Washed out images, camera mode only

Reaction score
I decided to go all out with my first drone and purchase a DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2. Received it last Friday, what an incredible device.

However, I believe it has a bug and would appreciate your feedback/opinions.

In camera mode only, the images are very washed out (over exposed), videos and snapshots taken in video mode are great. The camera mode and ISO setting are both set to Auto. I found if I set the EV to -2.3 the image is more correctly exposed.

After much frustration from calling DJI support, I came here. Even though the symptoms were different, in some posts of washed out images, there was the suggestion to turn off the "Mechanical Shutter". Sure enough that solved my issue.

Knowing this, I can easily repeat the problem. Mechanical shutter on = washed out image, mechanical shutter off = great image. Strange that the exif metadata for the two images is identical.

My dilemma is what to do about it. Is it important? I seam to remember that a Mechanical Shutter was a selling point. I'm not even sure how a camera with a mechanical shutter can take a picture with the shutter turned off.

Should I return the Phantom 4, defective to the retailer (B&H Photo)? I believe I have to pay the return shipping, but would probably get a new Phantom 4 as a replacement. Or should I deal with DJI's warranty service. Again the Phantom 4 is only 5 days old.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Dennis

Can you post your EXIF data for the washed out photo?

Did you update your firmware? This may also clear up the issue.

Over exposed.JPG
Properly exposed.JPG
Hi ryantrax,

I'm not sure how to extract the exif into text. Attached are screenshots from Lightroom

Opps, sorry, I didn't respond to your questions.

Yes, I did the firmware update. I also...
- restored factory settings
- re-updated firmware
- reset camera settings
- reinstalled the Android app on two different devices

Dennis

It is possible that you have a bad mechanical shutter. If the shutter isn't actuating fast enough it would let too much light in causing the issue shown. Maybe roll-back to the previous firmware version using DJI Assistant 2 and see if it clears it up. Other cases of this that I've found have happened after a firmware update.

ryantrax,

I can't figure out how to downgrade. The Assistant 2 only lists the current version. This is the v2.0 version of the Phantom Pro 4, I'm not sure there is a previous version.

Dennis

ryantrax,

I can't figure out how to downgrade. The Assistant 2 only lists the current version. This is the v2.0 version of the Phantom Pro 4, I'm not sure there is a previous version.

Dennis
It is normally listed right below your current firmware version in the assistant. What is your current version?

View attachment 102232 ryantrax,

Yes, I understand that, problem is, there are none listed.
You're absolutely right there is none to roll back to... Hmmm, and I take it the refresh option didn't help? Sending it back to B&H would probably be the fastest way to get a replacement, the DJI turnaround time is a couple weeks.

What happens if you get out of auto, go to manual, set the aperture at say F 4.5 to F5.6, and set the ISO to 100 or 200, in normal daylight, you should need a shutter speed of around 1/320 to 1/640, I would set the shutter to 1/320 for a start. Also, can you try to do a AEB of 5 or 3 shots with these settings again in manual? AEB will automatically run through a range of shutter speeds, -1/34 to +1.34 with 5 shot and -07 to +07 in 3 shot. Just curious.

Auto IMO is not the best way to shoot with DJI as it tends to push up the ISO.

If you still have similar blown out shots in Manual, odds are the mechanical shutter is defective.

Paul C

My dilemma is what to do about it. Is it important? I seam to remember that a Mechanical Shutter was a selling point. I'm not even sure how a camera with a mechanical shutter can take a picture with the shutter turned off.
Dennis

Yes it is important. Attached pics are examples of why electronic/rolling shutter is bad in some scenarios - You paid for mechanical shutter, you want mechanical shutter

I'm gonna fire my P4 up now and see if mine does the same...brb :p

EDIT: No difference between rolling or mechanical on mine... looks like you need to get it swapped :(

rolling-global2.jpg warp.jpg .

Last edited:
Reactions: DKG13CC
ryantrax,
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Paul2660,
Thanks, I have tried manual mode. And now after all the suggestions, I am convinced I have a mechanical shutter problem. No matter what settings/modes, if the mechanical shutter is enabled, the picture is overexposed by over 2-3 stops.

monki77,
Thanks for the picture examples, they are very helpful in understanding the deference in the shutter modes.

I have an RMA from B&H Photo. For all the purchases I have made from them, I have never had to return anything. I am pleased to see they have provided me a return shipping label and hopefully the process should take a little over a week.

The hardest part, is to be without this incredible machine after just getting started realizing some of its capabilities.

Thanks again everyone,
Dennis.

Last edited:
Reactions: monki77
Sorry to see it is a defective shutter.

B & H is good one to work with.

Paul C

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member