Which dJI drone has the better camera DJI Air 2S or the P4P?

Reaction score
It seems that the DJI Air 2S has a better camera than the Phantom 4 Pro. What do people think?
Certainly a lot smaller and lighter to carry around. I never contemplated getting the Air. I did have the first Air and it was horribly loud, screeching. Although the 2S seems to be quiter but still noisy.

The issue I have between the two would be the silly Fly app. I’ll just stick with the P4P and the Go4 app.
Agree. Beginning to hate Fly. It’s a power hungry app that adds nothing to the flight experience. Latest update has made my IPad mini 4’s obsolete as it overloads the cpu. In contrast, flying my P4P’s with Go4 is an absolute pleasure. IMO

One of the great features of the P4P is the Global Shutter which is mechanical instead of electronic. I can get clear shots at -90 degrees on the fly for mapping. If I had to stop at every picture location due to an electronic shutter, 200 pictures would probably take 2 batteries. I couldn't find in the DJI website, the type of camera shutter that the Air 2S has, anyone know? Additionally, the P4P is a big drone with big propellers and a lot of power and speed, can the Air 2S fly up to 38 MPH, or gain altitude as fast as the P4P? Flying fast and far is important when going 2 miles out over Lake Tahoe. The Air 2S has impressive specs, but size matters. Here is Emerald Bay in Lake Tahoe, California at sunrise, 6am July 2021 with a P4PV2.
EMERALD BAY SUNRISE HD.jpg

As far as "a better camera" I would say the P4P which has aperture control ability. Other than that they are both the same.

Reactions: gppms
Agree absolutely.
Comparing two different things won't go. Newer picture processing algorithms can't replace bigger sensor of P4P and its smooth flying even in winds. Bigger is bigger. That's why I'm sad that DJI isn't continuing with the P series.

It seems that the DJI Air 2S has a better camera than the Phantom 4 Pro. What do people think?
Certainly a lot smaller and lighter to carry around. I never contemplated getting the Air. I did have the first Air and it was horribly loud, screeching. Although the 2S seems to be quiter but still noisy.
I don't Have the Air 2 (S) but the Mavic Air 2 and I have the Phantom 4 Pro . There is a noticeable difference in the two cameras .
The P4P is much sharper but there is a big difference in size and convenience also . With hard case P4P is 20 Pounds and MA2 is 5 pounds . In the You-Tube Video I have attached I use both . One on part of the river and the other on another part of the river .

Apart from differences with the apps, the P4Pro as a 1 inch CMOS sensor and a Mechanical
Shutter which is superior to a software shutter. One of the things I noticed was the software shutter gave a quite pronounced curve to the horizon, whereas with the P4Pro
it was completely flat. I still think the P4Pro is the best flying camera from DJI in it's
price range. Obviously IMHO of course.

Andrew

One of the great features of the P4P is the Global Shutter which is mechanical instead of electronic. I can get clear shots at -90 degrees on the fly for mapping. If I had to stop at every picture location due to an electronic shutter, 200 pictures would probably take 2 batteries.
But other models like the Mavic 2 manage to perform well at mapping too, despite having a rolling shutter.
They don't have to stop to acquire their images.

I couldn't find in the DJI website, the type of camera shutter that the Air 2S has, anyone know?
They have the same rolling shutter that all DJI consumer drones have.
The P4 pro has two (selectable) shutters, the mechanical shutter that works from 8-1/2000th and an electronic shutter from 8 - 1/8000th.
can the Air 2S fly up to 38 MPH
The specs for each drone has all the performance information.
Speed
Air 2S - 42.5 mph in Sport Mode
P4 pro - 45 mph
or gain altitude as fast as the P4P?
Ascending
Air 2S - 13.4 mph in any mode
P4 pro - 13.4 mph Sport Mode, 11 mph in Normal Mode

Descending
P4 pro - 9 mph Sport Mode, 6.7 mph in Normal Mode
Flying fast and far is important when going 2 miles out over Lake Tahoe. The Air 2S has impressive specs, but size matters.
How is size important?

The P4 pro is my drone of choice because it's still the best available so far for what I want to do with a drone.
DJI_0970a-X4.jpg

But as soon as there's an affordable drone with similar or better performance and a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses, I'll be on to it

But other models like the Mavic 2 manage to perform well at mapping too, despite having a rolling shutter.
They don't have to stop to acquire their images.

They have the same rolling shutter that all DJI consumer drones have.
The P4 pro has two (selectable) shutters, the mechanical shutter that works from 8-1/2000th and an electronic shutter from 8 - 1/8000th.

The specs for each drone has all the performance information.
Speed
Air 2S - 42.5 mph in Sport Mode
P4 pro - 45 mph

Ascending
P4 pro - 13.4 mph Sport Mode, 11 mph in Normal Mode

Descending
P4 pro - 9 mph Sport Mode, 6.7 mph in Normal Mode

How is size important?

The P4 pro is my drone of choice because it's still the best available so far for what I want to do with a drone.
DJI_0970a-X4.jpg

But as soon as there's an affordable drone with similar or better performance and a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses, I'll be on to it
Loving this picture, awesome ?
It would look cool framed

Me think awesome too!
I used to take my P4P 2 to Thailand 2 times a year but struggled with weight of batteries in cabin with all other cameras and stuff. I won't be doing it again, when present situation ends.
So a small, quiet, high quality camera as least as good as the P4P would suit me fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1