TRAVEL WARNING: Don't take your drone with you, even tourist

Re: TRAVEL WARNING: Don't take your drone with you, even tou

Cambodia bans drones. If I read the article correctly, drones are banned in the capital city of Phnom Penh because a tourist thought it would be ok to fly over the Royal Palace, resulting in alarming the queen in her courtyard.

This is why we can't have anything nice.
http://thediplomat.com/2015/02/cambodia-bans-drones/

Has anybody been to Serbia? I read about Croatia and Slovenia so I suppose Im safe...?

Serbia is a country separate from Croatia and Slovenia, so not sure I follow your logic.

Just had my inspire taken while entering Lima last night. Only here a week to shoot some biking in Cusco. Anyone around Lima that could help expedite getting a temp. Permit to get the bird out of hock at customs?? Help please!!

Just got one of DJI quadcopters..Anyone survived bringing it to the philippines?, if so how?? Thanks

Peru: Any updates this year? I'm going in a couple of weeks and would like to take my Phantom. Last comments here were that one person had to obtain a special permit not available at the airport and another said it was possible to pay a sort of fee at the airport and get waved in.

If anyone is travelling to Brazil and wishes to bring their drone on the trip, I can provide the homologation service for 130 dollars or 115 euros via PayPal, which includes the Anatel fee. Unfortunately Anatel (Brazilian Communications Comission) does not provide clear information regarding foreigner tourists bringing their drone temporarily into the country, but they do demand homologation license for all drones being imported, and it is valid for 2 years. The process is done online, it is in Portuguese only, and requires that the applicant have a CPF number (Brazilian social security number), and the fee payment has to be done through a brazilian bank (Banco do Brasil), so that's is where I come in and do the process under my name. The process has to be done well in advance before your trip, as it can take anywhere from 5 to 20 business to be concluded.

If anyone needs this service, please let me know. I have homologated 5 drones so far.

Regards,

David Ache
[email protected]

I traveled from USA to South Korea recently and groaned when I saw my Phantom come off of the baggage claim wrapped in yellow police tape :).

I talked with customs, they ran it through the x-Ray, and I was on my way in less than five minutes.

I think it caught their eye as something they don't see often, and it would've happened with any unusual bag, not just one with a toy helicopter :)

I'm traveling to Rwanda this winter so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have taken my drone to Ghana, the US, and South Africa without any issues at all. I'm traveling to Hong Kong and Taiwan next week with it, as well, and don't expect to run into any problems.

I'll be going to France, London and Barcelona from November 4th-15th. Anyone have any trouble with the P3 as a carry on in those airports/places? Thanks!

I have brought my P2V+ to the following countries and flown w/o issue:

Mexico
Belize
Honduras
Grand Cayman
Thailand

I'll be bring to Taiwan and Singapore at the end of the year. I don't expect to encounter problem, but will report back.

Hey,

I'm heading to Honduras in March and was thinking of bringing my P3. Where in Honduras did you fly it? I'm going to Roatan, and would love to get some shots.

You had no troubles there?

Thanks

Hey,

I'm heading to Honduras in March and was thinking of bringing my P3. Where in Honduras did you fly it? I'm going to Roatan, and would love to get some shots.

You had no troubles there?

Thanks
Ni trouble in Roatan. Flew at Roatan.

I bought a 2nd hand battery from a guy in London last week. I asked him what happened to his Phantom if it had flown away or something. He told me he was on going holiday to Morocco and when he arrived the airport security took one look at his P3A told him it was not allowed and apparently just took it from him controller case and all.
I really felt for him as I have had a similar experience myself when traveling through Guangzhou (hmm strange this I wonder where they make batteries for a Phantom3?) airport in China. Before I left I checked the regulations for the airline and thought all would be ok and when I left Heathrow it was perfectly ok to take as cabin baggage my P3P and 3 batteries.
When I left china however and had to go through their security I was robbed of one of my batteries as you are apparently only allowed to have 2 with you on board the aircraft. I was absolutely fuming with rage and nearly got slightly abusive to the security guy, but thought it better to hide my rage after I had made my point lest I wind up in a Chinese goulag.

Entered Colombia last week via Eldorado airport in bogota, walked straight in and no worries.

Interesting thread. I will follow. I have personally take my P2V+ in its original box as well as GoProfessional case to the following location

Singapore through SIN
Thailand through BKK
USA through LAX
USA trough MIA
Mexico, Cozumel, cruise line
Belize, cruise line
Honduras, Roatan, cruise line
Taiwan, through TPE
Hong Kong through HKG
China through HK border

All since 2014 or after.

Ps, didnt realize I was already following

Last edited:
Hello.

I will travel to Thailand, Koh Samui tomorrow. I will fly from Norway to Moscow and then to Thailand Bangkok and then to Koh Samui. Is there any problems with russian or thailand regarding drones and taking them with the carry on luggage?

