VALLEY OF FIRE (WITH MOUNTAIN GOATS)

upload_2017-8-23_11-1-18.png

If you look at the map, it's about 7mi to drive through VoF. Theoretically you could launch a P4P from outside the park boundary, then drive through the park and control the craft from inside the car, from the passenger seat of course. Who would know? LOL. Yes, that's not exactly legal unless you flew it autonomously with Litchi. Technically I think that would be legal, am I wrong?

It would be best to launch after you get past the west park gate, driving East. That gate is actually OUTSIDE the official park boundaries. Then fly East during the golden hour, past the eastern boundary. Or, if you get there at daybreak, no rangers are around anyway until 8am, I think. You'd have an hour to fly, which is what I think the OP did to avoid conflict.

upload_2017-8-23_12-11-58.png

I certainly don't recommend doing this, but it's plausible to do, and it would be pretty safe IMO.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know which states actually permit hobby flight, that is, without a commercial permit. Not a single one within 10 states of me. Does anyone know? By the way, nice video, and great editing but if it was done against the rules/regulations, that's not the kind of juju the hobby/interest needs no matter how good the footage.

View attachment 87226

If you look at the map, it's about 7mi to drive through VoF. Theoretically you could launch a P4P from outside the park boundary, then drive through the park and control the craft from inside the car, from the passenger seat of course. Who would know? LOL. Yes, it's not exactly legal, but you're less likely to get caught, if you so desire to fly it.

It would be best to launch after you get past the west park gate, driving East. That gate is actually OUTSIDE the official park boundaries. Then fly East during the golden hour, past the eastern boundary. Or, if you get there at daybreak, no rangers are around anyway until 8am, I think. You'd have an hour to fly, which is what I think the OP did to avoid conflict.

I certainly don't recommend doing this, but it's plausible to do, and it would be pretty safe IMO.
That is a silly thing to say, why not just say, do what you want, who cares. NO< you cannot fly in a no fly zone by starting outside it, JEEZ. Local authorities have the right to make NO FLY ZONES, that is why you must always check local rules and regs.

That is a silly thing to say, why not just say, do what you want, who cares. NO< you cannot fly in a no fly zone by starting outside it, JEEZ. Local authorities have the right to make NO FLY ZONES, that is why you must always check local rules and regs.

Technically speaking, a state park isn't a "no fly zone". So one could definitely launch and land from outside the boundary, as the park technically doesn't own, or control the airspace above. This is however, just simply a way to skirt the wishes of the state/entity and sure doesn't do much to paint us in a good light.

Technically speaking, a state park isn't a "no fly zone". So one could definitely launch and land from outside the boundary, as the park technically doesn't own, or control the airspace above. This is however, just simply a way to skirt the wishes of the state/entity and sure doesn't do much to paint us in a good light.
The state can definitely regulate this, can you state law that explains how they cannot declare a no fly zone, if they deem it a safety issue?

The state can definitely regulate this, can you state law that explains how they cannot declare a no fly zone, if they deem it a safety issue?

The Park Service doesn't regulate Airspace. The FAA does. Can you show me on a sectional chart where this State Park is a "No Fly Zone"?

States Adopt Drone Usage Laws, Feds in Midst of Regulatory Process

September 2, 2015
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, the past two years have seen 26 states pass legislation concerning drones, as reported in Route Fifty. The laws range widely in their treatment of drones, from the mildly limiting to the extremely restrictive, the article describes.

Not arguing it, but I know the states have rights where it applies to their state parks, which the OP said they were in. Round here they are Park Rangers, not Park Cops but whatever.

Delaware -- DNREC Parks Enforcement reminds visitors that flying drones is restricted in Delaware State Parks

So if you launch an autonomous Litchi mission from outside the park, and retrieved it outside the park on the other side, how does everyone feel about that? Seems legal to me, since the State Park doesn't control the airspace. You can certainly fly a helicopter over VoF, it's not a NFZ for aircraft according to the sectional chart.

In Tennessee, I have been told BY A PARK RANGER that I can launch and land outside the park and fly over. Again, they can regulate what happens from within the grounds of the park, but they DO NOT and CANNOT regulate the airspace. That said, it still sint a good idea to use a loophole to skirt the rules in the grand scheme of things.

States Adopt Drone Usage Laws, Feds in Midst of Regulatory Process

September 2, 2015
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, the past two years have seen 26 states pass legislation concerning drones, as reported in Route Fifty. The laws range widely in their treatment of drones, from the mildly limiting to the extremely restrictive, the article describes.

Not arguing it, but I know the states have rights where it applies to their state parks, which the OP said they were in. Round here they are Park Rangers, not Park Cops but whatever.

Delaware -- DNREC Parks Enforcement reminds visitors that flying drones is restricted in Delaware State Parks

It's important to keep distinct the act of states attempting to regulate airspace (as opposed to the aircraft operations of takeoff and landing) with the question of whether they have the legal authority to do so. From a Federal perspective, only the FAA regulates airspace use. So, for example, while the National Park Service prohibits sUAS operations within their parks, they have explicitly noted that they do not control the airspace. The same applies to State Parks, whether the states in question like it or not.

The Delaware link that you provided is typical of the wording of these restrictions in that it doesn't even attempt to define whether it means operations or overflights. I think that's generally because they would like to deter both of those from happening, but they really only have legal authority, at least for now, over the first.

If the concern is specifically disturbing wildlife then a wildlife refuge can be put in place with its associated voluntary restrictions on overflights.

While it is possible to step over the rattlesnake, it is always best to walk around it, keep poking the rattlesnake and it will strike. Remember, laws are not only written, they are changed all the time. Just because something is legal, sort of, don't think that it can't change.
Once upon a time, people did not need a certificate to drive or fly, that was the law. Now you need a license or certificate, insurance and a number of other things, to do this. So, remember, raise enough problems, and the laws will change.

View attachment 87226

If you look at the map, it's about 7mi to drive through VoF. Theoretically you could launch a P4P from outside the park boundary, then drive through the park and control the craft from inside the car, from the passenger seat of course. Who would know? LOL. Yes, that's not exactly legal unless you flew it autonomously with Litchi. Technically I think that would be legal, am I wrong?

I have little doubt that you can't be on their lane and be controlling the drone either. This is how it's written for National Parks. Plus, a person is welcome to try. I have almost no doubt that you'd be cited anyway.You could then feel free to drive to Las Vegas at a future date and argue your case.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj