Semi Professional Video Editing that won't Break the Bank

Reaction score
When I purchased my P4 nearly one ago, I had no idea that I had an interest in creating a video archive of memories with family and friends while enjoying this hobby, and to do this properly - in a way that others will enjoy watching - one needs to edit their videos.

Recently, I began researching methods to efficiently and easily edit my videos - including 4K - with a system that would cost no more than $1000.00. Up until then, my editing system was a 'vintage', ASUS gaming laptop running Windows 7 using Microsoft Movie Maker and a few other free or very cheap editing apps, but it took so much time to do so, I began losing interest, and, it couldn't even touch 4K.

So, off to the Apple Store I went. I purchased the latest 10.5" iPad Pro 256GB (WiFi), an Apple SD to Lightning card reader, and this great App that I found called LumaFusion. All together, this system came in at about $850.00. I realize this is still a bit of money, but compared to a $3500.00 iMac, it's a deal.

The latest iPad Pro speaks for itself really, and there are countless reviews on-line. Suffice it to say, when they promote the fact that it can edit 4K video, it can, and seemingly, without of a thought.

Regarding the Apple SD to Lightning card reader, don't make the same mistake that I did at first and get a third party option at your local electronics store. The one I got required a third party App in order to use it, and it was very buggy and non-intuitive. The Apple version simply plugs in and automatically opens the Photos/Videos folder and allows you to select what files you wish to import from the SD card.

I did a search here on the forum for 'LumaFusion', and although it was mentioned a few times casually, I am really surprised that it is not discussed a lot more. Right now, it is only available as an iOS App (at about $20.00), and after a bit of poking around to become familiar with its many features, I am finding it to be very amazing and capable. The creators knew what they were doing with this App, and I think that it could become one of the more 'Goto' App for 'On the Fly' video editing via iPhone / iPad very soon. This is a link to their YouTube tutorials to get an idea of what it can do: LumaFusion Tutorials - YouTube

Lastly, I must add that I the latest iPad Pro does not seem to recognize 4K video captured by the P4 in either .MP4 or .MOV. It will show the thumbnail of the file, but when you attempt to play it, it will say "File Format is Unsupported". No fear though. LumaFusion will gladly open the file for editing, and once it is how you want it, the version that you save via LumaFusion will be playable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl