Using an external 12 volt HDMI monitor with the P4P controller

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
Has anyone done this? Since I often fly from next to my vehicle, I'd like to have a larger screen size than the Plus controller offers. My controller has an HDMI output. I see there are 10" to 12" monitors available and affordable. Why not? Or can I connect my iPad Pro to my controller to act as an external monitor?

Don't know about the iPad pro but I've connected a battery operated screen next to my controller + iPad many times. Size is no limit. Once flew using a 10 foot diagonal projection tv screen. Talk about immersion. Note you don't get all the flight data on the extra screen.

Reactions: Capt KO
Has anyone done this? Since I often fly from next to my vehicle, I'd like to have a larger screen size than the Plus controller offers. My controller has an HDMI output. I see there are 10" to 12" monitors available and affordable. Why not? Or can I connect my iPad Pro to my controller to act as an external monitor?
I do this with hdmi mini adapter plug on remote,that's if you have multiple plugs on usb module,,,hdmi into remote micro usb slot and other end in tv,,on in your settings under HD you can switch to display to tablet and tv here,,biggest my car inverter run is 42inch tv,,yes makes for great viewing

Reactions: Capt KO
Hi Jeffreys

I use a 24" monitor that runs off 12 Vdc in the back of my SUV, for both my Phantom 3 ( with HDMI module) and my Mavic Pro. The MP is a bit more awkward because there is no direct HDMI output, but I use my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet which has a HDMI port. As ianzone says great viewing...

Regards Waylander

Would it not be the case that the viewing device's power source and size are irrelevant as the device's innards would be designed to supply the correct voltages etc. to or accept from, the HDMI connector and to manipulate the incoming signals correctly for its screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi PhiliusFoggg

The reason I mention the power requirement of the screen, is so I don't have to use an inverter, the monitor I use does not have a built in power supply, it has an external power supply like you get with a laptop, and that power supply gives a 12Vdc output, so I don't use the power supply I just connect the monitor to my SUV power outlet point.

But you are correct in what you are saying, it is irrelevant what power requirement the screen needs as the HDMI signal is not dependant, but is a varying signal output voltage of around 0.6 Volts at about 10 milliamps, sorry if my post confused you.

Waylander

Great. I don't want all the flight data on the external screen, just want to have friends follow my flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic