Video Editing/Produce(software)

Reaction score
Up until today, any video I shot with my P3S (MP4 format), edit and subsequently recreate appears fine when I view it on any 24 in monitor. Hard to tell the difference between the newly created video vs the original from the P3S.

Today, I decided I would load the recreated files into Plex and view them on my (58") big screen TV. The amount of flicker I was seeing in certain spot was quite annoying. My first thought were that this must be because of the props. I then loaded the original file and while it did display some flicker (at the same locations in the video) it was not quite as bad.

To edit/recreate the video I use PowerDirector 13. When I produce the newly edited video I select the following settings:
- H264 AVC
- Mp4 1920 X 1080/30p
or
- MKV 1920 X 1080/60p
In either case, the produced file is half or less the size than the original file.

My questions are:
- Are the above settings the ones I should use or should I use other options when creating the video?
- Is there a way to reduce this flicker?
- Are there better video editing options with cost similar to PD13?

Thanks in advance

I'm learning as we speak. I make no claim to any kind of expertise. Just trying to share what little I think I might know.

The higher the resolution and the higher the bit rate you use to save your newly edited video, the bigger the saved file will be, and bigger is better, at least generally speaking. I'm not going to get into whether resolution is more important than bit rate, because I don't know and don't understand these things, beyond knowing what looks good.

My Filmora video editing program that I bought 2 weeks ago lets me save my edited videos at a resolution of 3840 X 2160 with a bit rate as high as 80,000 mbps in either MOV or MP4 format. When I do this, the original file size remains at or extremely close to its original size. The encoder is H.264.

My free Windows Movie Maker, that I used exclusively for over 3 years, also uses H.264 to encode but it only allows me to save at a maximum resolution of 1920 X 1080. However, it allows a bit rate of up to 135,000 mbps. Saving an edited video with those maximum settings actually increases the file size by a tad.

Your question inspired me to check into those things. Until this morning, I'd never used save settings that high with either of the video editors named above. Now, though, I've saved copies of an existing video from my Phantom 3 Pro using the above settings. When I "cast" the new files to my big-screen TV, the viewing quality is astonishingly good, every bit as good as the original to my eyes.

In any case, if you can raise the resolution and/or the bit rate for your saved edited videos, you'll be able to produce a file which is close to the same size as the original file.

On a related note, my Filmora video editor can save in MPEG 2 format. I've found that to be a wonderful way to have smaller files that still look fabulous on my TV. I don't believe I can upload MPEG 2 to YouTube, but for my personal viewing, that format does a great job.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Works just fine.
1481472348237-1840291926.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic