Was it a drone? British airways flight

Wal...what do you fly?

I hate to say I figured this would happen, if it in fact was a drone, around Heathrow first but I'm not surprised. And you're right. No matter what it was, it was a drone in the minds of the public. To this day 99% of the public still thinks TWA Flight 800 was brought down by a bomb.

I doubt that the P4 firmware would permit it to fly into any of the approaches at LHR.

I notice the no fly zones on the DJI App now that I've updated it. I like that though because before I was using Google Maps to determine if I was outside of five miles before I fly somewhere.

Wal...what do you fly?

I hate to say I figured this would happen, if it in fact was a drone, around Heathrow first but I'm not surprised. And you're right. No matter what it was, it was a drone in the minds of the public. To this day 99% of the public still thinks TWA Flight 800 was brought down by a bomb.

The most recent poll that I could find on that subject only has 8% thinking it was a bomb.

I notice the no fly zones on the DJI App now that I've updated it. I like that though because before I was using Google Maps to determine if I was outside of five miles before I fly somewhere.

Of course, as you pointed out, that doesn't help in terms of public perception. A drone is a drone.

Crazy you actually found a poll for that. Let me restate that. 99% of the people I talk to think it was a bomb.

I just Googled it. It was a Gallup poll. I was curious because I was peripherally involved in the investigation. There's a poll for everything these days.

I just watched the story on the news. Some dipshit computer model showed a Phantom-looking drone going into an engine and the compressor blades completely failing. I'm tired of the media just making up junk. Rolls Royce/GE/Pratt&Whitney throw all sorts of crap in their engines during engineering to ensure this won't happen. Those engines would chew up a Phantom and turn it into powder without probably even surging. And if it did destroy an engine, every single twin jet built is ETOPS certified. It will fly just fine on one engine.

Don't get me wrong. These idiots are not making things better for those of us who are responsible and respect the airport no fly zones. But come on. Please just stop with the scare tactics. This is why I left the media for good.
Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, a P4 would be titanium vs titanium, maybe do some damage?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just Googled it. It was a Gallup poll. I was curious because I was peripherally involved in the investigation. There's a poll for everything these days.

You're right about that. That's cool you were kinda involved with that. That was a hardcore investigation. Many think the NTSB got it wrong. Who knows?

You're right about that. That's cool you were kinda involved with that. That was a hardcore investigation. Many think the NTSB got it wrong. Who knows?

I felt that the evidence for a low-pressure fuel/air tank explosion was pretty unambiguous. Not proven, but nothing else really fitted.

Reactions: Sim597
Not that I don't agree with the sentiment, a P4 would be titanium vs titanium, maybe do some damage?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Maybe the engine manufactures will start chucking drones through the engines during testing from now on. Not that they can do much to improve the design of the fan blades at this point.

The bottom line is, many in the media and the general public believe if you fart in a jet engine it will crash. And that's just not true. But what are you gonna do? Some people will believe whatever they want regardless of facts and science/engineering.

Seems engines have to ingest a 4 kg bird @ takeoff thrust, without catching fire, without slinging shrapnel through the engine casing or without losing the ability to be shut down etc......
And also run 5 minutes above redline and also with EGT 42C above redline temp.

I think that's what the FAR says.

Reactions: b0dyr0ck2006
Seems engines have to ingest a 4 kg bird @ takeoff thrust, without catching fire, without slinging shrapnel through the engine casing or without losing the ability to be shut down etc......
And also run 5 minutes above redline and also with EGT 42C above redline temp.

I think that's what the FAR says.

That's a big bird. Not frozen, I assume.

I found a number........ 3.65 kg, no mention of temperature.

FYI as a data point...TOGA wont arm unless below a certain altitude, like maybe 2000 ft or maybe 2500 ft. So I guess it depends where Speedbird was located on approach to HTL.
Plates show 2500 ft at 7,5 miles to 27 L

Ridiculous! RC aircraft have been around for over 50 years and have flow around airports. The insanity with the word 'Drone' is 100% the fault of the press. Most citizens don't have a fricken clue what a drone is other than a device to spy and kill.
Yeah. Maybe we should refer to Phantoms as quads? :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Ambivalent Squirrel
If our "drones" were called "quadcopters" I'm sure public perception wouldn't be as bad.
If this was a drone involved then they need to find the person and throw the book at him/her with some serious jail time and make an example of him/her with the appropriate publicity.
There needs to be serious consequences for this to make idiots think twice about being so fullish.

Reactions: Ambivalent Squirrel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj