Vision + New Features

flyNfrank said:
I'm not sure why but I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly it is you are referring to. I'm guessing you are referring to the speed of the quad while in the GPS mode?

Btw, you guys do know that the sdk deal is open to everyone, right? Basically you fill out a questionnaire for level 1. They then decide if you become developer and send you a email with links if you get approved.

I know you don't like me. But I believe your guess is correct, that he is asking whether it could be possible to speed up the ground station, autonomous flying with the preset points. Something ilovecoffee did with the hacked app for Android.

You could probably find that information in the SDK's API documentation under Level 2, under Ground Station set of method calls. There is probably a method that receives as input some parameters like latitude, longitude, height. So the question is whether it also has a parameter for speed? And what type that parameter is, is it an enum type with only fixed speeds predefined like slow,medium,fast. Or are you free to input the speed as integer with any value.

I agree with you that anyone can apply but the process is not as easy, especially for Level 2. Since you have to scan your ID/passport and write full application proposal. So you can see why people might be interested to get some answers like these from you who already got access.

Nathan Carter said:
Mopar Bob said:
Sorry, I meant what programming language. Java, C, C++, PHP or DJI's own?

The SDK does not come with the software/application environment to write the code in. SDK is just a set of precompiled(you don't get the source code) binary libraries, that you include in your existing project. In theory you could use any language. But since the SDK gets precompiled in two "flavors": iOS platform and Android platform, you will either include those libraries in Eclipse where you already have your Android Development Environment configured and therefore (most logical choice) use Java language. OR you will include the iOS precompiled libraries on a Mac in Xcode. In Xcode you will be best of using the new language by Apple: Swift, or Objective-C. You can easily also mix in plain old C code.

Theoretically I also don't see any reason why it could not be use with Xamarin platform (http://xamarin.com/) so you could use C# or Appcelerator Titanium(http://www.appcelerator.com/titanium/) so you could even use JavaScript.

Thanks for that info. So I guess you can't use the SDK to peruse the code to work around some of the bugs and limitations that DJI has incorporated in their code. For instance, what I would like to do is have the power off sequence check to see if the camera recording is still on. And if so, stop recording before the power down cycle is initiated. I would also have liked the chance to view the code to fix a problem that DJI says they cannot replicate. And that problem is where my android keeps flipping back to the menu screen for no apparent reason. Not sure how many others have the issue, but it has been reported by some in this forum. I sent a request to their support team and they have done **** with it.

Mopar Bob said:
Thanks for that info. So I guess you can't use the SDK to peruse the code to work around some of the bugs and limitations that DJI has incorporated in their code. For instance, what I would like to do is have the power off sequence check to see if the camera recording is still on. And if so, stop recording before the power down cycle is initiated. I would also have liked the chance to view the code to fix a problem that DJI says they cannot replicate. And that problem is where my android keeps flipping back to the menu screen for no apparent reason. Not sure how many others have the issue, but it has been reported by some in this forum. I sent a request to their support team and they have done **** with it.

I wouldn't draw that conclusion from my post. I only said that the SDK figuratively provides a black box(not to be mixed up with the term used for flight recorders on airplanes) solution to commanding the phantom
315px-Blackbox.svg.png

You don't know and can't see how the black box operates, but you know if you give certain input(command) that you will get a certain output(response from the phantom). You can use DJI's SDK "black box" inside your developement environement with practically any language. That would be the conclusion ;)

So DJI provides it as building blocks to create your own app from zero. Now whether they have provided a source code of their VISION app as an example for developers, that I don't know, since I did not apply for the SDK, yet. But I seriously doubt it. I see their effort to offer the SDK as means to offer developers a way to create new specialized applications, for specific purpose only. Not as a method to fix their existing general purpose flying app(DJI VISION)

I would love if flyNfrank would chip in on this. Since he kinda did mention it in his first post, that he has the "app opened up" which would indiciate maybe that VISION app was given as a source code example. However I have serious doubts whether he actually has any clue what he is looking at. But I would like to be proven wrong about that opinion, since I would like nothing more than to have here someone knowledgable that has full access to the SDK and who is also willing to answer few questions.

My informations are based only on what is available to public and from my general experience as a software developer.

You also must understand that the SDK does not provide access to modify the behavior of Phantom firmware. And I suspect that your wish to stop recording when powering the phantom off is on that level. Although they could have implemented some power off internal notification which could then leave a posibility to pause the shutdown procedure while some tasks execute. Based on my experience and a hunch I would say they did not bother doing it.

Nice,
I followed your thread with mods of the existing app and really liked what you accomplished.
I have not tried it as of now but when you have the first one out in app-store I will guaranteed buy it. (as I am sure of just one of many here)

-Tomas

tomas99 said:
Nice,
I followed your thread with mods of the existing app and really liked what you accomplished.
I have not tried it as of now but when you have the first one out in app-store I will guaranteed buy it. (as I am sure of just one of many here)

-Tomas

Are you talking about this guy:
file.php
ilovecoffee

And this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25244

flyNfrank said:
erikgraham said:
What is the SDK for? I assumed it covered more than just camera input. I guess I'll have to google it and find out...

Short for software development kit, a programming package that enables a programmer to develop applications for a specific platform.

LOL. I know what an SDK is. That wasn't the question.
I've been away from this thread for a few days, so I'll have to catch up and do a little research on my own. What I want to know is what the SDK covers. I've got to believe it gives you access to more than just camera input.

To answer my own question...

At first glance, the SDK appears to be targeted at mobile platforms only (iOS/Android), which is too bad.

To add a point of interest feature (circle around while keeping camera focused on POI) looks like it requires Level 2.

Level 1, which is free, supports the following features: Video, Camera, Flight Controller, Gimbal, Battery, Range Extender, Secure Wi-Fi Transmission. The fact that it supports the flight controller does suggest a clever developer might be able to come up with a creative way to support POI, but it's not clear.

Level 2, which is NOT free, supports: Ground Station and Joystick Control.

So that really does imply that a level 2 developer could indeed implement POI features.

The real question is how much Level 2 costs.

cmon man dont you read the threads you are posting on??

the OP in is first post says he just got Level 1 and Level 2...

its just a matter of time until great stuff starts coming out.

Nathan Carter said:
tomas99 said:
Nice,

-Tomas

Are you talking about this guy:
file.php
ilovecoffee

And this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25244
:oops:
You are of course right, my bad.
But I hope for all the best in your development quest and I will be ready to invest in the result of it. (if made public in the future)

-Tomas

Am I wrong, but soo many posts seem to spark insult. :lol: ... I am happy you both got level 1 & 2.... Pattern GS searches would be great, might not be too hard to do as DJI made it part of their intro to the package....

@RCF-Drone - This was one of the first things I wanted to look into also as I have been using the P2V+ in our Search and rescue training and been having to plot patterns manually up to maximum waypoints allowed in the GS app as it is today.

dataway said:
I also received my Level 1&2 licensing today, I develop for both IOS and Android, I can't wait to get some time to jump into this ...
@dataway,
Can you please elaborate on what is included?
Is there a sample app? If yes, in what programming language?
What development environment will you use on iOS, and what do you recommended?

@Foosy,

Sure I will post on this thread what is incorporated in the SDK for IOS developers as soon as I get a chance to go through it. Tomorrow is my last day at work before vacation so I will have a week to go through it and will post my findings here.

Nathan Carter said:
However I have serious doubts whether he actually has any clue what he is looking at.

You are correct, I'm clueless. I have no idea what I'm looking at Nathan which is why I won't have anything else to add on this thread. The thread has out grown any knowledge I may have had either now or later. So I'm going to turn it over to you Nathan and let you do what it is you do. Btw, dataway looks to possibly be some good help as well.

And for anyone that may have expectations of anyone who has any level access should go apply and get access for yourself. Seriously. The more people that are playing around with this, the better. This is what DJI had in mind when they decided to open it up. Even if you are like me and clueless and don't know what you are looking at, you can at least look at it and maybe get a little familiar with parts of it. You will need a program called Eclipse which is free.

Also, I was never approached about money for level 2. I did get the impression that if a person was going to use the GS in a certain manner, then money would be part of it. I don't remember the exact wording they used but they said something about building a app from this and putting it up for others to pay, then they wanted their monies from it as well.

Oh...before you sign up.....if you have any interest in getting level two, you really do need come up with something that has to do with that level. Otherwise they will say you can do what you are requesting to do with level 1 access. I can try and help if you need it.

flyNfrank said:
You are correct, I'm clueless. I have no idea what I'm looking at Nathan which is why I won't have anything else to add on this thread. The thread has out grown any knowledge I may have had either now or later. So I'm going to turn it over to you Nathan and let you do what it is you do. Btw, dataway looks to possibly be some good help as well.

flyNfrank I aplogize to you. I was a bit arrogant and I did verbally attack you, but that was just me giving you a bit of your own medicine, so to say, because I didn't like the elitism and I don't like when someone speaks so certain about something even if he does not know the subject. However I see that you are an OK guy and that you mean things well at the end, so I wish that we bury our hatchets and continue contributing to this group in a friendly manner. Again, from my side, accept an apology!

That being said, I applied for the SDK and got access. There is no source code of the existing VISION app there. So anyone wishing to just poke around and tweak. Tough luck. You have to do it from scratch!
Level 1 is basically for eveything that includes just passively monitoring the bird state(camera, telemetry)
Level 2 is for anything releated to autonomous flight(think ground station stuff) and is considerably more complicated to get and later to publish. You have to send identification documents to DJI, you have to make proposals and exactly describe what you are doing and later when you finish you have to get a review and aproval of your app from DJI and again negotiate(send another proposal) the terms of selling the app. They have to aprove the number of people/downloads you are expecting, because each application you develop using the SDK either with Level 1 or Level 2 will have an authorization mechanism at the app launch. So each user that will use your app will have to login/register before he can use it(much like it is with their VISION app now), so each app will actually connect to DJI servers at the beginning and DJI will have complete control and insight about who is using your app.

I guess they had to do it like that to comply with regulations. :-/

I accept your apology Nathan and thanks for seeing the down side to what was going on. I'll admit it can be real easy to take something I say the wrong way. And also it's not that I don't know something as much as I haven't had the time to get involved like I need to. Anyway, hopefully we can get something with this sdk put together that will benefit us and get our quads better all around.

flyNfrank said:
I accept your apology Nathan and thanks for seeing the down side to what was going on. I'll admit it can be real easy to take something I say the wrong way. And also it's not that I don't know something as much as I haven't had the time to get involved like I need to. Anyway, hopefully we can get something with this sdk put together that will benefit us and get our quads better all around.

I guess I have to get used to the way you think :D so one more aplogy for any misunderstanding from my side. And I agree with you let's make it better! :ugeek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31