Upgraded my Advanced gimbal/cam to Pro...WOW!!!

"If you wan to believe what you read on here as fact instead of what the manufacturer says..."

I am enjoying my P3A but the point is that the manufacturer did NOT say. DJI could have made more money from me if I had known the whole story. They will probably will end up making more anyway. I can't see moving to an inferior product from another company. I have a lot of respect for 3D Robotics (been flying home-brew APM/Pixhawk birds a long time) but their DJI competition, the Solo, has lots of serious problems. On the plus side it is not a DJI clone.
That is what I used to fly before getting the P3. This P3 is so much more fun to fly. I should have bought one a long time ago.

Seriously, you guys are wearing me out. Yet AGAIN, I explain that the reason the Advanced can't do higher Lightbridge bandwidth is because it lacks the ability to PROCESS IT THAT QUICKLY. Zero to do with the actual Lighbridge transmission gear, zero to do with the camera, zero to do with firmware. Those who are reporting no difference in P3A and P3P - I guarantee that, like I've explained, you're flying at enough altitude, or somehow flying so slowly, that the Advanced Lightbridge can keep up. In which case, congratulations - you don't NEED the extra Lightbridge!

But, I'm tired of all the anecdotal BS.

SO I ISSUE YOU A CHALLENGE.

This is an untouched, 52MB .MOV of the live stream off of my ipad from a flight this evening. It was hot, so I flew sitting at the living room table, so the feed drops when I get too far away.

XZZV4419.mov

The challenge is this - it's your turn. Put up a link to a similar video. Cruising along at 300 feet will tell us nothing - where the P3A/P3P difference lies is in low-level flight, so go fly around the backyard or skim the treetops. Enough fooling around - let's let the live feeds do the talking.

For anyone patient enough to still be reading this thread, the Pro upgrade is 100% worth it - still can't believe how clear and awesome it is. It looks less perfect on my nice big PC monitor, but when flying FPV with VR goggles, it's totally immersive and takes the game to a whole new level of fun.

Seriously, you guys are wearing me out. Yet AGAIN, I explain that the reason the Advanced can't do higher Lightbridge bandwidth is because it lacks the ability to PROCESS IT THAT QUICKLY. Zero to do with the actual Lighbridge transmission gear, zero to do with the camera, zero to do with firmware. Those who are reporting no difference in P3A and P3P - I guarantee that, like I've explained, you're flying at enough altitude, or somehow flying so slowly, that the Advanced Lightbridge can keep up. In which case, congratulations - you don't NEED the extra Lightbridge!

But, I'm tired of all the anecdotal BS.

SO I ISSUE YOU A CHALLENGE.

This is an untouched, 52MB .MOV of the live stream off of my ipad from a flight this evening. It was hot, so I flew sitting at the living room table, so the feed drops when I get too far away.

XZZV4419.mov

The challenge is this - it's your turn. Put up a link to a similar video. Cruising along at 300 feet will tell us nothing - where the P3A/P3P difference lies is in low-level flight, so go fly around the backyard or skim the treetops. Enough fooling around - let's let the live feeds do the talking.

For anyone patient enough to still be reading this thread, the Pro upgrade is 100% worth it - still can't believe how clear and awesome it is. It looks less perfect on my nice big PC monitor, but when flying FPV with VR goggles, it's totally immersive and takes the game to a whole new level of fun.
Is that how it also looks on your ipad in real time when you are flying. That looks really good, The video feed on my Advanced looks just as clear if not a little cleaner, I have an ipad mini4 and NVidia shield K1. How did you get the file off of the ipad? When I get a chance this weekend I will upload mine.

Overall bitrate is 5Mbit on that video. That is indeed more than what Ive seen on my P3A using GO (should try Litchi, see if that makes a different). The playback also stutters badly a few times, I guess thats the price you pay for the bitrate.

I will considered it confirmed for now, unless someone with a P3A posts similar bitrate video. The question that remains, is how to get around it, because this is no hardware limitation.

What happens when you swap P3A and P3P camera's without doing a firmware update, or if you flash the "wrong" firmware?

Does litchi cache the local video? I just tried with litchi, I cant fly because of the weather, but indoors looking outside, I would swear it looks better than GO. But without access to the cached video, I cant confirm if there really is any difference in bitrate.

The playback does not stutter at all. Several times I lost signal due to sitting in the house to fly.

It is a hardware limitation. It's been discussed a lot here by people who actually know.

It's the same firmware.

Wow you have accomplished the unthinkable... Actually confirmed what everyone has been saying all along. Hardware limitation... Slider not indicative of true performance. Yay. Now can move along.. Again.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: hms
Overall bitrate is 5Mbit on that video. That is indeed more than what Ive seen on my P3A using GO (should try Litchi, see if that makes a different). The playback also stutters badly a few times, I guess thats the price you pay for the bitrate.

I will considered it confirmed for now, unless someone with a P3A posts similar bitrate video. The question that remains, is how to get around it, because this is no hardware limitation.

What happens when you swap P3A and P3P camera's without doing a firmware update, or if you flash the "wrong" firmware?
It does stutter quite a bit.

HWCM, it freezes when it drops signal, as I explained - is that stuttering to you?

Also, I'm anxious to see your Advanced live feed that is "just as clear if not a little cleaner." In DJI GO, on the white home screen where you see a photo of your model drone, hit "editor" at the bottom, then select your clip, then drag the yellow bars left and right to set the start/finish, then save.

Wow you have accomplished the unthinkable... Actually confirmed what everyone has been saying all along. Hardware limitation... Slider not indicative of true performance. Yay. Now can move along.. Again.

The slider on my Advanced makes a bit of a difference. It is noticeable. I doubt there is any difference in reality. The down-link on my Ipad mini 4 seems to look as good if not better than the video he posted when the slider is on 10, when on 2 , it is not as clear at all.So I doubt it is a hardware limitation. The P3P and the P3A have the same exact hardware other than the camera.

HWCM, it freezes when it drops signal, as I explained - is that stuttering to you?

Also, I'm anxious to see your Advanced live feed that is "just as clear if not a little cleaner." In DJI GO, on the white home screen where you see a photo of your model drone, hit "editor" at the bottom, then select your clip, then drag the yellow bars left and right to set the start/finish, then save.
No, I notice the dropped signal too. At around 13 seconds on to around 19 seconds you can see the stuttering. I do not see an issue though. Just an observation. The video feed still looks decent.

I see absolutely no stuttering from 13 to 19 - only around 26 does the signal drop. There's a small bit of pixelation that resolves, but absolutely nothing like my Advanced used to.

HWCM, post the video. Anything else is anecdotal. I anted up - your turn. Then you can tell all the technical experts and repairmen on this forum that they are wrong and that it is not a hardware limitation.

I see absolutely no stuttering from 13 to 19 - only around 26 does the signal drop. There's a small bit of pixelation that resolves, but absolutely nothing like my Advanced used to.

HWCM, post the video. Anything else is anecdotal. I anted up - your turn. Then you can tell all the technical experts and repairmen on this forum that they are wrong and that it is not a hardware limitation.

That is good then. It must be both my computers and phone showing the same stuttering at the exact same point in the video. That makes sense.
Will do when i get a chance to fly again.

I also bought a P3A because I didn't need the 4K, but then I realized that the video feed was better on P3P and I wanted better FPV. I bought a nice condition P3P with extra battery, case, etc. Then sold my whole P3A and my case. I ended up with a P3P, 3 batteries, gimbal saver metal part, etc. I even found a 300A controller on CL for $80 so I have an extra one of those too. The P3P does have better video back to my phone. I use a phone magnifier headset I made and you can see the quality difference. P3P all the way!

The playback does not stutter at all. Several times I lost signal due to sitting in the house to fly.

If you dont want to call a signal drop a bad stutter, then well, whatever.

It is a hardware limitation. It's been discussed a lot here by people who actually know.

I dont buy it. The lightbridge unit is exactly the same on the advanced and pro, you didnt even change it. The receiver is the same. When recording, the P3A camera can encode up to 60Mbit/s. There is no reason the LB link would be limited to 3 Mbit, other than an artificial limitation in soft or firmware. We might not be able to get around that without buying different hardware, but that still doesnt make it a hardware limitation.

It's the same firmware.

The pro and advanced have different firmware:
Phantom 3 Advanced - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI

Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI

Different file sizes too.

What is the distance from RC to aircraft that P3A & P3P will have identical transmission feeds ?

Vertigo, call it whatever you want - what you're calling "stutter" is actually a freeze in video due to lost signal and has nothing to do with bandwidth. And suit yourself - you don't want to believe it's a hardware limitation, and I've tried to explain, but I'll just save my breath. Let me know when you've gotten higher bitrate from your Advanced.

And it's all-in-one firmware. I didn't change firmware between Advanced gimbal and Pro, and it's recognized as a Pro and records accordingly.

And still waiting for you, or anyone else, to post a comparable video feed from an Advanced.

Kdrak, it's not really about distance - it's about the amount of information that can be sent at one time. Remember in the old days with dialup internet when images would load blurred and then clear up? Same thing. If you're flying at altitude or very slowly where the image isn't changing rapidly, Advanced is fine. It's just when flying low or things change quickly (like power lines) that the difference is visible.

Reactions: hms
Still... Jeebus Mary and Joseph... (Holds head) I'm out..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4