Using a gimbal without fpv wifi

Reaction score
OK, I'm new at this so I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. I don't have a smart phone but I want to use a gimbal for horizontal stability. Since I won't be able to view the tilt angle I would like to leave it at a fixed position so the horizon is in the middle of frame. Can I preset the tilt so it stays fixed and use that way?

Woody said:
OK, I'm new at this so I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. I don't have a smart phone but I want to use a gimbal for horizontal stability. Since I won't be able to view the tilt angle I would like to leave it at a fixed position so the horizon is in the middle of frame. Can I preset the tilt so it stays fixed and use that way?
The Feiyu-tech gimbal has two buttons on the board that let you preset the tilt angle before flight. You do not need to wire up anything else, changes Naza settings or modify your transmitter.

You can set the static position of the gimbal in the Naza Flight assistant software, alternatively you can fit the lever to your TX as already mentioned, this applies to the Zenmuse and third party gimbals but assumes you have the gimbal connected to the
Flight Controller.

Most third party gimbals use the Alexmos/Martinez control boards and have a function button which permits some basic manipulation, these functions need to be assigned via the corresponding gimbal software i.e SimpleBGC or BruGi dependant on what firmware you have installed.

Regards

Nidge

Thank you all for the quick reply. :D

OK, now I understand more about it after doing some research. The Phantom 2 isn't wifi app compatible anyway because the transmitter's operating frequency is the same as the gopro and vision wifi frequency 2.4 GHz. Only the FC40 and Vision can use the camera app because they both use 5.8 GHz for the flight controller.

I've seen listings on ebay for a new Phantom 2 package that includes a HD-D3 gimbal and it's more expensive than the package with the HD-D2 gimbal. Can anyone tell me what this third axis does and is it really worth the extra money?

Only had my FC40 for a few days now and I'm having a ball. The Hero2 encased and hung upside down on a fixed mount does very well with no jello at all. Just not as stable as I would like so I'll be getting a Phantom 2 soon.

These are the 3 axis to take into account. Well use a persons head as an example.

Pitch: this us like nodding your head. On your phantom your quad will pitch when moving forwards (downward pitch) or backwards (upwards pitch)

Roll: this is like moving your head to touch your ear to your shoulder. Roll concours when you move your phantom left or right with the right stick on the controller. The quad rolls downward in the direction it's moving.

Yaw is like shaking your head no. Yaw is when you rotate the phantom left and right with the left stick. This doesn't make your quad dip any direction, it just rotates it.

A 2 axis gimbal will level you for pitch and roll. A 3 axis adds yaw to keep you pointed the same way during the smaller yaw movements. A 2 axis gimbal will take care of most of what your looking for. You won't have the camera roll sideways or pitch up and down when the quad moves. If you do smaller yaw adjustments (or if the phantom does them while hovering in GPS mode) the image won't stay centered, it will move. To me, this is not a major issue. Most of the time when I'm yawing, I want to rotate the camera. If it's worth the extra $ to you to add yaw to the gimbal, then go 3 axis, but I think most folks will bad fine with 2 axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Jermz, that's exactly the answer I've been looking for and a good explanation. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic