspire 1s, P4s and Mavics for industrial maintenance missions on hundreds of flights. Not one single mishap and easy to use.
Very complete including Goggles and excellent flight logs.
Using it with the Ipad mini 3 should be no issue

I am flying waypoints missions for topography and ortho photos and 3D maps (as well as 3D models and PoIs) with DJI GS Pro and an iPad mini 4 with no problems up to now.

I would recommend a tablet upgrade so you can use Litchi just like you decided. One of the main reasons I like it is you can plan missions on your computer and not just on a smaller tablet or phone screen.

I have DJI GS Pro, but since you have to plan missions on the smaller screen, I stick with Litchi.

Reactions: YvesDL
I would recommend a tablet upgrade so you can use Litchi just like you decided. One of the main reasons I like it is you can plan missions on your computer and not just on a smaller tablet or phone screen.

I have DJI GS Pro, but since you have to plan missions on the smaller screen, I stick with Litchi.

I will look into DJI GS PRO. Didn't know about it. Thx for pointing that out. :)

Highly recommend FPV Camera, Use it since 18 months with a number of Inspire 1s, P4s and Mavics for industrial maintenance missions on hundreds of flights. Not one single mishap and easy to use.
Very complete including Goggles and excellent flight logs.
Using it with the Ipad mini 3 should be no issue

Quick Litchi question...Jim??

If I plan and store a mission, get to location and am several hundred feet away from the actual starting point of the mission, will the P4 fly over to the beginning set point 1 and start flying the mission?? Logged into Litchi, but haven't bought it yet for the Ipad Mini 4. Curious if I hit the wrong mission will the P4 take off and head over to the location of the mission or will I get a notice that I'm not at the correct location? Does what I'm asking make sense?

Thanks.

If I plan and store a mission, get to location and am several hundred feet away from the actual starting point of the mission, will the P4 fly over to the beginning set point 1 and start flying the mission?? Logged into Litchi, but haven't bought it yet for the Ipad Mini 4. Curious if I hit the wrong mission will the P4 take off and head over to the location of the mission or will I get a notice that I'm not at the correct location? Does what I'm asking make sense?

Thanks.
I can't tell you if there is a max distance it will go to start a mission from its current location. I was in the front yard one time when I started a mission like usual from the ground. I had forgotten that I had the mission's first way point set with the knowledge I was taking off from my backyard. I'm very glad it cleared my house before making it to the first waypoint, which was almost 200' away. Again, I don't know if there is a max distance or not.

Reactions: Photoflash

Thanks.
Fairly certain that I have read that if the first WP is too great a distance from your homepoint that you will get a message such as 'parameters not met' or similar. Having said that I have launched a mission from the air to clear trees etc and the drone has flown probably 150 mtrs to its first WP and away it went. I suspect depending on how your mission was mapped and your final WP action was set, that you would end up in some sort of grief if the drone was way out of sight.

I can't tell you if there is a max distance it will go to start a mission from its current location. I was in the front yard one time when I started a mission like usual from the ground. I had forgotten that I had the mission's first way point set with the knowledge I was taking off from my backyard. I'm very glad it cleared my house before making it to the first waypoint, which was almost 200' away. Again, I don't know if there is a max distance or not.
Yes like FTTTU posted, my P4 when started from the takeoff point first goes to altitude (thankfully) and to the starting point. It stops for a second and yaws to the direction of the second waypoint and continues the mission. I absolutely love Litchi and it’s ability to use the hub to program and modify a mission from a home computer! The waypoint missions remind me of model railroading as one gets to play around with waypoints and points of interests, adjust and reply!!

And as far as I know there is no limit on distance as I’ve frequently flown to 7,450 feet at 400 feet altitude and still had 100% signals.
Thanks, interesting post.
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4