visual sensor question

D

DrewFlies

I seen some people had accidents or mishaps after turning off the visual sensor on the P3.

I plan on filming some of the beaches in my area. Is it true water will make the virutal sensor go crazy and result a crash?

Whats your best advice when flying over water?

Reactions: EnronCEO
No people have been getting errors thrown at them with VPS on, many have turned this setting off while flying outdoors for this reason. I am about to post something on this subject regarding to these error messages so keep an eye on it.

Som
No people have been getting errors thrown at them with VPS on, many have turned this setting off while flying outdoors for this reason. I am about to post something on this subject regarding to these error messages so keep an eye on it.

someone just posted a thread explaining that his P3 was perfectly fine and once he turned VPS off. His P3 went crazy upon landing. he brought it to the ground and held the left stick down. P3 shut off and then turned back on and shot up 10-15 feet. Then, was basically playing a yo-yo game with him for a moment.

Not seen that thread, doubt it will have been to do with FPS tho, we have all ready seen a few issues regarding VPS, and i posted a video of the exact same thing happening to someone landing it with VPS on a couple of weeks ago.

Not seen that thread, doubt it will have been to do with FPS tho, we have all ready seen a few issues regarding VPS, and i posted a video of the exact same thing happening to someone landing it with VPS on a couple of weeks ago.

Can you share that video with me. I have been flying with VPS on and so far had no problems as I could never find the optiom to turn it off. People have explained the steps to turn it off but I dont see the same options they see on their app. I have been using 1.1.8 and havent flown my quad in over a week because I was on vacation. Im more interested in learning about VPS now because I plan to fly over water.
I have seen a quite a few posts with people having errors flying over water with VPS on.

Yes it seems to have been over water or trees when the sonic sensor gets to much bad data that causes the error, at high altitude tho this shouldn't happen but it has been doing. I have only heard reports of this tho when everyone was using 1.1.8, hence my other thread on this subject.

To turn it off, press mode button in the App, then advanced settings, then scroll down to the bottom and its there. Hope this helps

Do a pre station flight at 1 feet above grass until the battery runs out. If everything is clear charge it again and then before flying over beach, lake or water do a weather checklist for perfect flying conditions. Never fly directly in sunlight, especially over water always have a spotter with you, sometimes you will lose FPV signal or line of sight. Complete a full flight checklist. And the most important of all, get insurance for your drone, because if you follow all the steps correctly and it still crashes in the water it ether is a pilot error, or a malfunction at that point.

Do a pre station flight at 1 feet above grass until the battery runs out. If everything is clear charge it again and then before flying over beach, lake or water do a weather checklist for perfect flying conditions. Never fly directly in sunlight, especially over water always have a spotter with you, sometimes you will lose FPV signal or line of sight. Complete a full flight checklist. And the most important of all, get insurance for your drone, because if you follow all the steps correctly and it still crashes in the water it ether is a pilot error, or a malfunction at that point.

Ok so my question is. Should certainly turn of vps when flying over water or is that a myth.

Ok so my question is. Should certainly turn of vps when flying over water or is that a myth.
That is a myth...my 3rd flight with P3 i took it down about 10-12" off the ground at the exact point were the water was meeting the sand.....not a twitch....spent half that flight flying a foot or so off the ground right over the area where land and see meet....flew fast, flew slow, hovered etc. ...not a glitch......same flight i also flew 10 inches or so over the grass to a ledge or cliff that drops down about 8 feet then the beach is below....not a single glitch......it didn't drop altitude trying to maintain 10" or any of some of the other myths I've heard.
VPS is a backup system in the case gps is lost or not available period. I hand catch all the time and have grabbed it from the back right under the sensors and it was fine.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Here's a little footage.....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you're flying over water, I'd imagine you will be outside? In that case you will (more than likely) have satellite lock and this should override the VPS. Unless the water is indoors, you won't have any issues. Also, VPS only works up to a certain height, doesn't it? I fly over water all the time with no issues.

I can't comment about using the VPS over water BUT I was just out flying at night and can say that it didn't work well in the dark. With the VPS on at 4to10' it caused the quad to slightly wander in a circular motion, similar to the "toilet bowel effect" that was an issue with the P2+. Turned it off and let the GPS take over and it was solid as a rock!

The problem with VPS on, when flying outside, will show if you are hovering less then 3m altitude from gnd and you go with something under the sonic sensors. It probably will rise up to 3m above the new object. I want to check it as soon possible. My dear old parrot ardrone make the same.
Tipically hand catching going directly under bird.

Great footage. I was at a park with 50 foot sand dunes with my P2V+and was wondering how the P3 would behave if I lowered it to the max and charged full-tilt at an upwards sloping 50 foot sand dune. Would the sensor allow it to ride the slope upwards and gain altitude as needed? I'll check out more videos, very promising..

Would the sensor allow it to ride the slope upwards and gain altitude as needed?
No. You must control the altitude as needed.

No. You must control the altitude as needed.
Is that because the sensor(s) are downward looking and not on all sides? That would be an upgrade. Sensors on all sides and a "buffer" mode of sorts. A protective sensor bubble to concentrate more on the cam work in that situation and not put the drone in harm's way (as much). I'd be reluctant to try that without loads of practice and that type of geography is not represented in my area ;-)

VPS is only used to help the Phantom hold its position when close to the ground. It does not increase/decrease altitude to maintain a set distance from the ground as you're flying though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31