Hi All,

I just wanted to post a quick list (start of a list if others would help), of where it is safe, questionable, impossible to take your drone with you on vacation. This is valid for tourists mostly, as many like to take the drone to new places!

If some moderator thinks this is duplicate or should be made a sticky somewhre I'd have loved to have known before losing my P2V+, Case, acessories, all in one go to "Customs"...

OK To Enter little/no restrictions (i.e. flight guards in the app are ok)
USA - ok for everyone to go into and out of? (need more proof but afaik no one ever had troubles?)
Canada - ok to go into/out of (cred: nhoover / 18 aug 2014)
Greece - ok (thanks Geert / 18 aug 2014)
Thailand - ok - reported having to show the drone a few times on entering, but no issues. (thanks Geert / 18 aug 2014)
Myanmar - ok (thanks Geert / 18 aug 2014)

OK To Some restrictions (apart from flight guards for airports, etc, other things may get you in trouble)
France - ok for everyone to go into and out of? (need more proof but afaik no one ever had troubles?) / Local laws prohibit filming public places? (looking into more info for above)
Italy - same as above (looking for more info to ocmplete the post, should have some in the next hrs... Maybe something throughout europe)
UK - ok to go into/out of - beware of local restriction: "don't fly above 400', and don't fly within 50m (150') of people or buildings" (thanks HarryT / 18 aug 2014)

DEFINITELY DONT COME!!!! If you drone, dont even visit these places! - either leave your travel plans behind, or leave the drone behing... confiscation awaits...
Brazil - nope, forget taking pictures of the beaches and beautiful sights here... *Any* drone found by customs is retained due to some new normative (not a law, but no one needs laws now adays) from the local "FCC"... Despite being OK for the FCC and other similar bodies, apparently Brazil's didnt get their share$$$, so all drones banned (using xray, or by luck if its in a suitcase - if you have a hardcase they will target 100% for inspection) - you *can* buy a drone locally then take it away with you. Prices will vary but should be about 2-3x the cost of a drone in the US. Further law in case anyone is interested: Customs Code Decree nº 6.759/2009 articles 542 and 564 / Temporary Measure 2158/01 art 68 / ANATEL resolution nº 242/2000 (In summary all these state that customs can look through and inspect/confiscate, and the anatel codes say that anything which can cause interference due to radio transmission must be certified and tested by them. none is drone-specific and the specific targeting of drones is somethng probably "off-the-record" and is recent. http://phantombrasil.com/apreensoes-da- ... omologado/ Brazilian site posted a collection of stories on Jul 22 2014, so this is really recent... The largest local paper (Estadao) posted on Jul 13th a piece on Drones and does not mention any confiscations or problems. It DOES mention people bringing them in their luggage, and also that "no laws exist", and that the local telecom regulatory agency (ANATEL) expects to have rules in place by 2015... I guess something changed along the way. Just for full disclosure, on another site, a thread from March details a DHL package stopped in customs and requesting the same "Certificate from Communications Agency (ANATEL)", the following week a commenter said that he received his package without issue, so it was not a full-on ban as it now seems... Could be that with the post its hit-and-miss too... but customs in the airport here will *always* stop skb/pelican cases, etc,...

As may have guessed, I was in europe with a drone and had no issues, although was "warned" ir could be fined or confiscated (no one could tell for sure) in italy and france. And arriving in brazil, straight to lock up... I'm not sure if a re-export process is possible. I'm looking into it.

UPDATE: http://www.riot.ch/legal-information-ab ... ommercial/ may contain a lot of pertinent info... I will try and pull the pertinent stuff for non-comemrcial use into this thread as best i can in the coming days.
Not so much a place but do realize this. Imagine planning an adventure. For example a cruise with Royal Caribbean. You will be visiting a few places like Jamaica, Cozumel, Labadee. You might get the bright idea that filming a tropical waterfall or coastline. You plan to avoid humans as much as possible but too bad, so sad. You will NOT be allowed to transport it on the ship. PERIOD! This fact came to be as my most recent cruise took place December 2015. Don't try it, forget it. They will take it from you and kindly return it when your cruise is over. Always some idiot ruining it for everyone else. Seems someone decided it would be a good idea to fly from a ship. A passenger got annoyed. End of story. PLEASE STOP ANNOYING OTHERS. Fly responsible. You are killing this hobby. Wont be long till there is no point in owning one.

Not so much a place but do realize this. Imagine planning an adventure. For example a cruise with Royal Caribbean. You will be visiting a few places like Jamaica, Cozumel, Labadee. You might get the bright idea that filming a tropical waterfall or coastline. You plan to avoid humans as much as possible but too bad, so sad. You will NOT be allowed to transport it on the ship. PERIOD! This fact came to be as my most recent cruise took place December 2015. Don't try it, forget it. They will take it from you and kindly return it when your cruise is over. Always some idiot ruining it for everyone else. Seems someone decided it would be a good idea to fly from a ship. A passenger got annoyed. End of story. PLEASE STOP ANNOYING OTHERS. Fly responsible. You are killing this hobby. Wont be long till there is no point in owning one.

I have similar story, except, they allow me to pick it up when I disembark at any of the port.

Hi All,

I just wanted to post a quick list (start of a list if others would help), of where it is safe, questionable, impossible to take your drone with you on vacation. This is valid for tourists mostly, as many like to take the drone to new places!

If some moderator thinks this is duplicate or should be made a sticky somewhre I'd have loved to have known before losing my P2V+, Case, acessories, all in one go to "Customs"...

OK To Enter little/no restrictions (i.e. flight guards in the app are ok)
USA - ok for everyone to go into and out of? (need more proof but afaik no one ever had troubles?)
Canada - ok to go into/out of (cred: nhoover / 18 aug 2014)
Greece - ok (thanks Geert / 18 aug 2014)
Thailand - ok - reported having to show the drone a few times on entering, but no issues. (thanks Geert / 18 aug 2014)
Myanmar - ok (thanks Geert / 18 aug 2014)

OK To Some restrictions (apart from flight guards for airports, etc, other things may get you in trouble)
France - ok for everyone to go into and out of? (need more proof but afaik no one ever had troubles?) / Local laws prohibit filming public places? (looking into more info for above)
Italy - same as above (looking for more info to ocmplete the post, should have some in the next hrs... Maybe something throughout europe)
UK - ok to go into/out of - beware of local restriction: "don't fly above 400', and don't fly within 50m (150') of people or buildings" (thanks HarryT / 18 aug 2014)

DEFINITELY DONT COME!!!! If you drone, dont even visit these places! - either leave your travel plans behind, or leave the drone behing... confiscation awaits...
Brazil - nope, forget taking pictures of the beaches and beautiful sights here... *Any* drone found by customs is retained due to some new normative (not a law, but no one needs laws now adays) from the local "FCC"... Despite being OK for the FCC and other similar bodies, apparently Brazil's didnt get their share$$$, so all drones banned (using xray, or by luck if its in a suitcase - if you have a hardcase they will target 100% for inspection) - you *can* buy a drone locally then take it away with you. Prices will vary but should be about 2-3x the cost of a drone in the US. Further law in case anyone is interested: Customs Code Decree nº 6.759/2009 articles 542 and 564 / Temporary Measure 2158/01 art 68 / ANATEL resolution nº 242/2000 (In summary all these state that customs can look through and inspect/confiscate, and the anatel codes say that anything which can cause interference due to radio transmission must be certified and tested by them. none is drone-specific and the specific targeting of drones is somethng probably "off-the-record" and is recent. http://phantombrasil.com/apreensoes-da- ... omologado/ Brazilian site posted a collection of stories on Jul 22 2014, so this is really recent... The largest local paper (Estadao) posted on Jul 13th a piece on Drones and does not mention any confiscations or problems. It DOES mention people bringing them in their luggage, and also that "no laws exist", and that the local telecom regulatory agency (ANATEL) expects to have rules in place by 2015... I guess something changed along the way. Just for full disclosure, on another site, a thread from March details a DHL package stopped in customs and requesting the same "Certificate from Communications Agency (ANATEL)", the following week a commenter said that he received his package without issue, so it was not a full-on ban as it now seems... Could be that with the post its hit-and-miss too... but customs in the airport here will *always* stop skb/pelican cases, etc,...

As may have guessed, I was in europe with a drone and had no issues, although was "warned" ir could be fined or confiscated (no one could tell for sure) in italy and france. And arriving in brazil, straight to lock up... I'm not sure if a re-export process is possible. I'm looking into it.

UPDATE: http://www.riot.ch/legal-information-ab ... ommercial/ may contain a lot of pertinent info... I will try and pull the pertinent stuff for non-comemrcial use into this thread as best i can in the coming days.

Just a question for everyone commenting, Zinnware's post made me take note of this... could you include in your descriptions whether you have been in/out of multiple times, where from/to, and also if you had any customs inspection? (i.e. I could have brought mine in a backpack without problem, but being stopped in the X-Ray meant that they had a clear sight...) Its different to "just go thgough", or to go through an x-ray and have nothing said/asked...

Just so I can add the relevant info...

thks for all contributions!
Just flew into Ecuador, they xray your luggage along with carry on and will impose 30% tax on your drone.....

Traveling to Moscow in June, and I plan to shoot these places:

Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood
Palace Square
Narva Triumphal Arc
A city skyline taken from Neva River

I know that drones need to be registered but UAV haven't gotten back to me. Need some advice please. Thanks!

The same with Hallstatt and Salzburg in Austria.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl