Using W323 parts on W323A

Reaction score
I happen to have some parts left from original Phantom 3 Pro with model name W323 and I´m wondering if I could use those on newer, W323A model. Supposedly original W323 should have greater video transmission range then W323A. Can I install transmitter unit (a board located behind gmbal) from W323 to W323A? I know, that motors and mainboard are different and I can not mix old motors with new mainboard but what about other modules? There were no problems when changing the gimbal with camera. And if the swap is possible then will be there any improvements to see or is it just a snake oil thing?

Can I install transmitter unit (a board located behind gmbal) from W323 to W323A?

Yes. All modules are interchangeable, besides main board which should be moved with motors.

Supposedly original W323 should have greater video transmission range then W323A. [...] if the swap is possible then will be there any improvements to see or is it just a snake oil thing?

There is no improvement to see, unless you have a very old firmware which doesn't correctly set attenuations. Or you mod the firmware to set transceiver attenuations to 0.

So - older hardware has greater potential, but you also need to unleash it. Without that step - both OFDM boards work the same.

I once worked on a sheet with attenuations set by various firmwares to various board types. But I never finished it - I had a mistake, and never got back to fixing it.

Anyway, the dji-firmware-tools have a tool which allows to import/export attenuation values from firmware - this is what I used.

Thank you for valuable input. I actually was able to find all the missing parts for my W323 and now I have two functioning birds. I also made quick range test that basically confirmed what you said - there is hardly any difference. With W323 I got 2500 meters range and with W323A I got 3000 meters range. As old W323 has strange shake (not visible on video) in the body I think, that I will just continue with newer, W323A version.

After some range testing I found, that W323A has lot better range and signal level than W323. Go figure now. I did a test by flying over straight road at same height and basically W323 got same overall distance but was struggling with signal level and wanted to return home twice while W323A had no issues what so ever and I returned to home just because battery level.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20