Using internet while connected to wifi extender

I thought this was kinda interesting, given all the info that I had from you guys I decided to try some experiments last night and started to play around with the wifi setting and how it all ties in with the phantom and the extender. what i did was i connected one iphone to the Camera it self. i enabled static and set the ip address to the camera and left it blank. I had control of the camera with the full internet connection.. now this is where i had an idea (and im still working on this):

What if i connect my iphone straight to the camera and enable the internet, then remote connect to my iphone that is attached to my phantom via VNC and SSH from a Tablet or PC over a data connection. I would have to direct the tablet or PC to look for the connection on my phone thru either SSH or similar method. but what this will do is allow your tablet to use the vision app on the ground over a internet or data connection connected to the phone attached to the phantom and not having to worry about distance.

I know this sounds ridiculous but i had this kinda working last night with a different method by just VNC from one phone to the another.. But i have two Iphones with data connections and one is Jailbroken to allow me to do this.. It works sorta but still have to figure out just how to complete the connection over the internet. Really the only way i could find this use full is by setting a mission with waypoints and letting it go but still be able to see the phantom and control the app from a greater distance.

ryanhoelzer said:
Another one called network info II.

Already downloaded Network Info II. It's a nice app, but it's informational only... doesn't do anything for config.

I'll check out ipconfig.

So are you talking about using the DNS and Gateway from the cellular provider in the admin of the repeater, like a proxy? Or using them in the config profile on the phone?

macuser13 said:
what this will do is allow your tablet to use the vision app on the ground over a internet or data connection connected to the phone attached to the phantom and not having to worry about distance.

But you already said that you "had control of the camera with the full internet connection" with your other solution... so I'm confused.
What would this get you that you don't already have??

macuser13 said:
this will do is allow your tablet to use the vision app on the ground over a internet or data connection connected to the phone attached to the phantom and not having to worry about distance.

That is an interesting idea. Essentially you'd be doing something similar to what the "over the web" home security apps do with connecting to their cameras from a device at home, then broadcasting it.

The thought that pops into my head is that the iphone would lose connectivity to the camera very quickly. You'd have to connect the camera to the iphone via wifi. And the camera's wifi signal is weak. (other threads show this as a culprit for dropped FPV.)

I know I'm missing something though because you said that distance wouldn't be an issue.

Interesting idea.

Use them in the wifi profile. That should give the phone the IP it needs to talk to the app and a valid gateway/dns to look at for internet.

Possible issue with that is they could change depending on where you are, might still work but might have to be changed.

ProfessorStein said:
ryanhoelzer said:
Another one called network info II.

Already downloaded Network Info II. It's a nice app, but it's informational only... doesn't do anything for config.

I'll check out ipconfig.

So are you talking about using the DNS and Gateway from the cellular provider in the admin of the repeater, like a proxy? Or using them in the config profile on the phone?

I had some time now to play with the toys hands on and there unfortunately in my combination at least seams to be a major "cave eat" and show stopper for now.
I just entered a 1.1.1.1 on gateway for now. (theory use other interface if dns look up did not work wifi)

Well the thing is when I activates the bluetooth link the wifi interface shuts down, cant get them to be on simultaneously.

I will spend some more time digging into this that for a second looks so promising.

Any one with a Nexus with a 3g on the can test if it works that way? (current nexus might then be considered to be a gift somewhere into family ;))

-Tomas

Yes the camera would be connected directly to the iphone via WIFI with out the extender. but attach the phone to the phantom and there wouldnt be a connection break. In theory what i mean is the phone is strapped to the phantom and connected to the camera via Wifi. set it as a static, then leave the DNS blank so the phone can still connect to the internet. launch the DJI Vision app on a internet connected tablet or PC and remote in to the phone on the Phantom. thus allowing you to see the screen on the phantom from the ground, all doing this through the internet.

Yes its almost like having an internet cam.. i mean heck if i wanted i could just start my IPcam app on my phone and access that from my computer, but you still wont have access to the Phantom app or screen

ProfessorStein said:
macuser13 said:
what this will do is allow your tablet to use the vision app on the ground over a internet or data connection connected to the phone attached to the phantom and not having to worry about distance.

But you already said that you "had control of the camera with the full internet connection" with your other solution... so I'm confused.
What would this get you that you don't already have??

It would get you (in a unrealistic example) to be able to control the phantom from the other side of the world. :D

macuser13 said:
Yes the camera would be connected directly to the iphone via WIFI with out the extender. but attach the phone to the phantom and there wouldnt be a connection break.

That's the part I missed.

You might run into conflicting IP addresses, and flight time will be shortened.

Definitely want to hear if this works.

RScottCampbell said:
macuser13 said:
Yes the camera would be connected directly to the iphone via WIFI with out the extender. but attach the phone to the phantom and there wouldnt be a connection break.

You might run into conflicting IP addresses, and flight time will be shortened.

Definitely want to hear if this works.

Yeah there would be alot to work out, and of course flight times would be shorten but this would be for someone without a gimbal and extra hardware. i mean a phantom can only go so far on a single charge anyways, but just think you wouldnt have to worry about lost connections and if it did go down, you can find it from the GPS on your phone.

last night i never even touched the remote except to turn it on, the app did all the flying. it took off and landed just fine

i might work on this some more this weekend when i get some of that extra time iv been looking for and see what i can come up with. If it does work, ill just hire someone to take the phantom to where i need it and fly it from home :lol: not that

RScottCampbell said:
macuser13 said:

Ahhhh! That's the part I missed, too. Didn't realize you were thinking attach the other iPhone to the Phantom.

One stumbling block might be connecting to the WiFi on the camera. From what I hear, it's the repeater that sets up the Phantom_xxxx SID. The camera actually sets up it's own local net at _FC200_xxxx, and that SID is typically not accessible in WiFi scans of most consumer equipment. But if your iPhone is jailbroken, I'm betting there's a software way around that.

Would be very interesting. You'd, in essence, have a cellularly-controlled Phantom. Is that the thought?
Can't wait to hear your results.

macuser13 said:
ProfessorStein said:
macuser13 said:
It would get you (in a unrealistic example) to be able to control the phantom from the other side of the world. :D

I wonder what kind of FPV lag time you'd get from the other side of the country... hahaha.

That also makes me wonder if you'd get too much lag just bouncing around between towers and satellites.

really interesting idea though.

ProfessorStein said:
RScottCampbell said:
macuser13 said:

Ahhhh! That's the part I missed, too. Didn't realize you were thinking attach the other iPhone to the Phantom.

One stumbling block might be connecting to the WiFi on the camera. From what I hear, it's the repeater that sets up the Phantom_xxxx SID. The camera actually sets up it's own local net at _FC200_xxxx, and that SID is typically not accessible in WiFi scans of most consumer equipment. But if your iPhone is jailbroken, I'm betting there's a software way around that.

Would be very interesting. You'd, in essence, have a cellularly-controlled Phantom. Is that the thought?
Can't wait to hear your results.

Yes you can connect to the camera you just have to find the camera's ssid which can be found in the extenders menu.. you basically set up a new wifi connection(on the Iphone just select "other") enter the SSID (or Network Name) of the camera (FC200_xxxx) with no security set to "none" and viola! you are connected and can use the app like normal. also no jailbreak is needed. You can also do this a a computer with wireless. If you decided to log on to the camera (192.168.1.1) you will notice that there is no GUI or menu, only file system.

Yes basically thats how it would work.

macuser13 said:
ProfessorStein said:
macuser13 said:
You can also do this a a computer with wireless.

Ok, now it got interesting. I'm not a Mac user. I don't know why, another story:) Anyway, so in theory, if I had a lightweight android device with 3g/4g, connected it to the camera, strapped it to my P2V+ then connect to it via my Samsung Win8.1 tablet I would have something like a ground station "lite". I've been trying to get the Vision Android apk to work on Windows. It works with Blue Stacks but I can't get a connection to the range extender. You're ideas give me some new things to try. Cool.

You should start tracking this in a new thread... since it's going far beyond the original subject of this one. I bet a lot of other folks would likely be interested in following it, that don't even know it's here because it's tucked inside this topic.

Doesn't work by default, but it can be done with iOS devices like iPhone or iPad (probably Android, too but I'm not familiar with it). Requires a small, simple hack.

The Phantom Wifi extender normally acts as a DHCP server and dynamically assigns your phone's IP address, Subnet Mask, Router/Gateway address, and DNS address when you connect.

When you connect to the Phantom wifi, look at these settings and write them down.

Now edit the Phantom wifi connection entry on your phone:
- change DHCP to Static
- enter the IP address you wrote down (192.168.1.215 in my case)
- enter the Subnet Mask you wrote down (255.255.255.0 in my case)
- leave Router/Gateway BLANK
- leave DNS BLANK

Now your phone knows the Internet cannot be reached on this wifi connection. So it will now use 3G/4G data whenever an internet connection is required. But it will still maintain the wifi connection as a local network, and the Vision App will keep working.

It seems to me that DJI *should* have programmed the Wifi Extender's DHCP server to always provide BLANK addresses for Router/Gateway and DNS in the first place. It's not like you can connect to the Internet thru your Phantom!
That works perfectly. Thank you for that advice :)

Doesn't work by default, but it can be done with iOS devices like iPhone or iPad (probably Android, too but I'm not familiar with it). Requires a small, simple hack.

The Phantom Wifi extender normally acts as a DHCP server and dynamically assigns your phone's IP address, Subnet Mask, Router/Gateway address, and DNS address when you connect.

When you connect to the Phantom wifi, look at these settings and write them down.

Now edit the Phantom wifi connection entry on your phone:
- change DHCP to Static
- enter the IP address you wrote down (192.168.1.215 in my case)
- enter the Subnet Mask you wrote down (255.255.255.0 in my case)
- leave Router/Gateway BLANK
- leave DNS BLANK

Now your phone knows the Internet cannot be reached on this wifi connection. So it will now use 3G/4G data whenever an internet connection is required. But it will still maintain the wifi connection as a local network, and the Vision App will keep working.

It seems to me that DJI *should* have programmed the Wifi Extender's DHCP server to always provide BLANK addresses for Router/Gateway and DNS in the first place. It's not like you can connect to the Internet thru your Phantom!

My android 5.0.1 dosen't allow Router/Gateway and DNS to be BLANK, if I don't touch it, the extender Gateway Ip and DNS stays in place automatically.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever figure this out? I have a Phantom 3 and Android and the same problem, no data with WiFi connection to Phantom- and Android won't let us leave those values blank...

how to get 4g while connected to phantom via wifi
Nexus 5X

Settings>Apps> (press the cog at the top right) >Configure Aps> Special Access > Unrestricted data access > turn on the DJI Go Ap > Boom

If you look in the settings for the app there is an option to upgrade RE to allow use of internet whilst connected to phantom wifi, Can't remember the exact details as I haven't used the app for 18 months

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik