Using yaw causes extreme pitch/roll drift

Reaction score
Hi!

Have just started flying my brand new PV2+ & discovered its plagued with the dreaded
drifting whilst trying to yaw. Have flown it 10 times now over the last three days in
everything from a 15mph gusty wind to dead calm conditions but the drifting occurs
in all conditions and can be as much as 20ft. Doesn't seem to make a difference if
I yaw quickly or slowly - off it goes on a wander around the sky & then, automatically,
it goes back to the postion where I started the yaw. I've tried an advanced IMU calibration
on perfectly level ground but it didn't help. I braved removing the lid of the quad to
check the NAZAM unit is correctly seated but it looks fine - solidly mounted and dead
level. I've read a lot about re-setting the compass but I haven't tried that because in
Attitude mode it yaws perfectly true & as I understand it in Atti mode only the GPS lock
is disabled but both the compass & barometric systems are still used. In terms of
GPS, I'm only getting between 7 and 9 satellites but even with 9 & no wind the
problem persists.

In all other respects the phantom flies perfectly.

The Phantom shipped with V3.09 firmware but I upgraded it to V3.12 before my first
flight - is there anyway of going back to V3.09 or does anybody have any other ideas
for a fix or should I send it back to DJI??

Are you using a spirit/bubble level on that ground? It needs to be levelled in ALL axis.
Also, do the IMU calibration when the phantom has NOT been flown for an hour. Do it immediately when you plug the phantom into Phantom assist. The colder the phantom and quicker you do the ADV IMU, the more accurate. I've managed to do mine without having the MC Temp warning appear. As a result, the green ticks appear in less 2 minutes.

Are you using a spirit/bubble level on that ground? It needs to be levelled in ALL axis.
Also, do the IMU calibration when the phantom has NOT been flown for an hour. Do it immediately when you plug the phantom into Phantom assist. The colder the phantom and quicker you do the ADV IMU, the more accurate. I've managed to do mine without having the MC Temp warning appear. As a result, the green ticks appear in less 2 minutes.

Thanks for the response - I noticed other people were getting warm battery
alerts but I did mine about an hour after flying & no problem there. I even
tried inserting sheets of paper under the opposite legs to the drift which
did seem to change the direction of the drift but didn't solve it - re-checked
in Atti mode & it remained perfect.

Have just checked again & I did forget to check the left/right axis with the
spirit level - for a moment I thought it was out but then realised my spirit
level was just catching an internal wire - having gently moved the wire
its absolutely bang on in both axis. I've read that sometimes the GPS
antenna in the hood can be a problem if damaged - should I peel back
the copper backed cladding & take a look + if so what should I be looking
for?

Last edited:
I had a really bad yaw drift on my phantom 2 vision + v3. I removed the top of the phantom and found that the gps wire fits really loose in the plug. I pushed it down tightly and did an advanced calibration, I also used glass on top of the motors with a bubble level via Internet research and to my amazement fixed just as solid as the day I unboxed it. I wanted to post this because I see a lot of people with the same issue and this was what I found that fixed mine hopefully it helps someone else!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4