Using intelligent fly modes below departure point

OOO

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Nowadays I'm busy filming a deep canyon. I'm at the top of the canyon and I want to use POI mode inside the canyon. The drone does not allow me to use POI mode as the flight route is lower than the departure point. Is there a safe way to use intelligent flight modes below your departure point?
Thank you.

Is it possible to land somewhere down in the canyon , below your POI target , and reset the home point ? That might allow the POI mode to work . But be careful not to lose signal or you might not get your Phantom back when trying to set a new home point/ launch point !

Reactions: OOO
Is it possible to land somewhere down in the canyon , below your POI target , and reset the home point ? That might allow the POI mode to work . But be careful not to lose signal or you might not get your Phantom back when trying to set a new home point/ launch point !

No. There's no convenient place to remotely land the drone in this canyon. Is it possible to reset the home point to your current position during the flight?

Using the search function of the forum I found that you can reset home point while flying , BUT HEIGHT IS STILL DETERMINED FROM ORIGINAL LAUNCH POINT :(

Using the search function of the forum I found that you can reset home point while flying , BUT HEIGHT IS STILL DETERMINED FROM ORIGINAL LAUNCH POINT :(

Interesting. I don't quite understand the logic of introducing such a restriction to intelligent fly modes. Maybe I'm missing something.

That is the only answer I see, but a risky one. I figure it was a safety feature too keep most people from crashing. Good intentions for the most part, but there are some people who think outside the norm of things. Lol

Good chance you'll lose gps in canyon so be ready if it goes to atti mode

Good chance you'll lose gps in canyon so be ready if it goes to atti mode

Thank you. Most of my canyon videos are filmed completely in ATTI mode. Thus, I’m ok with ATTI mode as long as the drone is in VLOS. I have also shot several times in this canyon and for the most part there is no GPS problem here. I sometimes get a magnet error when I approach the canyon walls, but the problem disappears when I move away from the wall. Since I'm shooting from the top of the canyon, the controller is looking directly at the drone, so there's not much connection problems.
This canyon is one of the largest canyons in the world. In some regions, the altitude difference between the top and the base of the canyon is over 1000 meters. The height of the rock walls in the canyon reaches 500-600 meters and I think no camera can accurately reflect this magnificent view. When I'm done here, I hope I can get home with a working drone :)

Maybe the problem is purely physical. At RTH the altitude of flying back to the HP must be specified. How can the drone calculate the altitude of returning flight if HP is much more above that and it doesn't 'know' the high of rock walls around. Maybe I'm completely wrong but it has some sense.
Beside that such option would lead to numerous crashes so it's better as it is. You'll need to fly it manually.

Maybe the problem is purely physical. At RTH the altitude of flying back to the HP must be specified. How can the drone calculate the altitude of returning flight if HP is much more above that and it doesn't 'know' the high of rock walls around. Maybe I'm completely wrong but it has some sense.
Beside that such option would lead to numerous crashes so it's better as it is. You'll need to fly it manually.

Thank you! I usually don’t use intelligent flight modes except for drone lapse videos. In this spot, however, the POI and Course Lock modes could be very helpful for some complex and creative shots. It seems I have no choice but to do it manually.

We do not need to change the home point. But what's wrong with using intelligent flight modes below the home point? Yes, it is probably a safety measure, but I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind it. Maybe it is a technical limitation of DJI drones.

Last edited:
Thank you! I usually don’t use intelligent flight modes except for drone lapse videos. In this spot, however, the POI and Course Lock modes could be very helpful for some complex and creative shots. It seems I have no choice but to do it manually.

We do not need to change the home point. But what's wrong with using intelligent flight modes below the home point? Yes, it is probably a safety measure, but I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind it. Maybe it is a technical limitation of DJI drones.

If you start your Litchi mission in Google Earth, you can assign all your altitudes above ground. Have you try it?

If you start your Litchi mission in Google Earth, you can assign all your altitudes above ground. Have you try it?

Thank you. I don’t use Litchi. The drone is a P4P with built in screen. But if you can do it with Litchi then it is very clear that the drone has no technical limitations to implementing intelligent flight modes bellow the home point. It is just a DJI’s safety measure.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers