Video lag solution

Reaction score
After experiencing intermittent video lag from 2 to 6 seconds on my phantom 3 advanced, I finally read on the DJI forum that some flyers had resolved the lag issues by simply unhooking and reattaching the two wire harnesses connecting the gimbal to the aircraft. I just tried this fix and much to my amazement I now have NO lag what so-ever.
I am in Canada and it was only about 14'C here today so heat in the gimbal didn't seem like a probable cause for the lag. Give it a try it may work for you too!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It worked for me. It's kinda weird that it would work but after emailing with DJI support and them wanting me to send it in, I gave it a try and now the lag is NOT a problem. It seems strange that people didn't have this problem until the latest firmware upgrade. Now I'm thinking I won't be doing anymore upgrades anytime soon!

yep, i also found this solution to be working twice ... i think its dust building up on those connectors, when u remove and re-attach it cleans

Just curious when you tried this fix. I see that a lot of p3a owners are installing cooling pads, but to do that they have to unhook the two cables first. I wonder if they had of just reconnected the cables would it have worked anyway, without the pads. I was thinking of going the cooling pad route but tried the simple fix and it worked.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just unhooked the 2 cables and reconnected them. I did this about a month ago. I didn't add the cooling pads or anything. My P3A is working fine now without problems. It works with the DJI Go App, the Litchi App, and the DroneDeploy app without any noticeable video lag or weak video transmission signal.

New P3P owner here. I'm using 2.8.0 on my Nexus 7 (2013), and it's almost unusable. But I'm also running Android 6. I think I'm going to downgrade my tablet to Android 5 to see if that helps.

Coincidentally, I tried using my iPhone 6+ (with Go 3.0.1) and it worked flawlessly. Frustrating, as I'd obviously like to use the larger, brighter screen of the Nexus 7 2013.

Just curious when you tried this fix. I see that a lot of p3a owners are installing cooling pads, but to do that they have to unhook the two cables first. I wonder if they had of just reconnected the cables would it have worked anyway, without the pads. I was thinking of going the cooling pad route but tried the simple fix and it worked.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Kinda late for this post, but to answer your question, yes because you have to take the gimbal off the AC and open up the gimbal to put the cooling pads in. Hope that at least answers your question.

New P3P owner here. I'm using 2.8.0 on my Nexus 7 (2013), and it's almost unusable. But I'm also running Android 6. I think I'm going to downgrade my tablet to Android 5 to see if that helps.

Coincidentally, I tried using my iPhone 6+ (with Go 3.0.1) and it worked flawlessly. Frustrating, as I'd obviously like to use the larger, brighter screen of the Nexus 7 2013.
That's interesting.
I'm waiting for my Android phone to come back from repair, when it arrives I'll check it with Andoid 6 and Go v2.8 and 3.0.1 (I'm not going to alter my Nexus setup at the moment, because at least it's working).
I was talking to the people I bought my P4 from today - they said that DJI have had problems with Go v3, but thought mostly with Samsung tablets.

That's interesting.
I'm waiting for my Android phone to come back from repair, when it arrives I'll check it with Andoid 6 and Go v2.8 and 3.0.1 (I'm not going to alter my Nexus setup at the moment, because at least it's working).
I was talking to the people I bought my P4 from today - they said that DJI have had problems with Go v3, but thought mostly with Samsung tablets.

I just got a Nvidia K1 and it has pretty bad lag running 6.01. I have re-installed just recently to the Go app 2.8.3 and that didn't help either. I'm back to 3.01 now. Nothing helps. I will next probably go back to Android 5.1.1 and see if that helps. Good luck to you.

After experiencing intermittent video lag from 2 to 6 seconds on my phantom 3 advanced, I finally read on the DJI forum that some flyers had resolved the lag issues by simply unhooking and reattaching the two wire harnesses connecting the gimbal to the aircraft. I just tried this fix and much to my amazement I now have NO lag what so-ever.
I am in Canada and it was only about 14'C here today so heat in the gimbal didn't seem like a probable cause for the lag. Give it a try it may work for you too!

Have the same issue after upgrade p3P. Did you reconnect the cables with the camera/P3 turned on? Seems strange. could be resetting video feed addresses that the software upgrade forgot to do?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Sorry to bring up an old thread. But are the 2 gimbal connections inside the shell of the P3A, or are they on the gimbal? I have never taken the shell off my Phantom, but I can if need be...

You can remove the gimbal without opening your Phantom if that's what you're asking.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the fast reply! I ask because I have the same Lag issue that this thread is based on. SO I am going to try to unhook and reattach the two wire harnesses connecting the gimbal to the aircraft. Hopefully it fixes my issue too.

Im glad those connections are on the gimbal side, it should make it a much easier job.

Ah, yes, you can reconnect it without opening your Phantom.

One of those cables connects to the Vision module so you don't have to open the shell to completely remove that cable if for some reason you wanted to.

For me, in addition to the video lag, there's a considerably delayed response time when I hit record/pause on the RC. It takes a good 5-7 seconds before I hear the 'ding' and the clock begins. I find myself having to hover for a long while when I want to pause recording to take a photo then begin recording again. Is this related? Is it caused by the same issues causing the video lag? There's still a delayed response when I hit record/pause on the screen, though not as much.

I've disconnected and reconnected the gimbal harnesses and I'll see if that made an improvement when I fly again tomorrow.

I had a similar problem, however, it was when using Litchi. It would take a long time to load a mission if at all. I was using a Samsung tablet that didn't have enough memory and a slower CPU. I upgraded to the Nvidia Shield K1. The first time I used it, It loaded a mission very quickly, and after the first mission completed, it would load the next mission without issue. The problem was the low power of my Samsung tablet. You might want to compare the power of your tablet or phone or whatever you are using. Hope this helps.

I got the lag problem again on Monday. I removed and reinstalled the gimbal and all is well now. This is the second time Ive had to do this, but both times the results were great.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic