Upgraded Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
While I'm waiting on my Inspire 1 to ship some day, I thought I'd make some improvements to my Phantom 2 Vision to keep me occupied while I wait.

My Phantom is about 1 year old. It worked OK, but definately had limited range.

First I tried the antenna changes you see in the youtube videos on both the TX and the wifi. Well, that didn't turn out very well. I borked the wifi and the TX range didn't improve at all. My drone still had these hiccups every 10-20 seconds as well as breaking contact around 500 ft.

So I decided to order an RE700 and the transmitter for the Vision+. What a difference! I can go 1800' at 300' elevation without breaking contact, both video and control. "Hiccups" are completely gone. The gimbal control on the TX works fine with the Vision camera. So very happy with both "improvements". The transmitter, I thought, was a good deal for $69. The wifi was $134.

I also purchased and set up the Epson Moverio BT-200 glasses. They work great! You can toggle them on and off if you want to kill the display and just look thru the lenses at your drone. Since you have the gimble control on the remote, your need to fiddle with the device's trackpad is minimal - just start/stop camera or video.

I know these subjects have been posted before, but I thought I'd add my positive feedback for anyone considering adding to the useful service of the older units.

You can also SSH into the RE and up the power output on the wifi from the default of 12dbm (i think it is) all the way upto 20dbm.. However 15-17dbm is recommened for stability.
Same can be done on the camera as well (on a vision 2+)

Its the same method that the FPV booster apps you buy for like $12 use.

I have mine permanently set/increased to 17dbm so I don't need to use the app every time I power on the devices. I did buy the apps initially to support the devs, plus the data logging feature that comes with one of the apps is very useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers