V 3.1.3 Go app out in play store

From the short test flights I've managed to do in between bouts of horrible weather, I can say without reservation that Litchi is a far better solution. The DJI Go app has been flakey from the start no matter what version I've tried, with video lag being the most bothersome. After spending the $28 Canadian, with some trepidation, on Litchi I am now convinced it was money well spent and I will only install DJI Go on my secondary device for periodic maintenance.
They both work for me very well for me, all my max runs have be using the Go app.

I wish that worked for me. I usually have my phone on flight mode but with wifi turned on as it just chews up the battery looking for mobile service when I'm at home. Even with the app open and wifi on but not connected to drone I see no maps since Google maps.
So when connected to your home wifi, with the Go app open. You should be able to go into camera view screen and open up the map screen and maps will load if you have a working internet.

Was trying to fly the PM. Locked out. Had to update to latest Go App. Flew for 15 minutes with no issue

This 3.1.3 is ok.... Best results if instead of updating, uninstall your previous app and it's cache and do a clean install of the updated version.

The difference is usually in the Satelite views ... But in fact HERE maps are the old NAVTEQ which provide 99% of Autocar nav system maps. BUT to have the full HERE maps - it is a paid version. The free version we cache is a poor cousin as you'd expect.
Google generally has later satelite imagery but that is debatable in many areas I fly / travel. Even my house only shows the situation of years ago ..... with HERE showing the same !!

One strange thing is I notice quite a bit of cloud cover on some HERE maps but not on Google. Which I find strange because surely - they must be both taking images from same satelite source ? Neither actually has its own satelite up there !!

Nigel
One question. If I installed Off-line Here maps on the wifi-only mobile I use for flying, would the GO app use the off-line Here map instead of needing to cache maps via wifi or mobile data?

Last edited:
One question. If I installed Off-line Here maps on the wifi-only mobile I use for flying, would the GO app use the off-line Here map instead of needing to cache maps via wifi or mobile data?
The Go app does not use maps that may be on any third party app. Neither does Litchi.

The Go app does not use maps that may be on any third party app. Neither does Litchi.
I had to ask because whenever I cache the Here map with my wifi at home, as soon as I switch back to the remote's wifi, there's no map. Yeah, I have Litchi too but like casual flying with GO.

I had to ask because whenever I cache the Here map with my wifi at home, as soon as I switch back to the remote's wifi, there's no map. Yeah, I have Litchi too but like casual flying with GO.
Are you doing a power cycle on your device? That may be why, I leave mine on.

Reactions: betabilly
So when connected to your home wifi, with the Go app open. You should be able to go into camera view screen and open up the map screen and maps will load if you have a working internet.
Hey what do you know. I now have google maps back and I didn't this morning. I used to be able to see Here maps while connected to home wifi but as soon as I went outside and connected to drone they were gone. This morning I couldn't see any maps when connected to home wifi but had Here on a grey or white background. Just tried now after reading your reply and google maps are back...and I have a map :) Prolly will be gone next time I get a chance to fly but one can live in hope.

Are you doing a power cycle on your device? That may be why, I leave mine on.

No, tonight I was just playing around, not power cycling. I could do that with previous app versions.
One time I got Gmaps to start and stay on with everything on. Another time, after the Hmap was cached via my home's wifi, the map went away as soon as I switched to the Phantom's wifi. Power cycled everything and this time I got Hmaps to show although none of these results were achieved with more than 6 satellitess inside my house (a cold and rainy night)

When I got Hmaps to finally come up with the FPV, only the normal map view had any detail. The hybrid view showed streets on a solid black background when it should have shown the streets overlaid on a satellite view. Satellite view showed no terrain at all until I zoomed out to an area the size of Penna. I suppose the Hmap is very dependent on a solid gps lock on both the aircraft and mobile device. Power cycled everything and loaded Litchi and the Gmaps that had been cached 3 days ago came up perfectly.
Looks like this GO app is only going to be used for upgrading firmware, the chaotic map situation makes my kind of flying impossible.
I really wanted to give this new app version a good run but until this map debacle is solved, it's going to be uninstalled until I have a use of it.
I digress.

They used to be there when it was Google maps, then they vanished with Here maps. On a couple of occasions I have seen maps when connected to home wifi but not always. When I did I tried scrolling around and zooming in and stuff but they'd vanish when I went outside and connected to drone instead. I have an android device with no option to cache maps....my reading here indicates that android automatically caches.
However, I have just opened the GO app now and suddenly I have google maps back!! I bet it's too good to be true and reverts like others have though.

Reactions: betabilly
Hey what do you know. I now have google maps back and I didn't this morning. I used to be able to see Here maps while connected to home wifi but as soon as I went outside and connected to drone they were gone. This morning I couldn't see any maps when connected to home wifi but had Here on a grey or white background. Just tried now after reading your reply and google maps are back...and I have a map :) Prolly will be gone next time I get a chance to fly but one can live in hope.

Check if you turned off "Calibrate Amaps" in the app's settings after you updated the app. I believe that is a default setting with a newly updated app.

They used to be there when it was Google maps, then they vanished with Here maps. On a couple of occasions I have seen maps when connected to home wifi but not always. When I did I tried scrolling around and zooming in and stuff but they'd vanish when I went outside and connected to drone instead. I have an android device with no option to cache maps....my reading here indicates that android automatically caches.
However, I have just opened the GO app now and suddenly I have google maps back!! I bet it's too good to be true and reverts like others have though.

Yeah, for me this Hmap thing is turning into a crap shoot. I'm just going to stick with Litchi until DJI comes up with a walk-through. They must consider that not everybody has mobile data to load maps at their flying locations. If DJI released a pay version that uses Gmaps, I would certainly buy it.

Reactions: miskairal
if you have a 4g cellular connection you will get GOOGLE maps

Well none of the tricks to obtain google maps worked for me. In fact I have gone from bad to worst. While it says that I have google maps the windows is blank/grey. Any attempt to get back to Here maps fails. I even went as far as deleting all app data, uninstalling then re-installing the app. When I re-load the app I always get the blank Google map. Only way to get Here maps is to disconnect from the drone and connect to local wifi. Once Here maps are loaded I reconnect back to drone and Voila.... blank Google maps......

Hi all,

There is a simple way to use previous version as 3.1.3.
It's a bit constraining as you need to apply it each time, but it works...

1. Download previous version of DJI GO, for example 3.0.1, from apk pure
2. Turn airplane mode on
3. Uninstall version 3.1.3 of DJO GO
4. Install version 3.0.1
5. Do not turn airplane mode off until your next fly

Julien

Well none of the tricks to obtain google maps worked for me. In fact I have gone from bad to worst. While it says that I have google maps the windows is blank/grey. Any attempt to get back to Here maps fails. I even went as far as deleting all app data, uninstalling then re-installing the app. When I re-load the app I always get the blank Google map. Only way to get Here maps is to disconnect from the drone and connect to local wifi. Once Here maps are loaded I reconnect back to drone and Voila.... blank Google maps......
went for an actual flight today , no GOOGLE maps for me today , just the basic HERE maps , had GOOGLE maps every time I tried it yesterday in the house , on positive note flight was good with good range

No, tonight I was just playing around, not power cycling. I could do that with previous app versions.
One time I got Gmaps to start and stay on with everything on. Another time, after the Hmap was cached via my home's wifi, the map went away as soon as I switched to the Phantom's wifi. Power cycled everything and this time I got Hmaps to show although none of these results were achieved with more than 6 satellitess inside my house (a cold and rainy night)

When I got Hmaps to finally come up with the FPV, only the normal map view had any detail. The hybrid view showed streets on a solid black background when it should have shown the streets overlaid on a satellite view. Satellite view showed no terrain at all until I zoomed out to an area the size of Penna. I suppose the Hmap is very dependent on a solid gps lock on both the aircraft and mobile device. Power cycled everything and loaded Litchi and the Gmaps that had been cached 3 days ago came up perfectly.
Looks like this GO app is only going to be used for upgrading firmware, the chaotic map situation makes my kind of flying impossible.
I really wanted to give this new app version a good run but until this map debacle is solved, it's going to be uninstalled until I have a use of it.
I digress.
The Maps work just fine on my device, they get cached and are working in the field. Sounds like a incompatibility between your device and that app, not the app itself otherwise everyone would have the same issue.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94