Warranty exchange- should I keep my old transmitter (for better range)?

Reaction score
I have a P3P that hit a tree during a straight-up takeoff before plummeting 100 feet into a street where it was smashed into pieces. Thankfully, bestbuy considers this a "malfunction" even though I know it was pilot error.. I didn't look up before I took off (STUPID mistake I know, AND I've been flying quads for 5 years.)

Anyway, my Phantom has the old motors and the replacement they want to give me has the updated ones.

My question- I've heard a lot about the old versions having much better video transmission distances than the updated one. I like to fly far. I'm sort of bummed to be getting the updated unit fir that reason. I'm sure it remains the same, but I'm given the option to keep my old transmitter. Would there be any reason, range wise to do this?

Do we know if there ever actually was a range difference?

Thanks

Guessing there's no chance your able to go test the two remotes somewhere if you left them with a deposit on the remote if you were to never return?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Guessing there's no chance your able to go test the two remotes somewhere if you left them with a deposit on the remote if you were to never return?

Not with BestBuy. :(

Not with BestBuy. :(
You say that the new one has worse video transmission surely it can't be a HUGE difference surely ? Plus the remotes shouldn't be any different just the motors?

Ask if they allow you to buy it, pay unto $100 as you can easily sell off at this price later.

You say that the new one has worse video transmission surely it can't be a HUGE difference surely ? Plus the remotes shouldn't be any different just the motors?

I also don't think remote will make any difference as LightBridge is the same in both.

The A and B RCs both have the same power output for the control signal. It's only the C version of the RC that has reduced power. The video transmitter however is in the bird, and the power for that has been reduced with each new version of the Phantom. First reduced by 18% in relation to the original and then later by 30% in relation to the original.

Old Motors vs. New Ones

Reactions: JoBe
The A and B RCs both have the same power output for the control signal. It's only the C version of the RC that has reduced power. The video transmitter however is in the bird, and the power for that has been reduced with each new version of the Phantom. First reduced by 18% in relation to the original and then later by 30% in relation to the original.

Old Motors vs. New Ones
Do you think it's a significant difference? I barely got a 10,100' range with my old one, hope my new phantom with the updated motors won't be too noticeable, say hopefully not reduced to 8,200'...

I guess it's better having a new, flying phantom with mediocre range vs a busted up one that needs $500 in repairs with great range.

Last edited:
Do you think it's a significant difference? I barely got a 10,100' range with my old one, hope my new phantom with the updated motors won't be too noticeable, say reduced to 8,200'...

I guess it's better having a new, flying phantom with mediocre range vs a busted up one that needs $500 in repairs with great range.
If you read the rest of the thread in that link, it explains in there that there is a significant difference if you do long distance flights. Not so much really if you don't. Since you noted that you like to fly far, it sounds for sure like something you should consider. @GadgetGuy seems to be the forum expert on this topic, so maybe he will see this and chime in with advice for you.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If you read the rest of the thread in that link, it explains in there that there is a significant difference if you do long distance flights. Not so much really if you don't. Since you noted that you like to fly far, it sounds for sure like something you should consider. @GadgetGuy seems to be the forum expert on this topic, so maybe he will see this and chime in with advice for you.
Thanks, I also didn't see the previous info in this thread because the site was glitching out. I guess like I said earlier though, better to have a flying bird than none at all. Maybe someone wants to trade..

I have a P3P that hit a tree during a straight-up takeoff before plummeting 100 feet into a street where it was smashed into pieces. Thankfully, bestbuy considers this a "malfunction" even though I know it was pilot error.. I didn't look up before I took off (STUPID mistake I know, AND I've been flying quads for 5 years.)

Anyway, my Phantom has the old motors and the replacement they want to give me has the updated ones.

My question- I've heard a lot about the old versions having much better video transmission distances than the updated one. I like to fly far. I'm sort of bummed to be getting the updated unit fir that reason. I'm sure it remains the same, but I'm given the option to keep my old transmitter. Would there be any reason, range wise to do this?

Do we know if there ever actually was a range difference?

Thanks
How did you get an old motor bird from Best Buy within their exchange period backwards from today? Do they still have some in stock anywhere, or did you buy some extended warranty from them, which is still in effect, back when the old motor birds were the only ones?

Keep your original transmitter if you can, unless the new one is the GL300B as the GL300A and GL300B have the same power outputs for control.

The real issue is the 18% loss of video power output for FPV from the W323A aircraft, over the W323.

You are in the same boat I was: DJI warranty covered crash of original old motor bird with 200 awesome flights, and I bought a replacement in the interim from Best Buy: New motor W323A with GL300B. The video range from the new bird was so bad, I returned for another, hoping it was just a bad unit. New one had the exact same video range problem. I then purchased two used W323 old motor birds and solved my video range problem, and exchanged the W323A for a full upgrade exchange credit towards the P4, with a help of an understanding Best Buy manager. DJI ultimately replaced my original P3P with an original motor W322 (P3A) with the P3P camera attached. Birdside video power on the W322 is .729 watts rather than .746 watts on the W323, which is only marginally less. The W323A is only .612 watts, which is 18% less than the W323. That was roughly the reduction in video range between the two. I was getting 4-5 miles with the W323, but only 3-4 miles with the W323A, and needed significantly higher elevations to even achieve that range. The difference for my type of long range flying and videography was night and day.

Last edited:

Old Motors vs. New Ones
Exactly! :cool:

Do you think it's a significant difference? I barely got a 10,100' range with my old one, hope my new phantom with the updated motors won't be too noticeable, say reduced to 8,200'...

I think you just said it, really seems like a no brainier.

I think you just said it, really seems like a no brainier.

Certainly. For the distances he's flying, he, and most others, won't notice the change, and the new motor birds fly more efficiently, so he'll see increased flying time of 10% or so. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I still want to know how he has an old motor bird bought at Best Buy that has a crash covered by Best Buy today...:confused:

Certainly. For the distances he's flying, he, and most others, won't notice the change, and the new motor birds fly more efficiently, so he'll see increased flying time of 10% or so. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I still want to know how he has an old motor bird bought at Best Buy that has a crash covered by Best Buy today...:confused:
Thanks for the input. I bought the bird a couple months ago but the Best Buy here in Emeryville, Ca tends to be pretty sympathetic and lenient thankfully. With regards to range, do you mean that I should probably still get the barely-10,100' that I got before?

Thanks for the input. I bought the bird a couple months ago but the Best Buy here in Emeryville, Ca tends to be pretty sympathetic and lenient thankfully. With regards to range, do you mean that I should probably still get the barely-10,100' that I got before?
Yeah, I bought my replacement P3P the first week in January from Best Buy. I didn't realize any old motor birds were still in the Best Buy channel at that time. Would have saved a ton of grief! Your control range will be the same either way. Your FPV at that distance should be fine, too, with either model aircraft. New motors will get you 10% more flying time. It's really important to have a store manager who genuinely wants to help. I went to another Best Buy first, and they told me their job as manager was to rigidly enforce the 15 day return policy! :rolleyes: Are you an Elite or Elite Plus member?

Yeah, I bought my replacement P3P the first week in January from Best Buy. I didn't realize any old motor birds were still in the Best Buy channel at that time. Would have saved a ton of grief! Your control range will be the same either way. Your FPV at that distance should be fine, too, with either model aircraft. New motors will get you 10% more flying time. It's really important to have a store manager who genuinely wants to help. I went to another Best Buy first, and they told me their job as manager was to rigidly enforce the 15 day return policy! :rolleyes: Are you an Elite or Elite Plus member?
I think I'm whichever member you are by default... I've spent a lot there though and they know that ;)

Just exchange everything. WTF all this discussion. You are lucky they are exchanging it period with no cost yo you. Be honest, you are really getting a good deal here brother. Just exchange for a whole new system which is the logical thing to do.

Just exchange everything. WTF all this discussion. You are lucky they are exchanging it period with no cost yo you. Be honest, you are really getting a good deal here brother. Just exchange for a whole new system which is the logical thing to do.
I agree, I've swapped the Phantom, Battery, and TX at this point. I'm hitting myself over the head about the range issue but it's easy to forget I don't need to pay tons to get it fixed.. I am very grateful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers