Video TX/RX and HDMI input/output

Reaction score
this is a little off topic, but what I trying to do is set up one of my 5.8 video transmitters with an HDMI input. In other words, I'd like to be able to plug the TX into the HDMI output on the GoPro or any other camera with an HDMI output.

Any thoughts?

Eric

What are you trying to do? A magic trick ?
You need more than just a simple set of plugs between two devices to make it work.
Unless the transmitter has HDMI capability then you can't do it.

Just what are you attempting to accomplish by doing this?

You will need a Light Bridge or other digital system for this.

Analogue standard definition fits within an 8MHZ channel, while HD from an HDMI output can just about be quickly compressed into a 40MHZ channel!

You would need some serious hardware to compress HD into an 8MHz channel and I doubt it could be done in anything like real time. You TX and RX would also need to be able to send data, not analogue video, which is a totally different type of signal.

Save your pennies for a digital system - about $1400 or so...

I want to get wireless video out of my 5D on the cheap. The 5D has an HDMI output. I want to get that signal into one of our little 5.8ghz transmitters.

And this is exactly why I ask, because I know it's not as simple a couple of adaptor plugs

Eric

Suwaneeguy said:
What are you trying to do? A magic trick ?
You need more than just a simple set of plugs between two devices to make it work.
Unless the transmitter has HDMI capability then you can't do it.

Just what are you attempting to accomplish by doing this?

I don't need an HD signal, It will be for reference video only, so an SD signal is OK

Eric

noiseboy72 said:
You will need a Light Bridge or other digital system for this.

Analogue standard definition fits within an 8MHZ channel, while HD from an HDMI output can just about be quickly compressed into a 40MHZ channel!

You would need some serious hardware to compress HD into an 8MHz channel and I doubt it could be done in anything like real time. You TX and RX would also need to be able to send data, not analogue video, which is a totally different type of signal.

Save your pennies for a digital system - about $1400 or so...

DJI sells the parts (~$100) to do it with some of the cameras used in their larger Zenmuse gimbals, but there's not one for the 5D, and even the ones they do make are problematic.

I assume you have a 5D w/o the composite output?

I think it is only the Mk1 that does not have composite output?
Otherwise the standard composite output lead should do the job. I would just cut off the end and make it off to the transmitter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl