VALLEY OF FIRE (WITH MOUNTAIN GOATS)

Nicely done.

Reactions: John Conrad
Where outside of the park did you take off? Looks great

Why mention outside of the park.. unless you are just trying to stir things up. FYI, Valley of Fire is a _STATE_ park in Nevada. By _STATE_ park I mean, not a _NATIONAL_ park, where drones are banned. State parks have no such blanket ban.

Now, if you want to know how much the Valley of Fire loves drones, I'd recommend taking a look at this website:
NAB April 16-22, 2016 - Valley of Fire UAV Showcase

Why mention outside of the park.. unless you are just trying to stir things up. FYI, Valley of Fire is a _STATE_ park in Nevada. By _STATE_ park I mean, not a _NATIONAL_ park, where drones are banned. State parks have no such blanket ban.

Now, if you want to know how much the Valley of Fire loves drones, I'd recommend taking a look at this website:
NAB April 16-22, 2016 - Valley of Fire UAV Showcase

I asked because as of last year you were NOT allowed to fly in the park (see thread link) I called and was told don't even try. I'm going out to Vegas in October and was wondering if they relaxed the rules............looks like they didn't

No Drones in state Park?

Just came upon this thread as I am planning to be in Vegas next month and - of course - want to film some awesome landscapes. Sadly, here's the official story:

Can I fly a drone?
Use of drones is prohibited in Nevada State Parks unless a commercial use permit is in effect and all applicable FAA regulations apply.

Nevada State Parks Frequently Asked Questions | State Parks

FYI, Valley of Fire is a _STATE_ park in Nevada. By _STATE_ park I mean, not a _NATIONAL_ park, where drones are banned. State parks have no such blanket ban.

Yes, and more importantly, No.

Yes, VoF is a state park. A great one at that, with fantastic scenery.

No, you are mistaken about drones in Nevada state parks. Drones ARE banned in all Nevada state parks unless a commercial use permit is obtained. VoF drone policy is announced by signage at both entrances.

So the question of where the op launched is very pertinent.

It is an awesome place but not for launching/landing a drone. The park rangers there can be pretty intolerant about deviations from park rules.

I film there fairly often, just not using a drone:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Yes, and more importantly, No.

Yes, VoF is a state park. A great one at that, with fantastic scenery.

No, you are mistaken about drones in Nevada state parks. Drones ARE banned in all Nevada state parks unless a commercial use permit is obtained. VoF drone policy is announced by signage at both entrances.

State parks have no blanket bans. I did not say VoF did not have a blanket ban.

But that does lead to an interesting situation I had a few days ago.

I went through VoF on my way to Hoover Dam and Lake Havasu. I saw online someone posted the "No Drone" sign at VoF. However, their website (nor the Visitor Center) had any restriction listed. I was _thinking_ about taking a chance and flying at the Fire Wave is no one was around but I did not have time for that hike. I exited VoF on the east side and was about 1/4 mile part that entrance gate house. I thought I'd pull over and fly real quick for a few shots. Took off, got some shots and was about 50' away from landing when a white truck pulled up. I hand caught the P4 and at that time, noticed a person wearing a bullet proof vest exit the truck. Turns out... a park ranger. He was very nice and pointed out no flying within the park. I mentioned that I was about 1/4 mile outside the entrance as I wanted to make sure I was outside of the park. He mentioned that the park boundary is not the entrance booth. I'm not sure anyone would easily know that. He took my info and came back. he said that it seemed that I tried to make sure I was outside the park and just gave me a warning. Really nice guy.

Left arrow is entrance building, middle is where I flew from and the right arrow turns out to the the park boundary according to Google Maps.

vof.JPG

Shot from my flight:

DJI_0005.JPG

State parks have no blanket bans.

Well, I guess if you mean that one can fly with a commercial use permit, then I'd agree with that statement. Without that, it's pretty clear that there is a blanket ban:
Nevada State Parks Frequently Asked Questions | State Parks

But, cool shots none-the-less. Perhaps the OP had a commercial use permit for that flight. I wonder how difficult of a process it is to get that from the state park.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers