v1.1.1 dual antenna RX.

Reaction score
I'm planning to use one of these on my F450 build.
I only had the old Phantom original- so could someone please tell me how the antennas are routed on the newer Phantom P1 so that I can mimic it on the F450.

discv said:
I'm planning to use one of these on my F450 build.
I only had the old Phantom original- so could someone please tell me how the antennas are routed on the newer Phantom P1 so that I can mimic it on the F450.

You want to have them on opposing corners.

Some Phantoms have them both on one side, both on the front or both on the rear. Those orientations defeat the purpose.

The goal is to increase the "capture area" of the controller's signal by placing the antennas where they are not obscured by the orientation of the craft.

If possible, avoid the corner closest to a gimbal motor. If no other option is available, you can run it parallel to an input lead carrying data to the FC, but try to avoid an output lead that carries signal from the FC.

Thanks Dalite.

So they are running down the landing gear legs at opposite corners?

Trouble is that I don't really want to fit the landing gear to the F450 at first. I wonder what issues I may hit running the antennas horizontally along the motor arms.

discv said:
Thanks Dalite.

So they are running down the landing gear legs at opposite corners?

Trouble is that I don't really want to fit the landing gear to the F450 at first. I wonder what issues I may hit running the antennas horizontally along the motor arms.

You will approach a directional pattern as opposed to the omni directional pattern that vertical mounting provides.

To use horizontal and retain omni directional pattern, you would need to go to a loop type design.

If you were working with a much lower frequency, it may be possible to exit from the center and use mono filament to string them to lower part of landing gear, but at the higher frequencies the actual exposed antenna wire conductor length is too small to attach a support to without chance of detuning.

If you have ever looked at an old radio wiring harness, you will see a method of using cord to contain the wires by attaching to one point and adding a half hitch on at regular intervals. It may be possible to do a similar process to use mono filament fishing line along the insulated part of the antenna lead ( to distribute the stress load on the wire) and get an angled pattern - but you will lose some range by cross polarizing the antenna.

Simple Answer, I wouldn't advise horizontal polarization. Others here may have already tried this and have more promising input to offer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl