Visiting Canada from US - Anything I need to be aware of?

Reaction score
I am road-tripping with the family in a few weeks. As part of that trip, we plan to enter Canada near Detroit MI, stay with some friends in Toronto for a few days, drive up to Montreal, then re-enter the US into Maine where we will visit some other friends. I expect we will be in Canada for 6-7 days max.
Doing research on drone-friendliness within Canada, I'm getting a lot of mixed messages. I've read that is it fine as long as you stay away from people and personal property, and keep under 90m. However I also read about someone having their drone confiscated at the border. It seems like the laws have changed a lot over the last couple of years.

I don't care that much about not being able to fly within Canada, but I can't afford to go taking chances if there is the possibility of having it confiscated.

Does anyone here have any personal experience / knowledge on traveling into Canada with a drone?

Thanks!
MJ

Watch this video. Looks like Canada - or at least Ontario where this guy is- is not drone friendly at all...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks, it certainly doesn't look promising. However that video is over a year old and I believe laws have changed since then.
Anyone have any first-hand experience this year?

Thanks, it certainly doesn't look promising. However that video is over a year old and I believe laws have changed since then.
Anyone have any first-hand experience this year?
First and foremost it would be wise to ignore clickbait youtubers and go directly to the source.

Transport Canada regulates the sky here so please visit the "Fly your drone safe" site:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

One thing to keep in mind is that the weight of your drone matters in regards to how close you can fly to unsuspecting people and private property (without permission of owner). For example a Spark/Mavic is 30m (away / lateral) while a phantom is 75m.

You don't need to register your drone with TC, but you do need to mark it with your name, address And telephone number.

The obvious 5.5km away from active airports, 1.8 km away from helipads/hospitals and don't fly in national parks -- Note: Ontario provincial parks are allowed (for now) not sure about Quebec provincial parks so know the difference between provincial and national.

The not so obvious;

You're only allowed to fly line of sight, and no higher than 90m.

As for Toronto, the airspace here is quite restricted. Downtown lakeshore is pretty much a nofly zone due to the billy bishop island airport (heavily used by regional airlnes gen aviation).

If you're going to visit Niagra falls; it's also a no fly zone (from the Canadian side anyway, not sure about the State side). There are helicopter tour operators in the area and the airspace is highly regulated (one entrance one exit).

Very good information to have. I've considered entering Canada via the 1000 Islands bridge next time we're in that area, and my P4 would be along for the ride.

Thanks for the excellent info Spirytus.
At this point I'm not sure that I want to even attempt to fly in Canada unless I'm in the middle of nowhere, my biggest concern was more along the lines of getting my phantom confiscated at the border. It sounds like this must have been a very isolated incident, and I'm sure there was more to the story.
I'm not feeling terribly confident, but at least according to official documentation, I should be fine bringing it with me on my travels. I have 10 days to make up my mind...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.