Water recovery float by Getterback

Reaction score
There is a device called Getterback that was originally for fishing poles but now offered for drones. Has anyone tried one and had actual success recoveriing a water crashed Phantom?

With DJI Care Refresh the key to getting a low cost replacement drone is to recover the body. It doesn't matter if the drone is ruined.

The Getterback device is available through Amazon and other sources. It is a water-pressure activated float with a 100 ft. tether line. It only weighs 1/2 ounce and is attached with velcro. If it works, the $40 cost is well worth it to me since I live by the ocean and often fly over water.

I can see that there would be a problem if the water is more than 100 ft. deep, or not deep enough (10 ft.) to trigger the float. A bigger float could be enough to keep the drone at or near the water surface. It could be a strong, thin film like mylar and could be inflated by carbon dioxide formed when water gets to dry baking soda and acid powder. Then it wouldn't matter how deep the water was.

There is a device called Getterback that was originally for fishing poles but now offered for drones. Has anyone tried one and had actual success recoveriing a water crashed Phantom?

With DJI Care Refresh the key to getting a low cost replacement drone is to recover the body. It doesn't matter if the drone is ruined.

The Getterback device is available through Amazon and other sources. It is a water-pressure activated float with a 100 ft. tether line. It only weighs 1/2 ounce and is attached with velcro. If it works, the $40 cost is well worth it to me since I live by the ocean and often fly over water.

I can see that there would be a problem if the water is more than 100 ft. deep, or not deep enough (10 ft.) to trigger the float. A bigger float could be enough to keep the drone at or near the water surface. It could be a strong, thin film like mylar and could be inflated by carbon dioxide formed when water gets to dry baking soda and acid powder. Then it wouldn't matter how deep the water was.

This device was a frequent topic of discussion a year or so ago.
You should be able to search past posts for user reviews and experiences.

I like this idea if I ever buy a refresh policy again.

I got a sour taste of DJI's refresh program when I bought it for my Mavic, one of my 4 craft. I knew when I bought it that it's likely wasted money, but I didn't expect it to be a hassle too.

When I sent the Mavic in for a failed gimbal under warranty, DJI wanted to charge me a refresh fee, simply because I had a refresh policy on the craft. The craft didn't have a scratch on it, had never been dropped or had hard landing, hand caught 75% of the time. It was flawless, but the gimbal boot routine failed to complete one day, saying "gimbal obstruction". This occurred after sitting in my backpack for 3-4 days, when on the last flight everything was fine. I ask them to state what I did wrong to cause the gimbal to fail. They didn't have an answer. They eventually obliged and covered it under warranty like they should have from the get-go, but it took them 2wks to agree, total turn-around time was 5wks, and I live only 30mi from the DJI Cerritos repair station. In the past when I didn't have a refresh policy and I sent my craft in for flaws, they simply replaced my craft or repaired it under warranty in a relatively short period of time, 2 to 3wks. Refresh turned that into 5wks, for no reason. I had actually been relatively happy with DJI warranty service until the shenanigans with my Mavic and the extra money I paid for the refresh policy. I didn't pay extra for refresh just to be hassled with a legit warranty claim, but that's what happened.

Don't get me wrong, I love DJI products, especially my P4P. However, it's this kind of treatment that doesn't help their image.

Last edited:
I had several that where just made for the rods and have always had 1 on the rear leg of all my Phantoms and never had to use it with mine as I always hit the ground . Didn't know they made another one just for drones .Now I have had to rely on several with some high end rod and reels and worked every time though .

I had several that where just made for the rods and have always had 1 on the rear leg of all my Phantoms and never had to use it with mine as I always hit the ground . Didn't know they made another one just for drones .Now I have had to rely on several with some high end rod and reels and worked every time though .

Actually there is only one model GetterBack. It's just that they now advertise it to drone owners, not just fishermen.

This device was a frequent topic of discussion a year or so ago.
You should be able to search past posts for user reviews and experiences.

I did find the older mention of GetterBack on the forums, but not really reviews. That's why I asked if anyone had success with actually recovering their drone. I was also hoping there might be a newer design that might be able to float the drone. Also the price mentioned a couple of years ago was $18, but now it's more like $40 or more on Amazon or eBay, and it's for the same device.

I also found a YouTube post of someone having success recovering a Mavic Pro with one of these in a lake crash.

Actually there is only one model GetterBack. It's just that they now advertise it to drone owners, not just fishermen.
Yeah I see know and wow they went up since I bought any .
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 6.39.46 PM.png

And Nick they do work as I have had to get rod's as I said up but have never read where a member had had to use it.Have read where some Wish they had of had em though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.