Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

PJA said:
Would these levels be OK for my P2 Battery and my 2700 single Maddogs in my P1.5 Conversion Phantom?

If that's the case, I have no idea how any of these values changed in the last month or two... I never touched the default settings...

The difference between 10.7 and 10.6 for Level 1 isn't huge, it's like a minute (which is great for going from 11m to 12m but doesn't solve the 5m warning issue)...

That said, 10.6 is what I still use on the Maddogs. It's fine as long as you can guarantee you're home before it hits 10.6, and land immediately when it does. Maddogs flow very freely, meaning they don't hit 10.6 until longer, but once they're there, you don't have much time before they drop to 10.5, then 10.4, etc.

Not having a P2 battery, I can't say if 10.6v is also a good voltage for that...most P2 flyers use the SMB current counter rather than voltage. However, assuming it's a 10C or 15C pack, that should be safe as a loaded voltage, because it is probably sagging more under load, the effect being that you hit 10.6v before the battery is actually 20% depleted.

OI Photography said:
PJ, I'll soon be testing some other 2700-2800mAh batt options to see if I can find some that are worth it and also fit in to the P1 bay when paired. I didn't have the maxamps model you linked on my list, but if I can spare the price when I get around to testing I'll try to include it.

Wow! I appreciate it OI... I didn't know you were into this project with pairing some batteries for our P1.5 Quads...

I think I have some other issues with my P1.5... Either that, or my batteries are all shot... My P2 battery, and two Maddogs are all giving me only around 5 minutes of flight time before the red LED and auto land take over. I have no idea why. But my P1.5 flys GREAT for those short 5 minutes...

Maybe I abuse my Batts too much. In the last few months I have charged them for flying but either something came up or weather (wind, rain, cold) got in the way for days, sometimes weeks. So when I did get a chance to fly I topped off the batteries and took flight. Something I know you're not supposed to do...

ELGuano seems to give great advice... He knows his ****... but after looking over my voltage level readings, I think they're OK. I never changed or adjusted them since I bought my Phantom...

I have two Turnigy 2.2 Batteries, brand new, I bought last November. I never used them, never charged them... I wonder if they are still good. I might charge them later this week and pair them in the P1.5, (I know they'll fit), and see if I can get more than 5 minutes out of them. My P1.5 weighs 1380grams so if these Batts are good I would expect at least 8 solid minutes out of them...

Let me know of your progress with your battery testing results, OI... Let me know if I can help you out in any way...

Even if you stored your battery fully charged, in 85 degree heat for the last 6 months, it's unlikely you'd get a 50% reduction in flight time on all of them within that time. Can your charger measure the IR of the batteries? That will give you a really good idea of their actual health and discharge capability. If you can't get that, the next best thing is to see (via BTU, iOSD or low voltage buzzer) what your voltage drop is during hover. If you were seeing a 0.5v drop when the batteries are new, but now they're dropping 1+v, that's also a sign the batteries are going bad.

Definitely test the new 2.2s. They should be a good benchmark against your existing bats!

El G's advise is spot on - On my P1.5s -Fully loaded one gets 12mins on stock P1.5 batt, other without gimbal gets 17+ mins on stock P2 battery. Battery levels are set at 1st warning 10.6, snd at 10.4 (those are equivilent of P2s 30%/15%)

Hi All,

I've had my P1.1.1 for 5 months now, and a few months ago stumbled upon this thread and all the amazing mods Dewey has been sharing. Although I'm very new 'in the phantom world' I never just skim the surface of a new hobby, I immediately knew this is a mod I wanted to try, and spent the last few months absorbing all the knowledge I could from forum threads, videos, anything I could get my hands on. I must admit I am SO hooked on this it feels like being a 13 year old kid again - I spend an ungodly amount of time reading about everything phantom :)

So! Finally all the parts I've ordered have arrived, and I'm ready to start this conversion project. I have the following:

My Current bird:
  • Phantom 1.1.1 with Upgrade Board
    Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
    GoPro Hero 3+ Black
    iRC 250mw vtx with Fatshark Spironet Antenna.

