Visualize Your Airspaces in 3D

Forgive my confusion, but please explain why no authorization is needed to enter the Class E airspace. I understand the principle of being able to go over the 400' AGL rule as long as we are within 400' of the tower. Ignoring the airspace, I'm good with the fact that the 600' tower allows me to be 1000' AGL, or 2134' MSL in this case. However as soon as I go 100' above the 600' tower I hit 700' AGL and clearly enter Class E airspace. If I go on up to the 400' above the tower then I am 300' into Class E airspace. How do I not need authorization at this point?

I live near and often fly close to a Class E airport, so want to make very sure that I have a clear understanding of this.

Reactions: BigAl07
No authorization is ever needed for Class E airspace with the exception of Class E surface areas that surround an airport.

Reactions: BigAl07
@rmoore0852 I completely understand your confusion on this topic. It doesn't make sense but Russ is 100% accurate in this video. It's been a "point of argument" since it went into effect.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is possibly an oversight (error) on the part of the FAA/ATC. I fully understand that in most instances there is no need to worry about sUAS entering into Class ECHO airspace that is not SFC and stating "if no authorization is required you are allowed to fly". It boggles my mind that you could "legally" fly in Class ECHO at 1000' (AGL) and it not require an authorization. I think it's just an oversight and since it's a rarity that this would happen they just went with it.

The above is Allen's 2-cents and nothing more.

FAR 91.119 (b) states the no person my fly an aircraft lower than 1000 ft above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2000 ft from aircraft.
So if everyone is following the rules correctly the aircraft and sUAS will have a vertical separation of at least 600 ft.
Keep in mind both manned aircraft and sUAS pilots have to follow see and avoid rules.
IMG_0421.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4