Was I hit by a bird?!?!?!

Reaction score
My screen showed Critical Voltage Error all of a sudden. The battery cells look fine. This was over Crater Lake in Oregon. Was this a bird?!?!?!

Comments and thoughts?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Run the .txt file into HealthyDrones.com free analyzer. You will see what kind of power issue you have. Could be a loose battery for a second.... could be a bird loosening the battery....could be a momentary overheat.... won't know without some data.

Run the .txt file into HealthyDrones.com free analyzer. You will see what kind of power issue you have. Could be a loose battery for a second.... could be a bird loosening the battery....could be a momentary overheat.... won't know without some data.

How do I get the .txt file?

Instructions on getting the TXT file are located on HealthyDrones.com's website. It's easy to do but you need your computer and iTunes.
I'd be esp interested in seeing what your compass reading said during that rough encounter. When mine acted roughly the same way, the compass went apeshit on me. I too initially thought it was the battery but haven't heard back from DJI on what actually went wrong or if it's covered under warranty or not.

Reactions: Jeff48920
I'd like to agree with you as I'm sure birds are responsible for many unexplained downings but I just don't see it [here] conclusively.

It is however more plausible to me than some of the other hypothetical-s so far.

Looked few times again and maybe it's just coast, not wing.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441744057.104681.jpg

looked pretty close to me.
coast is long way away.
i vote for Bird strike.
i had a Bird come at mine one time showed it in the video.

HealthyDrones.com - Health Checks for your Phantom

Can you guys see this? I dont know how to read these logs. Please help.
You have some strange readings on cells one and four ( Low) especially for only two minutes of flight time.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441770823.637156.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441770851.263283.jpg

2 minutes and 11 seconds you show critical battery power. I definitely would not trust this battery. Everything else looks fine from what I can tell.

I also noticed on your second video of the app. That as it went into a spin you it went into Atti mode and came out and then went into landing mode followed by P-GPS

Last edited:
You have some strange readings on cells one and four ( Low) especially for only two minutes of flight time.View attachment 30101View attachment 30102

2 minutes and 11 seconds you show critical battery power. I definitely would not trust this battery. Everything else looks fine from what I can tell.

I also noticed on your second video of the app. That as it went into a spin you it went into Atti mode and came out and then went into landing mode followed by P-GPS

And the compass turn rate is all jacked up, possibly a bird strike/ compass issue.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441771836.648893.jpg

**** good possibility that's what happened. I would really be careful just in case with those battery voltages and if you do decide to fly with that battery, use extra caution' stay low and close to the ground and re run that log and look at the battery information and compare it to this last run. Let us know what you find. Best of luck Pedro

I just want to say that it looks like in the video that the drone was "jolted" twice. Anyone agree?

If it makes you feel *any* better ... this is how mine was behaving prior to sending it in for repair. I haven't yet heard what's wrong but it had some periodic battery warnings and the compass was littered with errors. When I get word on the problem, I will report right back here so that maybe you can learn from mine. In all, the problem got progressively worse even after IMU calibrations. 5 of my last 8 flights had minor to major problems. Ultimately I only kept flying in an open field to document the issue properly so that DJI could validate what was happening, I knew it couldn't be trusted.

Reactions: Pedro Coelho

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31