Warning Notes

Reaction score
I used to consider myself half way intelligent until I got a drone. I am having all sorts of issues. I have flown it fine but lately no go. I am wondering if it is the warning I got today.
It says "Wi-Fi unavailable Loading satellite map requires more cellular data" . What's that mean? This was first then when I tried to calibrate the compass to which it popped up "Press stat to calibrate compass" then there is NO start button??
warning.PNG

Any one know what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

It says "Wi-Fi unavailable Loading satellite map requires more cellular data" . What's that mean?
Fairly straight forward it appears. Maps will not load without WI-Fi or Cellular data to load the maps. GPS location is a seperate issue. If you are in a location with no internet access, the maps will not load. They can be pre-cached however.

This was first then when I tried to calibrate the compass to which it popped up "Press stat to calibrate compass" then there is NO start button??
If the aircraft does not know where it is, other than pure GPS data. The app will not allow you to calibrate. That one is only speculation. Personally I have never had the issue. I always pre-cache and turn data and wi-fi off before flying.

I am wondering if it is the warning I got today.
It says "Wi-Fi unavailable Loading satellite map requires more cellular data" . What's that mean?
Any one know what I need to do to fix this?
It's not a warning of anything that needs to be "fixed".
It's just advising that map data can't be loaded unless you have wifi or mobile data.
But map data isn't at all necessary to fly anyway.
This was first then when I tried to calibrate the compass to which it popped up "Press stat to calibrate compass" then there is NO start button??
Did you really need to calibrate the compass?
It shouldn't be necessary unless you modify or rebuild the drone.
If your drone has been flying properly, the compass doesn't need recalibrating.

It's not a warning of anything that needs to be "fixed".
It's just advising that map data can't be loaded unless you have wifi or mobile data.
But map data isn't at all necessary to fly anyway.

Did you really need to calibrate the compass?
It shouldn't be necessary unless you modify or rebuild the drone.
If your drone has been flying properly, the compass doesn't need recalibrating.
Most of what I have read and watched tells me to calibrate the compass each time when flying from a different location. I live in Illinois and traveled to Oregon and flew without calibration, and my P4 flew flawlessly. I didn't go far. (It was tough to fly with my fingers crossed). Even though it worked, I still want to calibrate each time...just in case. So what is the real correct thing to do to eliminate the possibility of a problem? Calibrate or not?

I was at a DJI photography class in Chicago and they told us we should calibrate the compass every time
That is the typical DJI response. Calibrating the compass on every flight is not neccessary and can introduce issues. Unless the app advises you to do so, don't. Also, the easiest way to determine if a calibration is needed is to check your aircrafts position before flight. If the aircraft Icon in the app is facing the same physical direction as the aircraft, then your compass should be fine.

I was at a DJI photography class in Chicago and they told us we should calibrate the compass every time
Hi from England UK, I have never Re-calibrated the compass in my P3 advanced in 3 years. It has always flown without problem. I have also never updated the drone or controller since the initial installation. As long as it fly's as its supposed to that's fine by me. If its not broke don't fix it.

Reactions: DigitalSkyPilot
Most of what I have read and watched tells me to calibrate the compass each time when flying from a different location. I live in Illinois and traveled to Oregon and flew without calibration, and my P4 flew flawlessly. I didn't go far. (It was tough to fly with my fingers crossed). Even though it worked, I still want to calibrate each time...just in case.
Yes, there's a lot of misinformation and myth about compass calibration.
It comes from people not understanding what compass calibration actually does.
Calibrating the compass measures the magnetic fields that are part of your drone so they can be subtracted from compass data to give accurate information.
The magnetic fields that are part of the drone don't change from day to day or when you travel any distance,
My main drone is a 3 year old P4 pro that has never had anything calibrated and flies as well as the day it arrived.
So what is the real correct thing to do to eliminate the possibility of a problem? Calibrate or not?
Do what the P4 pro manual tells you:
i-Q9CJx8r-M.jpg

And if you think the app is telling you to recalibrate, it probably isn't.
Read the message again and if it says: magnetic field interference Move aircraft or calibrate compass ...
The correct action is to move away from the magnetic interference that the compass is warning you about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31