Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Hello Tobrouk...

Just a couple questions...

Did your Phantom 1.1.1 com with the NAZA v2...? Mine came with the red NAZA M...

Where did you stick your Flytrex Core 2?

Very neat job... I still need to swap my Upgrade Board for the P2 Board (which is sitting on my workbench)...

I just switched out my GLB Gimbal for a DYS Smart Gimbal... Hopefully I'll be setting it up for 360 degree view since I also upgraded my P1.5 with RETRACTS...

Just waiting on a new FrSky X8R receiver to upgrade from the X4R Receiver I had in there already.

Since my P1.5 is apart, I was thinking of doing the P2 Board Upgrade tonight... Might as well...

I hope I can get in the air soon... Weather has been brutal all winter... I'm not a cold weather person at all...

We would like to see some video action of your P1.5, when you get a chance...

Good Luck...

The P2 board sure does seem to clean some things up inside!! Don't think I will be making that upgrade unless I decide I absolutely can't live without the iOSD. I have everything else in mine that I need. Well, let me just say as long as I can DIRECTLY replaced the H3-2D with the H3-3D as was stated earlier. I really need to know that 100% so I can sell my H3-2D to help fund the purchase of the H3-3D!! I don't want to sell the Zenmuse I have and then find out I need to do something else after I get the H3-3D!!

I am considering where to place my LED indicator light. Dewey's conversion put it on the front but I don't want the light to interfere with the video. I am considering attaching it straight out the bottom of the P2 shell. The photos show where I'm thinking of putting it. This isn't quite as simple as drilling a hole.

First, the height of this is .150" to the top of the lip of the micro-USB port. the height of the rib is .125". I can file down the "lip" on top of the micro-USB port. I would also need to strip down all the insulation and "plug head" from the USB cable to make it all thin enough to fit under the lipo!

I will also need to cut "troughs" through some of the ribs in order to run the cabling out similar to the orientation you see here.This would only take a little work with the dremel.

Even if the USB cable is "slightly" proud of the .125" tall rib I bet I could actually clear the battery cage by sanding a slight trough in the center (of course, I would have to do this on every battery, lol). This puts the LED in a very conspicuous location and still behind the camera so it shouldn't bleed onto the video.

IMG_20150222_144805512.jpg

IMG_20150222_144725983.jpg

I appreciate any input, guys! thanks!

MultiBrew said:
I am considering where to place my LED indicator light. The photos show where I'm thinking of putting it. This isn't quite as simple as drilling a hole.
NO, NO, NO... Don't do all that work and ruin the P2 Shell...

Get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Naza-M-...826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a36236572

Then get one of these: http://www.shapeways.com/product/3D...led-hol?li=search-results-2&optionId=17339447

There are so many other options... Read further back in this thread to see what others have done... The Dewey idea to place it in front was when he first made the video. NAZA LED ideas have come a long way since then... There are other options for the original DJI NAZA LED on the Shapeway Web-Site, also... Take a look through these pages and make it easy for yourself:

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=dji+battery+door&s=0#more-products

My intent is to run the P2 lipo. With that I don't need the door. One lipo and one door costs nearly the same as a single P2 lipo. Plus after having my XT60 connection break I like the idea of the "plug n go" of the P2 even if I don't get the benefit of the smart battery. I "may" do the XT60 piggyback as Dewey did but he stated he almost exclusively uses the P2 lipos now. I can also 3D print my own door.

Even Dewey had to drill into the shell to mount the original LED. Yes, I also have considered going with the add-on LED. Should be easy enough to double-side tape onto the bottom of the shell. I will have to read back on how to connect the Naza V2 LED and still have the USB port for updates (edit: I forgot the USB port is in the LED module). My intent was to use the P2 USB connector in the stock P2 location. Crap, now that I say that I realize I forgot to order one, lol!

PJA said:
Hello Tobrouk...

Just a couple questions...

Did your Phantom 1.1.1 com with the NAZA v2...? Mine came with the red NAZA M...

Where did you stick your Flytrex Core 2?

Good Luck...

Hello PJA!
Thanks for your message and questions! P2 board is the way to go for a clean install... do it!

About your first question... Yes my DJI Phantom 1.1.1 came with the NAZA V2 (bought in october 2013). I think there was another version out there just before the 1.1.1. I can remember that there was a lot of questions about that in the forums...

Your second question... The Flytrex Core 2 is mounted on the front right leg with double sided tape. Look closly at the previous picture (the view from the back). It's so small... fits perfectly there...

No footage with P1.5 yet but have a look on my Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 9g5NN3P9p1

@Multibrew: Just one thought... for the price of one P2 lipo you can get 5 Multistar 3S 5200mAh batteries. If you load the latest firmware on your upgrade board the Zenmuse H3-3D WILL WORK! Check this: http://youtu.be/6U6You6xo08

If you have more questions... I'm here!

Cheers!

Tobrouk

Tobrouk said:
The Flytrex Core 2 is mounted on the front right leg with double sided tape. Look closly at the previous picture (the view from the back). It's so small... fits perfectly there...
Here's were mine is located... in the little slot inside the door cover... Neat and out of the way...

16620585331_0d340d52eb_z.jpg

The mod is found around page 39 of this thread... Someone else did it on this web site and I replicated the mod for this thread... The mod was for the Flytrex Core 1 (Core 2 wasn't available when we did this mod). But since then, I added the Flytrex Core 2...

I like the P1 Video... Nice and smooth with the H3-3D...

Really great to see this continuing guys.

I think the way the LED mount/mount position really has now come down to a person choice. As PJA suggested there are so many options it depends on your needs and what you want from it. Personally I first found the USB location the key 'need' from the LED but then the CAN-BUS mod opened up the BTU as an option and given the DJI are no longer updating pre-P2 NAZA's then once you've flashed the firmware to the latest it isn't really as needed as before. Likewise if you use iOSD a lot then you don't really even need the light emitted so some have got away with having it internally mounted.

3D printer arrived today.... finally able to do my own prototyping! Shapeways store should be filling a little over the next few months :mrgreen:

Dewey, are you able to get the lipo to indicate on the iOSD? I didn't know that was possible with the Phantom 1.1.1 but I'm still learning here. Unless you are saying that the upgrade board allows this? Wow, so many choices now, lol!!

MultiBrew said:
Dewey, are you able to get the lipo to indicate on the iOSD? I didn't know that was possible with the Phantom 1.1.1 but I'm still learning here. Unless you are saying that the upgrade board allows this? Wow, so many choices now, lol!!

Yep iOSD has a battery indicator. You set the low voltage protection levels in the NAZA assistant as per normal and when first level protection hits the battery voltage indicator on the iOSD flashes to coincide with the red flashing lights. Be aware though that from my experiance the P2 battery and modern low C rated lipos can make this happen quite a lot but after a few flights you'll know what to believe and how long you can safely fly.

If you don't mind doing a bit of electrics wiring then there are better OSD's out there. Nothing as 'plug and play' as iOSD at all but one that shows battery MAH used is really handy (eZOSD for example). Personally i still use iOSD on the Phantom but I leave the low voltage protection off and go by a timer on my radio TX. With the P2 batts I fly until the last light is flashing and have had no issue so far.

Tobrouk said:
@Multibrew: Just one thought... for the price of one P2 lipo you can get 5 Multistar 3S 5200mAh batteries. If you load the latest firmware on your upgrade board the Zenmuse H3-3D WILL WORK! Check this: http://youtu.be/6U6You6xo08

Tobrouk

I know Dewey said he rarely uses anything but the P2's now. However, can the 5200mah lipos fit without any further modification to the shell? I am definitely adding the P2 lipo internal connector. I know two 2200mah lipos will still fit in there even with the P2 connecter mounted. But then the Y-adapter is necessary. Does the 5200mah fit if the P2 internal connector is mounted?

If that's the case I'll piggyback the XT60 on the backside of the P2 connector like Dewey did. However, I don't see myself buying anymore 2200mah lipos and the two I have are only good for running the FPV Rx and monitor.

MultiBrew said:
Does the 5200mah fit if the P2 internal connector is mounted?

If that's the case I'll piggyback the XT60 on the backside of the P2 connector like Dewey did. However, I don't see myself buying anymore 2200mah lipos and the two I have are only good for running the FPV Rx and monitor.

Hello MultiBrew!!
The the Multistar 3S 5200mAh is fitting 100% without modifications in the P2 shell, even with the P2 battery connector because the connector stays outside the rail like you can see on the picture!

Cheers!!

Attachments

• 20150226_190422.jpg
    20150226_190422.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 633

Anyone have a link to that 5200mah lipo? What kind of flight times are you getting with that and what is your setup?

MultiBrew said:
Anyone have a link to that 5200mah lipo? What kind of flight times are you getting with that and what is your setup?

Here you go
http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewpro ... ntcat=1387

I get about 19 min till auto landing auw is 1313gramms
check my post page 116!

Well guys... I went from the P1 Board last year, to the upgrade board last summer, and this weekend I add the P2 Circuit Board to my Phantom 1.5... I also upgraded from a FrSky X4R to a FrSky X8R Receiver... It's been a long year of added and redoing since we started this thread... I think I'm going to be very happy with the P2 Board results...

16472938017_b3248dcae5_c.jpg

The X8R receiver is set up for use of 16 channels by using the S-Bus connection. I added RETRACTS to my Phantom and I wanted some switching control of LED lights... So far everything works... Waiting on the Can-Bus Port I recently ordered. Then I will calibrate everything through the NAZA Assistant and take it for a test flight... Possible next weekend... Weather seems to be looking better around here toward the end of the week... I hate Cold Weather!

I haven't flown since mid November... Can't wait to get the new 2015 Version of my Phantom 1.5 in the air...

Here is a flight from last summer after I swapped for the upgrade board (Sorry about the shaking - My GLB Gimbal was on it's last leg - too many crashes)...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWGHBApwVLA[/youtube]

I picked up some automotive wire to run the p2 connector and the xt60 to the board but the wire I have is much stiffer than the factory dji wiring. The dji stuff is very pliable. Which gauge and type of wire did you guys use? I have 14 ga. which I believe is correct.

I think this would be OK to run from the internal P2 connector to the main board but not pliable enough to use for the xt60 connector. Yes, just to be clear, I am running both connectors! :D

MultiBrew said:
I picked up some automotive wire to run the p2 connector and the xt60 to the board but the wire I have is much stiffer than the factory dji wiring. The dji stuff is very pliable. Which gauge and type of wire did you guys use? I have 14 ga. which I believe is correct.

I think this would be OK to run from the internal P2 connector to the main board but not pliable enough to use for the xt60 connector. Yes, just to be clear, I am running both connectors! :D

16AWG Silicone coated wire is what I use for 3s battery wiring unless I am wiring something that will be drawing massive current (which the Phantom does not). Silicone coated wire is a dream to work with over automotive wire and much better for soldering as it has such a high melting point. Hobbyking or ebay is the best place and it is really good value too on both places.

DeweyAXD said:
MultiBrew said:

16AWG Silicone coated wire is what I use for 3s battery wiring unless I am wiring something that will be drawing massive current (which the Phantom does not). Silicone coated wire is a dream to work with over automotive wire and much better for soldering as it has such a high melting point. Hobbyking or ebay is the best place and it is really good value too on both places.

Thanks Dewey, I ordered some from HobbyKing!! They sell it in 1m lengths which makes it nice one is not obligated to buy way more length than they need.

Ordered that and one 5200mah lipo!! Can't wait to finish this build, it's been sitting in limbo for three weeks now. ugh!!

DeweyAXD said:
MultiBrew said:

Yep iOSD has a battery indicator. You set the low voltage protection levels in the NAZA assistant as per normal and when first level protection hits the battery voltage indicator on the iOSD flashes to coincide with the red flashing lights. Be aware though that from my experiance the P2 battery and modern low C rated lipos can make this happen quite a lot but after a few flights you'll know what to believe and how long you can safely fly.

If you don't mind doing a bit of electrics wiring then there are better OSD's out there. Nothing as 'plug and play' as iOSD at all but one that shows battery MAH used is really handy (eZOSD for example). Personally i still use iOSD on the Phantom but I leave the low voltage protection off and go by a timer on my radio TX. With the P2 batts I fly until the last light is flashing and have had no issue so far.

So it does not display the percentage of power left in the lipo, but the OSD will flash. Do I understand that correctly? That's a good indicator. I do understand what you mean about the red light flashing prematurely if the quad is being pushed for speed or power.

It was suggested that using the upgrade board and latest firmware that I could use the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal. I am going to reassemble with the H3-2D for now but my next upgrade will be the H3-3D and I would like more information on which way to go. This is much more important to me than iOSD so w/o mounting an iOSD I shouldn't need a canbus addition.

1) Can I run an h3-3d on the standard 1.1.1 board?
2) If not, do I need to upgrade the board
3) If so, can I upgrade to the P2 board w/o adding the leg mounted canbus (or add later for the iOSD)?

I can edit the yaw drift or jerkiness from the video in post but it sure would be nice to not have to do that!! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94