Parts I've ordered:
  • Phantom 2 Replacement Shell
    Phantom 2 IPC
    iOSD Mini
    iRC 600mw vtx
    Phantom 2 stock props
    Dewey shapeways P2 battery door

I'd like to mention I am also going to *attempt* the Sarawuth CANbus port mod as per Dewey's instructions - I'll admit this is the part I'm most nervous about. I feel like I have a good sense of the conversion process, and part that I need. However this is where I feel I could use some assistance:

• - What would you all suggest as a good soldering iron? From what I gather something with a fine tip is the most ideal for these small solder jobs the Sarawuth mod needs. (any recommended wattage?)

- It would seem i will need some extra cabling, (the power cable style used to connect the xt60 plug to the IPC, and the random wiring needed for extending the LED, and iOSD stuff. What would you recommend for these? I have never purchased cable/wire so I wouldnt even know what to ask/look for in a shop.

- Any specific type of heat shrink?

- Anything else I'm missing that is just bits and pieces for the internal tinkering part?

Thanks everyone! Glad to be here and am excited for this project - Dewey your mods and videos are awesome, ElGuano you are like an encyclopedia of knowledge, and PJA it was heartbreaking reading the downing of your bird but awesome you got it all back together :D

Some pics cuz, well why not? messy work area and my P1 being bored on the ground.

3XULGMw.jpg

1Er3bnc.jpg

Cheers,

Hi andras, welcome! From the pics and your list it looks like you're pretty well suited to dive in to our favorite project here. The only thing I don't see there that you might find useful is this cable: http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter

It'll handle getting the video from your upgrade board to the iOSD mini and from there on to the Immersion Tx...which it will also provide power to. A very tidy solution when using the components you've chosen.

Good luck, and let us know if you run in to any roadbumps!

OI Photography said:
Hi andras, welcome! From the pics and your list it looks like you're pretty well suited to dive in to our favorite project here. The only thing I don't see there that you might find useful is this cable: http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter

WOW!, I could have used that cable instead of creating my own. When did you find this little gem, OI?

Welcome Andras...
Hope you enjoyed reading all the madness we have created on this thread. A lot of ideas create by a bunch of Phantom Pilot Engineers here... Any questions from wiring, to batteries, to soldering, to upgrades, to 3D printed parts, we hopefully have all the answers for you...

The hardest part for me was setting up the Canbus port. It works, just needed to created the said cable above. That was the hardest part for me. I used a very old 'radio shack special' soldering iron (from the 70's when I was in college - yes, it still works) with a brand new fine tip I got from Sears... Don't forget to scrape the parts as in the Sarawuth instructions. One tip I would mention is to put masking tape where you are going to solder around those fine points, so solder doesn't run or 'splash' onto other components as you work. I don't have the steadiest hand as I did in college :oops:

I've been working on my f550 last couple of weeks (added Zenmuse Gimbal - LED lights - iOSD - Flytrex), and might take both out for a flight in the next couple of days if this damp weather blows away...

Good Luck... Any questions, we're here to help...

OI Photography said:

It'll handle getting the video from your upgrade board to the iOSD mini and from there on to the Immersion Tx...which it will also provide power to. A very tidy solution when using the components you've chosen.

Good luck, and let us know if you run in to any roadbumps!

Just placed my order! Thanks for the tip - this is perfect. I'll let you all know how it goes, I'm predicting some questions when the Sarawuth mod part starts.

WOW!, I could have used that cable instead of creating my own. When did you find this little gem, OI?

Welcome Andras...
Hope you enjoyed reading all the madness we have created on this thread. A lot of ideas create by a bunch of Phantom Pilot Engineers here... Any questions from wiring, to batteries, to soldering, to upgrades, to 3D printed parts, we hopefully have all the answers for you...

The hardest part for me was setting up the Canbus port. It works, just needed to created the said cable above. That was the hardest part for me. I used a very old 'radio shack special' soldering iron (from the 70's when I was in college - yes, it still works) with a brand new fine tip I got from Sears... Don't forget to scrape the parts as in the Sarawuth instructions. One tip I would mention is to put masking tape where you are going to solder around those fine points, so solder doesn't run or 'splash' onto other components as you work. I don't have the steadiest hand as I did in college :oops:

I've been working on my f550 last couple of weeks (added Zenmuse Gimbal - LED lights - iOSD - Flytrex), and might take both out for a flight in the next couple of days if this damp weather blows away...

Good Luck... Any questions, we're here to help...

Thanks for the welcomes all, I enjoyed reading every single post - and you are correct, the wealth of knowledge on this forum and in the thread is truly astounding, what a great community.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely be using the masking tape suggestion to protect the surrounding area. I'll probably start the whole process next week for the body conversion, I'll keep you all informed.

Tell me how the flight goes! I got my Phantom in the middle of December and living in Canada it was far too snowy and cold to fly, I suffered for weeks watching it sit inside and I couldn't do a thing! Hopefully your damp weather goes away. I'd love to see a pic of the F550.

Alright - back to work. ;)

I haven't seen anybody do this yet, but could the Zenmuse H3-3D be connected to the Phantom 1 upgrade board?
(Just like the Zenmuse H3-2D can?)

Or would the current draw (over the Zenmuse H3-2D) demand the PMU to be used?

DeweyAXD said:
Make sure the USB (either) still works with the splice

I had a feeling that might be an issue Elguano (Ironically I think I say it on the video somewhere). Should have tested it before the heatshrinking process began! :roll: I'll try it later. I'm not overly fussed if I have to go back down to one LED as I will likely buy a second iOSD mini for the Phantom 1.5 anyway.

2 more weeks of awful weather predicted here.... when its not raining it is 20+ mph winds and when they drop it rains! I can see me making a KK2.1 based sealed up waterproof quad from my old P1 shell right now!! :D

Did you end up testing this?
What was the result, could the Naza still be connected and updated via the USB port on the LED after the splice?

DeweyAXD said:

Dewey, would you consider making/selling this one with the some adjustments?
- some sort of protection plate for the LED board so that it doesn't get slammed by the battery
- without the two holes for the XT60 connectors on the sides
- the option on Shapeways to buy this item in a "Polished Strong & Flexible Plastic" version

Squawk said:
I haven't seen anybody do this yet, but could the Zenmuse H3-3D be connected to the Phantom 1 upgrade board?
(Just like the Zenmuse H3-2D can?)

Or would the current draw (over the Zenmuse H3-2D) demand the PMU to be used?

H3-3D works fine on my 1.5 with the upgrade board :)

For all following the P1.5 adaptations - today flew my bare P1.5 on a Turnigy 5000mah 4S - hope you're sitting down -> 38:40 mins until 2nd battery warning. 13.2 / 12.8 warning levels (I know El G - pushing the lower voltage limits) - here's small clip and my apologies in advance of poor phone video (my hands were full) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1O4MMteqI

EMCSQUAR said:
For all following the P1.5 adaptations - today flew my bare P1.5 on a Turnigy 5000mah 4S - hope you're sitting down -> 38:40 mins until 2nd battery warning. 13.2 / 12.8 warning levels (I know El G - pushing the lower voltage limits) - here's small clip and my apologies in advance of poor phone video (my hands were full) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1O4MMteqI

Yeah, 3.2, I'll hold my tongue :) But 38 minutes, that probably qualifies as some record! You're just itching to break 40min now, aren't you? :)

ElGuano said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Yeah, 3.2, I'll hold my tongue :) But 38 minutes, that probably qualifies as some record! You're just itching to break 40min now, aren't you? :)

I don't know about 40mins... I'd have to have someone wake me up to land it. I still want to do a test fully loaded autonomous flight (gimbal etc...) I'm going to do a test w/2 5000mah 4S next - stay tuned.

EMCSQUAR said:
I don't know about 40mins... I'd have to have someone wake me up to land it. I still want to do a test fully loaded autonomous flight (gimbal etc...) I'm going to do a test w/2 5000mah 4S next - stay tuned.

Yikes, that might be pushing the phantom a bit far even with 4S :shock: I have a 5000mAh 4S Turnigy and it weighs in at 513g, so 2 would be well over 1kg just in battery weight. You might be able to get away with RMRC's 8000mAh 4S though, the one I just got is only 713g.

EMCSQUAR said:
- today flew my bare P1.5 on a Turnigy 5000mah 4S -
What do you need to do to convert to 4S?

I made an XT60 connector for battery and went into assistant -> advanced -> voltage - set to 4S and calibrate then set warning levels.

EMC, how much credit do you give (if any) to the E300 for this enviable flight time?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT