v1.10.90 update takes longer

Updated firmware and controller today DJI go was updated earlier in the week...I flew 3 batteries and no problems what so ever...I did all calibrations as required
Only thing I did notice was I use to get a few motor propulsion lowered warnings especially on my number 2 battery and none at all today..
Update was easy painless and around 15 mins...

Reactions: bobomet
Bit OT. Since I don't use Go and only load it when updating firmwares I noticed something different in current version. When flying minimap is focused on Home point rather then drone itself. Is that by design or there is an option for that?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

10 min update and flew with 2 batteries. No probs whatsoever....Should I update with all 5 of my batteries also or no battery update needed???

Last edited:
That version of the Go App doesn't use google maps for android anymore and the 1.8 controller update gave me horrible video relay while flying. I downgraded both app and controller to get things back to where i wanted them.
Go App no longer uses google map? Bad news. Is this documented anywhere?

Members, please note each and every word of "flyNFrank". He has long experience with Phantom series and knows "ins and outs" of it. I always wait to see his comments. He just doesn't quote words from the manuals, he uses his great experience to advice all.

I think he's better than the manual... :)

And yes, I did the update Saturday night, and my AC rebooted a few times during the process. I think mine took about 14:39 minutes to do it.. (just kidding... I think it was about 15 minutes or so...) I also did calibrations after the update. Since it's snowing today I probably can't test until tomorrow.

Bill, it was noted here in a few threads (one linked below). This is another example of a DJI surprise that is not listed in the release notes.

Google Map Missing
Thanks for the link. I guess I will load an older version and forget about upgrading anything from now on. It seems strange to me that the app for my Bebop "toy" drone still provides google map and huge DJI has to make cuts like this.

Last edited:
Some folks on DJI forums reporting some issues. Some say that the app doesn't show the upgrade level even though it was successful.. something new (apparently) but not included in the list is that batteries must now be at 60 degrees Farenheit for the aircraft to start? Hope those of us who actually have winter have nice warm pockets! :)

Cold temps shorten up battery longevity. Temps below freezing net around 7-9min flights. I have always set my temp limit at 18 degree's. You'll find in those temps the phones and tablets become hard to function. Having to repeatedly having to press on the screen is very common in cold weather.

If you have a battery with a weak cell, the mentioned times above will be reduced even more! Last year at this time the DJI store had battery heaters to help you start with your batteries as close to 100 degree temp just before going out to fly. One of my personal secrets was to cover up all the air vents prior to flying in cold weather. Use tape or old stickers or decals.

Btw, I have no doubt there were a good amount of changing done with in the battery firmware. You will likely see additional propulsion warnings. These are not a bad thing either as they reduce the amount of power to the motors. However, if you are dealing with a head wind this could make your stress level go up some.

10 min update and flew with 2 batteries. No probs whatsoever....Should I update with all 5 of my batteries also or no battery update needed???
It is my understanding that this update does not affect the batteries.

It is my understanding that this update does not affect the batteries.

Don't know Gary, but people on DJI forums are saying they are updating batteries as well. I haven't made the jump yet, so can't say with certainty..

Cold temps shorten up battery longevity. Temps below freezing net around 7-9min flights. I have always set my temp limit at 18 degree's. You'll find in those temps the phones and tablets become hard to function. Having to repeatedly having to press on the screen is very common in cold weather.

If you have a battery with a weak cell, the mentioned times above will be reduced even more! Last year at this time the DJI store had battery heaters to help you start with your batteries as close to 100 degree temp just before going out to fly. One of my personal secrets was to cover up all the air vents prior to flying in cold weather. Use tape or old stickers or decals.

Btw, I have no doubt there were a good amount of changing done with in the battery firmware. You will likely see additional propulsion warnings. These are not a bad thing either as they reduce the amount of power to the motors. However, if you are dealing with a head wind this could make your stress level go up some.

Frank,

Not debating any of the in flight items, but how does not starting if the battery is at less than 60 degrees help? It won't take very long once in flight to bring up the battery temps I would think.. could be wrong. By the same token I don't advocate putting a 20 degree battery in, but 60 Fahrenheit seems fairly warm..

Frank,

Not debating any of the in flight items, but how does not starting if the battery is at less than 60 degrees help? It won't take very long once in flight to bring up the battery temps I would think.. could be wrong. By the same token I don't advocate putting a 20 degree battery in, but 60 Fahrenheit seems fairly warm..

I'm surprised the mark wasn't 70 degrees based on changes made concerning the battery this time last year that does in deed begin at 70 degrees.

So if a limit of 60 degrees has been placed on whether the A/C starts, what do you think has been doing for A/C's that fly in temps under 60 degrees? If you can't start it then, why would they allow you do go beyond that function?

It was this same type of ridiculousness as to why I stopped doing all updates just over a year ago.

But as far as the 60 degree no-start......pretty much without any data on this, everything would be speculation. My guess is they are now possibly using formulas that wont work starting out under the 60 degree point?

I'm surprised the mark wasn't 70 degrees based on changes made concerning the battery this time last year that does in deed begin at 70 degrees.

So if a limit of 60 degrees has been placed on whether the A/C starts, what do you think has been doing for A/C's that fly in temps under 60 degrees? If you can't start it then, why would they allow you do go beyond that function?

It was this same type of ridiculousness as to why I stopped doing all updates just over a year ago.

But as far as the 60 degree no-start......pretty much without any data on this, everything would be speculation. My guess is they are now possibly using formulas that wont work starting out under the 60 degree point?

It's the battery temp, not the AC temp (or outdoor temp). My understanding is if you keep the battery warm, say in an inner pocket, the AC will start fine.

So I hope this isn't a stupid question, but will the Phantom keep the battery warm in-flight? If it's 30 degrees out, and I have a warm battery, and go for a flight, I assume because the battery is "working" it should be warm?

If I understand the question, are you concerned it will cut out in flight? I don't think that's the intent.. It's really a "start up" temp.. If you keep the batteries warmed up (as I said above) in an inner pocket, the AC will start and fly fine. Flights do tend to be shorter in colder temps, but that's the case with most anything using a battery in cold weather. I keep my DSLR batteries (a lot smaller) warm when shooting outside in Fall and Winter.. Should one be cold though, the camera would still work.

Sorry for my post! Why in hxxx would they do that? Do all people who bought a DJI product live in Brazil / Texas / Australia ? I'm sure that nobody north of Texas should ever update to 1.10. x . Maybe that's exactly why some MODS at DJI are warning that you can't go back because for us up NORTH where weather gets colder than 60 degree can't use the drone 2/3 of the year with that "wonderful" feature. Again. It fits perfectly to DJI's part to tell customers exactly what to do. Is it not part of the system that customers actually can make they own decisions how they like to use a product? Now the "Chinese Party" tells DJI customers that you are not allowed to use your $1,300 plus toys in the spring and fall time anymore. NOT cool at all!

DJI is getting more and more ridiculous every time the bring out a new firmware.

If I understand the question, are you concerned it will cut out in flight? I don't think that's the intent.. It's really a "start up" temp.. If you keep the batteries warmed up (as I said above) in an inner pocket, the AC will start and fly fine. Flights do tend to be shorter in colder temps, but that's the case with most anything using a battery in cold weather. I keep my DSLR batteries (a lot smaller) warm when shooting outside in Fall and Winter.. Should one be cold though, the camera would still work.

Well, I guess what I'm saying is.. so say I want to fly this weekend... it's only going to be in the low 30's, so I keep my AC and batteries warm in the car, and put them in a pocket till just before I fly. So then I'm in the air... I assume that because I'm flying the battery will stay warm in the AC... does the AC generate enough heat, or does the battery generate heat when being used? I'm probably still not explaining it well, but hope you get what I'm trying to say... :)

Well, I guess what I'm saying is.. so say I want to fly this weekend... it's only going to be in the low 30's, so I keep my AC and batteries warm in the car, and put them in a pocket till just before I fly. So then I'm in the air... I assume that because I'm flying the battery will stay warm in the AC... does the AC generate enough heat, or does the battery generate heat when being used? I'm probably still not explaining it well, but hope you get what I'm trying to say... :)

So again, I think this is only a "take off" thing. Have you ever felt the batteries after a flight? They heat up pretty quick so this isn't a question of not being able to fly in winter, just keep the batteries warm before using (again inside pocket). Not even a case of the temp of the AC.. just the battery from what I'm reading.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z